Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Plati Dipped my car...First time try at this

So I've been wanting to get into Plasti Dip more and see how hard it is. Depending on the experience, my plan is to make something of it one day and make earn a couple bucks on the side. I ordered all the paint and equipment I thought I needed and took a wack at it. It didnt come out perfect or professional but I had to start somewhere and learn. Can't fail or succeed until you try

The color is all made up.

KandyPearls.com
Team Orange 25g - 3 bags
Burnt Orange 25g - 1 bag
24k Gold 25g - 1 bag

1 Gallon of Clear
1 Gallon of Gloss
2 Uncut gallons of Orange (used for base)
2 Gallons Xylene (used to cut the orange and make 4 sprayable gallons)

The color may not be for everyone but I like it. Plus I plan on changing it every few months to use as a marketing tool anyway.

For now I call the color Honey Suckle OR King Tut...still deciding.

This was not as easy as I thought it'd be for the first time. I spent months researching forums/blogs, watching videos, talking to shops who dip cars before giving this a shot. There were many issues along the way but I felt like I was able to do a halfway decent job getting by them. I have a few other cars that friends are allowing me to use as well (they are buying their own paint) to prefect my technique.

Best thing about this is it come right off when I'm done with it and is very inexpensive to do.
Attached Images

2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I like the color. Great job. How will it stand up to the elements and washing? What do you do in case of rock chips?
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
holy shyte! thats amazing!

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Credit where credit is due, I usually don't like plasti-dipped cars, but you did a really nice job, congrats!
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Akatsuki

I like it man, definitely King Tut
Akatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
KeyWil

Drives: 2011 Blk 1LS A6
Talking

Man...... no disrespect...........but that look AMAZING for a 1st try!
KeyWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
Great Job man!!

I actually like that color a lot.

Now put on a set of lowering springs and you are good to go!

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
TVTI

Drives: 2012 1SS
I think it looks great!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Honestly NOT my style but I'll be damned if it doesn't look fantastic. Excellent job bro.

I vote for King Tut also...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
Looks great!

what kind of gun did you use?
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
I like the color. Great job. How will it stand up to the elements and washing? What do you do in case of rock chips?

Plan on washing with Simple Green and basic car soap.
As for rock chips...I doubt it'll be an issue. This stuff is pretty thick and durable. I have 7 layers sprayed total now and actually plan on 2 more once I get my new order of paint in to correct a few "trouble" areas I'm not pleased with. It would have to be a pretty decent scrape against something or knife to tear through Plasti Dip but if so, I'll just spray that area or peel away a portion and spray it again. But we'll see......Using my car as a test subject for it so I know what'll happen if I do it to other people cars.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
Mark@PCMofNC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
For touch ups, put on a pair of rubber gloves and wet your fingertip with paint thinner. You can soften the plastidip up and spread it around the 'chipped' area. If it looks bad once its smoothed out, just spray a coat or two in that area and it should look like nothing happened

Same trick works if it peels at the edge of a window, door handle, etc... Just wet the peeling portion with thinner and you can get it tacky enough to stick back down. Its wild stuff!
Mark@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
Looks great!

what kind of gun did you use?
That was the tricky part. I started with the Wagner ReadyPaint sprayer which was ok for the base Orange. It didnt get the coverage I wanted at first and it took a ton of light coats to get something I could work with. Maybe I was being scared and just spraying too thing

When I went to do the top coat (Gloss+Clear+Pearls) the gun started clogging up during the first coat. I took it apart cleaned it and finished the coat and then it did it all over again when I went back for the second. Rather than clean it again because it was a B@%!$..I went to the store before it closed and bought another one. The new one did the same thing between the 2nd and 3rd coat. I cleaned it and tried a thinner layer for the remainder of the 3rd coat and for some reason it started shooting a weird white fuzzy over spray. So I stopped and went to sleep (was 12:30am).

Woke up the next day pulled the car out the garage and almost lost it. It was TERRIBLE. White fuzzy over spray over the whole car. I could barely tell the color and was ready to peel it all off and give up. BUT i'd come to far already to stop. Took both guns back to the store clogged with paint and returned them. Ended up getting the cheapo HVLP Wagner sprayer for 50 bucks. I came home and took a microfiber rag sprayed with Xylene and rubbed the entire car down. This took away all the white fuzz and texture and make it look like the overspray fuzz never happened. I sprayed about 2 more coats (all the paint I had left) with the cheapo gun and it gave no issues.

I am DEFINITELY going to buy either the DYC plasti dip gun or the Earlex version of it before doing to the next job or even going over this one when the new paint comes in. I was on a budget and thought the paint gun would be the least of my worries. Lesson learned.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@PCMofNC View Post
For touch ups, put on a pair of rubber gloves and wet your fingertip with paint thinner. You can soften the plastidip up and spread it around the 'chipped' area. If it looks bad once its smoothed out, just spray a coat or two in that area and it should look like nothing happened

Same trick works if it peels at the edge of a window, door handle, etc... Just wet the peeling portion with thinner and you can get it tacky enough to stick back down. Its wild stuff!
What this man said
I figured the Xylene+Rag thing out on accident. My friend who was "helping" left the rag in the middle of the hood while we went out to get the other spray gun and......well you can imagine how pissed I was when we got back. Needless to say I sprayed a crap load (yes crap load) over that area but will be peeling the hood and doing it again in a couple of weeks. The thinner on a rag helped a ton around the windows and places I had taped off. Also helped give the car a very smooth finish.