Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
slomaro3.4

Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
Moving to San Diego, want opinions

I'll be moving out to San Diego after graduation for a job in the Sorrento Valley. I was out there last Summer so I sort of have a feel for the area and we were looking at living in PB mostly for the nightlife and proximity to the beach. It is a little far since I like to ride my bike to work at least a few days/week so I was looking for opinions on alternate locations as well. Trying to stay under $1600 for a 2br. Let me know what you think!
slomaro3.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
there are lots of nice communities around san diego. good luck a finding a nice place in PB with that budget
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
there are lots of nice communities around san diego. good luck a finding a nice place in PB with that budget
to that! You WON'T like what you get for $1600 in PB. That's prime territory, and plenty of candidates to pay twice that.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
slomaro3.4

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/3729057813.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/3722999841.html

There are a few others, as of now I'm limiting my search to something with a garage. I'm not saying there is a lot in that price range, but from the pictures those don't really look all that bad. I'm 22 as is my room mate and compared to my current place here in Florida, anywhere is fine prettymuch.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
SPCBA

First place will rape you or the garage and second the garage doesn't look like big enough to fit your car hehe.

Good luck tho. If it was me I would live close to work in a nice area for more bang for the buck on the budget and commute to beach
Old 04-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
slomaro3.4

^^The first place has been relisted with the garage included, no pictures though(leave it to a car guy to want pictures of a garage I guess). But yeah the second one probably would be too small. There is another one: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/3716574053.html

I'm also comfortable paying a little extra for a garage so I'll have to see how that works out. We were toying with the idea of living in Mira Mesa, but lets be honest, its two guys in our early 20s making pretty good money and I can alter my schedule for commute time. So being near the beach would be very nice for the weekends and even the afternoons.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
CryoMan10

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Man i agree with the others..... there is places for a a lot less near the 8 .. just jump on the 8 and pb is only a short drive..
Vararam Tune only version
comp cam 223/231 112lsa
Stainless headers 1 7/8
Stock H pipe no mufflers
solid subframe bushings
Hotchkiss stage 3 suspension
TSW wheels on NT05
3.91 gears
Nitrous outlet plate system.
CryoMan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I ended up in Escondido to get a decent place. My budget was 1800. Got a 3 bedroom house with 2 car garage for that here. They also have Cruis'n the Grand every Friday here. It's worth my 30 minute commute to downtown SD for work.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 1955 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomaro3.4 View Post
^^The first place has been relisted with the garage included, no pictures though(leave it to a car guy to want pictures of a garage I guess). But yeah the second one probably would be too small. There is another one: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/3716574053.html

I'm also comfortable paying a little extra for a garage so I'll have to see how that works out. We were toying with the idea of living in Mira Mesa, but lets be honest, its two guys in our early 20s making pretty good money and I can alter my schedule for commute time. So being near the beach would be very nice for the weekends and even t the afternoons.
Talk about a small world, we just sold a duplex within a block from where the Craig list add is. The reasons we sold it was the closer you get to Garnet Street the more problems ( to many bars). It's great for the bar scene, but headaches for landlords. Best of luck!!!
arod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Parking in PB is a PITA! I can't tell you how many time I had to call a tow truck so I could get out of my garage! You will have some jack a$$ park in front of your garage so they can hit the beach. Living in PB is nice 7 months a year, summertime SUCKS unless you never leave your place on anything but your feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
slomaro3.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryoMan10 View Post
Man i agree with the others..... there is places for a a lot less near the 8 .. just jump on the 8 and pb is only a short drive..
Yeah, but I don't want to have to jump on the freeway everytime I go out. I was in Mira Mesa all summer and it was obnoxious getting a cab down to PB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
I ended up in Escondido to get a decent place. My budget was 1800. Got a 3 bedroom house with 2 car garage for that here. They also have Cruis'n the Grand every Friday here. It's worth my 30 minute commute to downtown SD for work.
Escondido is too far. PB is within biking distance to work in the Sorrento Valley, so that is a big plus for me since I enjoy that and it keeps me healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Parking in PB is a PITA! I can't tell you how many time I had to call a tow truck so I could get out of my garage! You will have some jack a$$ park in front of your garage so they can hit the beach. Living in PB is nice 7 months a year, summertime SUCKS unless you never leave your place on anything but your feet.

I figured that would be one of the issues. It'll be me and a room mate, so my car goes in the garage and his goes behind it I'm thinking.

I'm guessing my real concerns about PB are, if we stay a little ways off of Garnett will it be super loud? Will we still have the crazy drunks peeing in our yard, that sort of stuff. Also I mean if anyone in SD has the hookup for rentals let me know I'm a software engineer so trust me I'm not a wild partier who will wreck everything haha
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
SPCBA

if you want to live that close you will have issues with drunks and noise...also the parking in summer as already stated. its a cool place to live for someone of your age but it comes with disadvantages.

goodluck with your search and have fun!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Are you wanting to be in PB for the "scenery", surfing, or ????? Most of the rentals are fairly run down, unless you look at the larger condo complex's and I can't think of any that are close to the "scenery".

Most of he places in PB have no parking behind the garages, but it happens anyway, usually when you are trying to go somewhere else.....

You would be much better off looking for a condo downtown in the gas lamp district or mission valley. The places in Fashion Valley are nice, but there is a methadone clinic by the mall that brings in problems. I had my car broken into twice in two months, which is why I left San Diego and came up to Temecula. That and I bought a house for less than my rent was.

If you will be working in Sorrento Valley, you could look at La Jolla, Del Mar, or the south side of Oceanside to be close to the beach and have a nicer place and the commute wouldn't be too ugly.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
slomaro3.4

So now I guess we are considering UTC for a few reasons. Opinions on that area at all?