Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Why threads get closed with no explanation

Just curious about the inconsistencies with closed threads.

I havnt seen it a whole lot, but I guess enough to post about it.

The auto vs manual thread, which I just read every post in, was closed. Why?
No one was getting unrulely or being rude to each other. Was a nice debate from what I could see. Was it closed because the mod was tired of that subject, it bothered you in some way. You felt it was stupid to argue about?

Same thing with a previous thread with somebody saying they didn't like the convertible. No one was being rude, just a few people saying why they do or don't like the verts. Got closed, no real explanation. why?

What's the point of a forum if people can't debate and trade ideas on things, regardless of someones personal opinion of what a worthy topic is.

While on the other hand, every week a thread pops up about 30in rims on a camaro and while most people here seem decent enough, those threads are always sprinkled with light to moderate racism. But not one has been closed.
I guess cuz people think the majority of camaro drivers are middle aged white men its ok? It's like people here don't seem to understand that rice or ricer is infact an ethnic slur and every Asian person I'm friends with takes offense to it.
Just like calling any and everything ghetto that doesn't fit surburban white American astetics.

Overall I'm just saying it seems like the threads that really should be closed, never do and the ones that do get closed I'm always left wondering what happened and why was it closed for what seems like no good reason at all other some mods personal issues.

That's all.

expect nothing, but take everything
Old 03-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I sense a CLICK of the lock coming really fast here... JMHO. And if you need a reason, read your first post...

Mainly, you questioned the mods. I don't think they are required to give reason. THey felt it was necesary so they close them (I can honestly say i never read either thread so I don't have any ideas why)

Secondly, this thread can go no where good...
Old 03-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

If it gets closed, so be it. But kind of proves my point.

So questioning a mod is grounds for a post to be closed? Seems pretty self serving and egotistical to me.

I know no one is required to give an explanation, but it would be a nice thing to do. It's what I would do.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
If it gets closed, so be it. But kind of proves my point.

So questioning a mod is grounds for a post to be closed? Seems pretty self serving and egotistical to me.

I know no one is required to give an explanation, but it would be a nice thing to do. It's what I would do.
I am not saying I agree or that its right... I am jsut saying that they kind of hold the power. Sometimes you just go with the punches...

And I was not disagreeing at all with your first post, but that doesnt mean it wont get closed
Old 03-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

I know you wernt disagreeing. I know they have the power to close any thread they like, but just cuz you can don't mean you should. I dont think you're taking anybodies side or anything like that.

I'm just asking for someone who's a mod, preferably the one closing threads to say something. Or not.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Why? And I'm not trying to be a prick here. But why does it matter? Do they really need to validate the decisions they make? Do we, as members, need to know the reasoning behind every choice. Honestly the mods close threads because they feel like the thread is breaking a/some community rule.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I believe itchy trigger fingers is likely one reason....

Another may be because by sheer volume of posts and the law of averages, you'll always have the rule benders/breakers in every bunch. So what you may or may not see, is the cause of such events. You always can see the aftermath.

If you're that concerned about it, start another thread on the subject, as long as it's not taboo.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
They have to close threads just to keep up with all the repeated threads about "ruined camaros on 30"s
Old 03-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Why? And I'm not trying to be a prick here. But why does it matter? Do they really need to validate the decisions they make? Do we, as members, need to know the reasoning behind every choice. Honestly the mods close threads because they feel like the thread is breaking a/some community rule.
Humm, with that attitude you come off as the type that would be ok with anything the police or gov did with no explanations behind it. Only the statement of we are the authority.

I'm not asking them to explain everything they do on the site. But I think closing a thread is an action that should have some kind of explanation for multiple reasons. One of the best would be so other people can not make the same mistake with there own threads/post. But if no one knows the real reasons it's up in the air.
A simple link to the rule you broke would be all that's needed.
I actually saw a post in this same section with someone asking after the fact why his post was removed, and the mod replied with the rule he broke. But funny enough closed that thread right after he posted. Which was kind of interesting since looking at the actual rule and what the person did, I think it was debatable if he broke the rule or not. But now I know not to post in any any sellers thread and mention anything about a competitor. For whatever reason.

What's one of the first thing a police officer asks you when he pulls you over.
Do you know why I stopped you.

I'm pretty sure in there training somewhere they are told to do this, and for good reason. Can you imagine people getting pulled over all the time and not knowing what the ticket was for till they went to court.

Its just plain and simple, be polite. And people will treat you that way. Set the tone. If the mods all agreed to post explanations with links to the broken rule when they close threads. Maybe it would cut down on the number of threads they would have to close.

