Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #29
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
Some of the less expensive GPS systems cannot be updated, so it depends...In some places there USED to be lots of new construction and streets, so things can change, a lot depends on where you live
The Garmin Nuvi 350 (available on Walmart.com) isn't expensive, was rated near the top in Consumer reports (they actually said it performed nearly as well as the #1 model, it just lacked a couple options such as bluetooth, nothing important to Navigating) and can be updated easily with a USB cord (comes with it).

I actually got notification there is an update for mine in the last month or so.

Regarding portable units being 'ugly'... <sarcasm> You do realize you can remove it from the vehicle right? You don't have to leave it attached to the windshield (or dash) all the time. </sarcasm>

How often do you need to use the Nav? It's not like most people are driving to strange places on a daily basis. I might use my Nav once a month. IF THAT.

I don't see the 'ugly' excuse as being very valid. Just take it out when not in use!
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 AM   #30
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Exactly. When the hell would I use nav????? I go to the same places everyday, drive the same roads....and when I'm going somewhere and need directions??? I go to mapquest before leaving!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #31
Camaro0911

Drives: 2002 Chevy Impala
Post Is There Gonna Be A Navigation System?

I was wondering if the Camaro's are coming out with a navigation system, or is it just going to be the Onstar Caller to give you directions?
Camaro0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 AM   #32
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
No Nav. however the turn by turn directions are really really good......
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #33
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Yea, it's OnStar, but they don't stay on the phone with you giving you directions, they download them into your car and you here an automated voice giving them to you.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
....and when I'm going somewhere and need directions??? I go to mapquest before leaving!!!
THANK YOU!!!

For the very few times I go anywhere out of the ordinary, I can print out or buy a map. And if that don't work; I can deal with Onstar turn-by-turn...
Nav systems are one "advancement" that I just don't see the point of unless you travel 100s or miles a day, every day.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #35
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
THANK YOU!!!

For the very few times I go anywhere out of the ordinary, I can print out or buy a map. And if that don't work; I can deal with Onstar turn-by-turn...
Nav systems are one "advancement" that I just don't see the point of unless you travel 100s or miles a day, every day.
Once the initial included period of Onstar expires (1 year, I think), I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $28.90/mo ($299/yr) just to use the Onstar turn-by-turn functionality. It's not included in the base (Safe & Sound) Onstar package that is $18.95/mo ($199/yr).

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/index.jsp

Then again, I haven't found a need for a nav system yet. I'm a guy...I never get lost!
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Once the initial included period of Onstar expires (1 year, I think), I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $28.90/mo ($299/yr) just to use the Onstar turn-by-turn functionality. It's not included in the base (Safe & Sound) Onstar package that is $18.95/mo ($199/yr).

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/index.jsp

Then again, I haven't found a need for a nav system yet. I'm a guy...I never get lost!
No, that's true. 120 bucks a year isn't exactly "smart" for one or two uses. But I could opt for it just for the month that I'm going somewhere (if navigation is even an issue for me...)
Old 07-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #37
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th02ss View Post
No Nav. however the turn by turn directions are really really good......
I've heard several people saying that they prefer that over a full nav system.The new version with arrows is supposed to be quite handy
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #38
ralniv

Drives: far too much
Audio-only nav cannot compete with audio-visual nav. Try driving in an unfamiliar city environment with forks, turns, multiple on-ramps/exits and you'll soon experience the short comings of voice-only navigation. The visual element plays an important role in finding your way through unfamiliar territory.

I often use my touch screen nav to look around for restaurants or other POIs. Who the hell wants to talk with some yahoo on the phone when you are sniffing around for things to do or a place to eat. Sometimes you just want to search around without the hassle of a person on the other end.

On-Star makes for a nice enhancement to touch screen nav, but it falls short as a replacement. GM blew it on this one folks. There is plenty of room where the existing audio system resides to have implemented touch screen nav.
ralniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #39
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I agree with this, get a Garmin Nuvi and you'll be fine..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #40
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Tom tom.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #41
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I really don't want to spend th heavy bucks for a built in NAV system. I have a portable unit that I can use in anyone of the vehicles I own.

One unit, one software upgrade, no waiting!
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #42
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
Printouts from Google Maps and a Rand McNally atlas are all I need, and far cheaper to boot