Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 10-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #519
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STILLEN View Post
Evo's usually aren't twin turbo. The engine in the Evo is a 2 liter 4 cylinder, even stroked its 2.2-2.3 liters. Generally to get to 1000 hp in the Evo, they will do a big single GT42 or larger at big, big boost numbers 40+psi.

Most of the twins you will see are in a V6 or inline 6 configuration.
I didn't mean that, Theres the castrol something engine build contest before and I think it's on modified or import tuner AMS shop built the TT evo motor that got the gold.

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #520
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Ok... today is the day! Rich is hitting the track! Now it is really cold here so traction may be an issue! High today is upper 30s/low 40s!!! We are going to have some great air but the question will be can we hook?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #521
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Ok... today is the day! Rich is hitting the track! Now it is really cold here so traction may be an issue! High today is upper 30s/low 40s!!! We are going to have some great air but the question will be can we hook?
Don't be afraid to heat 'em up.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #522
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Gonna be tough to hook I'd imagine....so get a little smoke rollin from those babys before you go on down the line!

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #523
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #524
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Does anyone know if scrming was able to get the ported throttle body before he went? I know they said it would be a couple of weeks, but just hoping...
Old 11-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #525
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Does anyone know if scrming was able to get the ported throttle body before he went? I know they said it would be a couple of weeks, but just hoping...
Just got back from the track... no TB...

Rich had traction issues and shifting problems.. the 1-2 shift that people are having issues with really hurt him... he had to really kind of baby the shifts... also the gears are so short in the 6 speed he would hit the rev limiter before he knew it.....
Old 11-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #526
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
Quote:
Just got back from the track... no TB...

Rich had traction issues and shifting problems.. the 1-2 shift that people are having issues with really hurt him... he had to really kind of baby the shifts... also the gears are so short in the 6 speed he would hit the rev limiter before he knew it.....

Did he change over to the 3.73 gears?
MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #527
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
I don't remember hearing that he did switch gears. What tire combo is he running?

Rev limiter comes quick, we need to get a shift-light on these. When you hit the rev-limiter it feels like it kills the motor for a second(it feels like an eternity) whether you're changing gears or not.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #528
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
Did he change over to the 3.73 gears?
Not yet, he did talk about still wanting to change gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
I don't remember hearing that he did switch gears. What tire combo is he running?

Rev limiter comes quick, we need to get a shift-light on these. When you hit the rev-limiter it feels like it kills the motor for a second(it feels like an eternity) whether you're changing gears or not.
He was running the stock RS tires from I recall.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #529
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Enough excuses, what were the times/traps?
I can understand a very slow start based on the temps, but the trap should be decent if anything else went well, even bouncing off the limiter a bit.

For the record, you don't want steeper gears with all that extra torque available, turbo cars are torque monsters, relatively speaking. Taller gears help keep traction and so make for a faster car overall, especially in the lower gears. As far as the NA V6's go (at least the manual), 3.73's with decent tires would help a lot based on my experience.

Last edited by ALLTRBO; 11-07-2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Morning clarification of a sleep-deprived late night post.
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #530
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
Enough excuses, what were the times/traps?
I can understand a very slow start based on the temps, but the trap should be decent if anything else went well, even bouncing off the limiter a bit.

For the record, you don't want steeper gears with all that extra torque available, turbo cars are torque monsters, relatively speaking. Taller gears help keep traction and so make for a faster car overall, especially in the lower gears. As far as the NA V6's go (at least the manual), 3.73's with decent tires would help a lot based on my experience.
I believe they were in the upper 14s with traps in the low 90s... basically loosing all the boost on the shifts... having to baby the 1-2 shift... also apparently it takes a long time to recover from hitting the rev limiter... So basically would kill the whole run.. Rich was trying his darnedest to get a good run, but just couldn't seem to get there... Rich loves the STS setup on the street, like Z and Jim... but with a manual at the strip it seems to be a different story...
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #531
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Ouch...

Did you guys datalog the runs by chance?
Hopefully Rich can figure out some techniques and tricks at the strip to help with those issues, I'm sure he'll tame them better as time goes on. That's a lot of changes to get used to all at once. I'm sure more traction might help because I imagine he was blowing away the cold tires on the cold pavement. What were the 60 foot's? I guess I can see all of that adding up to less than stellar times.

Since it has gotten colder out (~50*) my car spins all the way through first (even from a roll-on) and a bit into second, heh. I have the 19's with the stock Pirelli all-seasons at the moment, but they're still decent tires, and the car is 100% stock other than the current wheel swap from the RS 20's.
That being said, I can see the STS cars begging in that respect (as usual).

I think a MUCH lighter flywheel/clutch setup would greatly benefit these cars (both turbo and N/A), to me it's painfully obvious in every respect that this car's flywheel or flywheel/clutch is way too heavy. Losing all that mass and reducing the MOI will be a huge help with the second gear grinding (among other issues). With a lighter rotating mass, the free-wheeling RPM's drop faster, and at the same time the synchro's don't have to work nearly as hard to pull the RPM's down for the next gear because the mass is easier to slow down. For the turbo cars, shifting faster will help keep the turbo spooled a little better (as was alluded to). We also have a pathetic first to second RPM drop, but without tranny gear ratio changes we just have to deal with that.

Once we get some lighter flywheel options out there, I think a lot of the shifting issues will be improved, if not cured.

As for the rev limiter, if the tires and the clutch hold well enough, it's just a matter of practicing for the setup and conditions. It's usually better to short-shift a little than to hit the limiter.

Either way, the STS cars can only get better from here.

How's yours doing lately, Z?
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #532
Rdditten

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2LT RS, STS TURBO
Send a message via AIM to Rdditten Send a message via Yahoo to Rdditten
No excuses, just have some issues to try to resolve, I did run a 14:245 which I won't call good at all, I know it has potential to do much better. In each run, the 60 foot times were not where they should be, 2.1-2.4. 1st and 2nd gear I was spinning the tires even after the slow shift.
At this point I am at a loss how to get past the 1-2 shift being so difficult. I doubt a shifter change would make a difference as I feel it is a clutch/transmission issue?
Seems speed shifting is difficult in modern transmissions, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113398 and listen to the shifts.
When under boost in 1st, 2nd, hitting the rev limiter comes fast with the spinning of the tires. Having slicks would help this. Once moving down the track without that issue may change the whole situation?
I have some things to try after thinking about it and discussing it.
The Slicks are needed for sure. I have been looking for some lightweight wheels. Seems they aren't available in 18" to 20" that I can find. Anyone know of any? 18".
I am just out of time this year to make the changes now with the weather in Michigan moving in to winter. I will be back and hopefully with some more positive results.
I do have stock tires, stock rear end. Hmm, maybe I can plan a vacation to Florida and take it there? lol, Maybe a little Disney majic?
I will see if I can put a video on later today.
Rdditten is offline   Reply With Quote