Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #71
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
I bought an L99 because i loved the tapshift. It was fast, loud and just generally bad ass.

After a month though I was kind of bored with not being able to shift manually... or rev driving through parking lots, haha. So I traded it in for a LS3

All that aside I definately noticed the L99 felt "quicker" when I mashed down on it. With that said though the LS3 is definitely louder, and just feels more powerful. I say its feels more powerful because I can chirp in 1st-3 no problem which i couldn't do in the L99. The L99 was just too efficient in shifting.

It just comes down to what you want, I don't bash people with L99s because I drive a manual, i just have a manual because I think its more fun. Either way, it's one of the fastest cars (under 50k haha) so just enjoy what you have.

When you're really good in a past life, you come back as yourself

mcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #72
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
see people really/ truly do not understand how much better the car feels in daily driving with a manual... you feel the low end TQ better. auto are not good sports car, man reason is you are missing the feel of the car...

"Ohhh, I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob..." (let's see who gets this one first...)

Last edited by PnCRedJwl2SS; 07-05-2010 at 01:37 AM.
PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #73
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's because real men drive stick. Just ask macho man Randy Savage

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #74
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
The thing I have a problem with the L99 is the hesitation of the AFM being overridden, the A6 definitely has too soft a shift for me, BUT i'm used to driving a truck with a 5.3 that gets a better ET at the track than my Camaro, the truck will run 13.686 @ 98.02, and the car will run 13.744 @ 102.88, the truck has 4.10 gears the Camaro has 3.24 gears. I'm sure that if I changed the gears and a few tweaks to the tranny tune, overide the AFM and take out the torque management,the Camaro would feel better to me. I've beaten a few manual trans cars because they had to shift or missed a shift, I've had manual trans cars before so I know how to drive em, but the main thing I'm wanting is the consistency of the shift of the automatic and always in the right gear.If the L99 had a 3.45 gear, it would be a different animal, but that had to be done to meet federal emission guidelines for mpg. Maybe a manual is more fun but in traffic it's a PAIN IN THE A**.

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #75
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
The AFM issue with the L99, the skip shift with the LS3. Both of those have fixes. I had my car tuned and had AFM turned off in the tune. I also had the shifts tightened up a bit. It's fun fun fun to drive it.

I love my L99. It's the right car with the right transmission for me. I don't like to "row" as my Dad would have said. I am secure enough in myself not to care what other people think I should have.

Similarly, I think if someone prefers the V6 over the V8, that is their choice as well and that is what they should get.

It's your car. Get what YOU like to drive. Don't let someone else who has an inferiority complex tell you otherwise. Enjoy YOUR Camaros, everyone!

(PS: Yes, I can and have driven a stick. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or a stud to do so. It just takes some practice.)
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #76
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
(PS: Yes, I can and have driven a stick. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or a stud to do so. It just takes some practice.)
....Or have to be a male. My big sis' is the one who taught me manual, in the parking lot of my middle school.

I see where the stigma, associated with Automatics, comes from... but really... now? Anyone who would give me a look of disgust, due to my choice of transmissions, in this day and age... ain't worth my time!

As for the V6 vs. V8, this is a much more complex issue than just transmissions (+$1,000 for A6), as in many cases it comes down to what someone can or can not afford. I would guess there are many V6 owners who would love to have a V8, but the cost (short and long term) were just too much. But similarly to the A6 vs. M6, if someone would give me a look of disgust, due to my choice of engines, they ain't worth my time!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #77
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
The AFM issue with the L99, the skip shift with the LS3. Both of those have fixes. I had my car tuned and had AFM turned off in the tune. I also had the shifts tightened up a bit. It's fun fun fun to drive it.

I love my L99. It's the right car with the right transmission for me. I don't like to "row" as my Dad would have said. I am secure enough in myself not to care what other people think I should have.

Similarly, I think if someone prefers the V6 over the V8, that is their choice as well and that is what they should get.

It's your car. Get what YOU like to drive. Don't let someone else who has an inferiority complex tell you otherwise. Enjoy YOUR Camaros, everyone!

Not trying to thread jack, but....

If I were still in college, I would take whatever you're teaching just because... I've read a number of your posts and you seem to be one well put together person...

