Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Zach Jennings

Drives: 91 Z28
From auto to 5 speed in 91 Z28

I am posting this for my cousin who has no internet right now. He wants to take the automatic out of his 91 and put in a 5speed. He found an RS I think of the same year I am wondering if the 5speed in the RS is the same as the V8 5 speed and also if it is would the bell housing have to be changed? Any info would be great Thanks - Zach
Zach Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That's a lot of work. I'd recommend not doing this swap unless you intend to use a high-performance transmission and take this car to some serious performance events. In all honesty, that third generation Z28 is probably beautiful but not worthy of this sort of investment given the current value of the car. If your cousin doesn't have a ton of money to throw away on unexpected expenses, this is a terrible idea.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Zach Jennings

he has an 85 Iroc he put about $15000 into then totaled it, the Z28 has no motor he just picked it up and is putting a 305 with a mild stroker kit in it, he has alot of time and plenty of money the motor will eventually be fairly built (I know a 350 would have been a better performance build but he wanted something different) I will recommend a high performance trans to him. Thanks any more info would be great - Zach
Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
a t-56 would be eleventy billion times better than the t-5
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Jennings View Post
he has an 85 Iroc he put about $15000 into then totaled it, the Z28 has no motor he just picked it up and is putting a 305 with a mild stroker kit in it, he has alot of time and plenty of money the motor will eventually be fairly built (I know a 350 would have been a better performance build but he wanted something different) I will recommend a high performance trans to him. Thanks any more info would be great - Zach
Now that I have more information, I understand that this car is being built to be a racer. Since I have no money, I'll give you some crazy ideas to hand to him because I can't do this. I'll live vicariously through your cousin. Because my recommendations involve high-performance, please inform your cousin to keep enough in the savings account to stay in the black when something blows up.

The guys at B&M have a good reputation with transmissions. Check them out if your cousin is not using OEM parts.

If you're going for crazy performance, I like this engine.

Both of the above products assume that you're probably doing the work on your own car. A good major performance brand has more research behind their products than you will have by the time you complete your install, so I encourage you to strongly consider letting the professionals at SLP look at your Camaro. Go through the parts listed here. If your cousin can afford these packages, then you can bet it will last longer than a garage install.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Zach Jennings

i will forward this information to him so he can check it out at work andI will be back to see how he is going to proceed THANKS!