Just a thought.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
There are a number of reasons. Sometimes, if we see a thread heading in a bad direction with no hope of recovery, we'll just close it. Usually it is because we have seen the same thing over and over in other threads and we know how it is going to end. Other times, there may have been public warnings previously stating something along the lines of 'if this continues, the thread will be closed'. If people keep arguing, or start arguing again a couple days later, the thread gets closed. In these cases, there is an explanation, but you just have to go back a couple pages to see it. Another reason might be because we feel the topic is simply completely worthless, though this is usually because of trolling and the thread is deleted more often than closed (however, members never see deleted threads so the remainder will still look like a thread was closed without explanation).

Also, you should understand that threads that get closed usually have deleted posts which you can't see. So if you partook in a decent discussion one day and it turns into a bunch of senseless arguing while you're gone, a mod can come in and close and deletes the garbage posts. To you, it looks like there was no reason but not to us. In those cases, the offender(s) usually get an infraction so they know what they did.

If we simply delete a post of yours, don't worry about it unless you receive an infraction along with it. It could have been a reply to something else that was problematic or may have done as a preventative action: in and of itself, it may have been fine but chances are, someone would have taken it the wrong way. As for closing a thread where a staff member explains their actions, why bother keeping it open? Question asked, answer given. There is no real discussion available to be had.

If you feel that we are not acting on posts or threads, report them (the little red and white triangle to the left of each post, ). That e-mails a link to the post to every moderator on staff. Include a brief explanation about why you reported it and we will look at it and take action if we think action is required.

Lastly, on behalf of the entire Camaro5 staff, I have to say it is a bit discouraging that you feel that we close threads simply because we can. We always have reasons, and we never close a thread because we are losing an argument or any other sort of abuse of power. I understand the frustration that some of our members have when they only see half the story. But believe me, we always have the best interest of the site (instead of ourselves) in mind when we act as moderators.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Old 03-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #12
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Thanks for the very nice reply. It explains a lot, esp the deleted post in a thread that's closed. It looks like nothing happened if you didn't see it while it was going on but after the fact, which is what I think I usually see. So I wonder a lot, what happened I don't see anything bad.
It kind of sucks when you delete an entire thread, it only shows that way for you guys.

But again, thanks for the explanation. It sheds some light on a lot of the questions I had.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Officers ask you that question as a way to get an admission of guilt. However I can understand where you are coming from and the curiosity behind our question. I am glad that someone was able to answer it for you.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
SSAINT

Drives: "11 2SS/RS VR vert BG/BG SW stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There are a number of reasons. Sometimes, if we see a thread heading in a bad direction with no hope of recovery, we'll just close it. Usually it is because we have seen the same thing over and over in other threads and we know how it is going to end. Other times, there may have been public warnings previously stating something along the lines of 'if this continues, the thread will be closed'. If people keep arguing, or start arguing again a couple days later, the thread gets closed. In these cases, there is an explanation, but you just have to go back a couple pages to see it. Another reason might be because we feel the topic is simply completely worthless, though this is usually because of trolling and the thread is deleted more often than closed (however, members never see deleted threads so the remainder will still look like a thread was closed without explanation).

Also, you should understand that threads that get closed usually have deleted posts which you can't see. So if you partook in a decent discussion one day and it turns into a bunch of senseless arguing while you're gone, a mod can come in and close and deletes the garbage posts. To you, it looks like there was no reason but not to us. In those cases, the offender(s) usually get an infraction so they know what they did.

If we simply delete a post of yours, don't worry about it unless you receive an infraction along with it. It could have been a reply to something else that was problematic or may have done as a preventative action: in and of itself, it may have been fine but chances are, someone would have taken it the wrong way. As for closing a thread where a staff member explains their actions, why bother keeping it open? Question asked, answer given. There is no real discussion available to be had.

If you feel that we are not acting on posts or threads, report them (the little red and white triangle to the left of each post, ). That e-mails a link to the post to every moderator on staff. Include a brief explanation about why you reported it and we will look at it and take action if we think action is required.

Lastly, on behalf of the entire Camaro5 staff, I have to say it is a bit discouraging that you feel that we close threads simply because we can. We always have reasons, and we never close a thread because we are losing an argument or any other sort of abuse of power. I understand the frustration that some of our members have when they only see half the story. But believe me, we always have the best interest of the site (instead of ourselves) in mind when we act as moderators.
Well said. I'm a supervisor at my job. Some times there is a beef that everyone knows about and I have to talk to or reprimand an individual about a problem. The others who know of the beef see an individul reprimanded or disciplined about it and the majority think it is screwed up but the individual and I know what the real deal is. The rest of them don't need to know. Mods, keep on keeping on! It's a thankless job.

Closed Thread