I am married to a collegiate director of athletics, and you two say and sound very much alike... (she doesn't take any crap either)

I'll bet you have a great class, whatever it is... and I giggle thinking about the guys in the class that act so macho, and then see you driving off in a car they would love to have...

Enjoy that ride... Drive it like you stole it...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #78
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Not trying to thread jack, but....

If I were still in college, I would take whatever you're teaching just because... I've read a number of your posts and you seem to be one well put together person...

I am married to a collegiate director of athletics, and you two say and sound very much alike... (she doesn't take any crap either)

I'll bet you have a great class, whatever it is... and I giggle thinking about the guys in the class that act so macho, and then see you driving off in a car they would love to have...

Enjoy that ride... Drive it like you stole it...

Thanks for your kind remarks. It's a fine line to walk as a woman. I don't like to take any crap, but I don't want to seem snotty either. The stereotypes go like this: where a man is authoritative, a woman is a bitch. Sad, but true. I try to have the self confidence to follow through on my convictions, but also willing to hear all sides of an argument. I'm not a fan of wimpy women. I want to slap 'em! (BTW, there is a big difference between feminine and wimpy.)

It is very much a man's world, this car thing. My brothers are both motorheads. I grew up with that. When I was a kid, I was much happier helping my brother work on his car than playing dolls. I've always loved muscle cars and am finally at a point in my life when I can afford the one I want. I have worked hard to get it and I'm not going to listen to anyone who says my L99 is in any way inferior. It's not and I love it.

By the way, I teach geology. Thanks again!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #79
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Emma =

The end

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #80
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Too each his own. If you do your research historically drag racers have preferred auto's (all be it beefed up). I will tell you that replacing the TC helps immensely . But I would imagine if you replace the stock clutch in the M6 you will see improvements as well.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #81
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
I test drove both and just bought a 2011 A6. I had a 99 M6 and loved it but for some reason just liked the 5th gen A6 better. love the different modes you can run it in and 6 gears is awesome. thought the 'paddle' shifters would be cheasy, but I love them. Seeing the gear selection and RPM on the HUD is sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdguru View Post
31000 for ss1 no options and who in the hell would buy a SS1 V6 for kids SS1 for girls LS3 the only way to go G8 Gxp 200lbs more my bad so lets think here 200lb more 27 less hp so 5 tenths slower now 373 gear now mabe 3tenths slower 4 door car sad so so sad
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #82
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
The A6 vs M6 debate is a matter of personal preference. Get whichever you like best and suits your driving style. If you do want an L99 it can be left stock or set up like a rocket. It's up to you.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #83
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
13.3 @ 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP'N B View Post
The thing I have a problem with the L99 is the hesitation of the AFM being overridden, the A6 definitely has too soft a shift for me, BUT i'm used to driving a truck with a 5.3 that gets a better ET at the track than my Camaro, the truck will run 13.686 @ 98.02, and the car will run 13.744 @ 102.88, the truck has 4.10 gears the Camaro has 3.24 gears. I'm sure that if I changed the gears and a few tweaks to the tranny tune, overide the AFM and take out the torque management,the Camaro would feel better to me. I've beaten a few manual trans cars because they had to shift or missed a shift, I've had manual trans cars before so I know how to drive em, but the main thing I'm wanting is the consistency of the shift of the automatic and always in the right gear.If the L99 had a 3.45 gear, it would be a different animal, but that had to be done to meet federal emission guidelines for mpg. Maybe a manual is more fun but in traffic it's a PAIN IN THE A**.
Mine does 13.3 @ 106 MPH and it's a 100% bone stock L99 A6. The AFM only comes into play during light loads cruising around. If you floor or go over 3000 RPMs it then it's running on all 8 cylinders. It actually kicks out much sooner than flooring it, basically anytime you put a load on it. When you are cruising you can feel it running on 4 and when you give it a little more throttle you can feel the other 4 kick in. It's really no big deal, but someday I'll turn it off. I think if the L99 A6 had 3.73 gears , maybe a 14% increase in RWHP/TQ. Then it would be a different animal. The 3.45s really are not that much of a difference from the 3.25 or 3.27s whatever they are, maybe a 6% in RWHP/TQ

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto

Last edited by 2010 Bumblebee; 07-05-2010 at 03:21 AM.
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
l99, ls3