Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
?Perhaps they are asking if the vehicle is propelled with the electric motors under like, say, 50 MPH, instead of running on the gasoline/E85 engine?

I believe the current hybrids alternate electric power/fuel power depending on the load the PCM detects the driver wants. What I mean is, the car will have the electric motors as the default to move the car, and the fuel engine as a supplement when additonal electricty is needed. That's what I noticed in a Prius that I test drove some time ago. The display indicated the electrical enery was constantly propelling the vehicle and only supplemented by the fuel engine when the electrical supply was deminished.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #16
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
What do you mean?
It's something like this (Post below) But I dont think it's 50 I think it's 35MPH and under, and yes the electricity takes over at that speed and runs the car to save gas ......... Im not sure on it though but I have heard of cars using this method. Also, I heard when you tap the brakes it recharges itself for the next go round so it's kind of like a motor/generator? I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
?Perhaps they are asking if the vehicle is propelled with the electric motors under like, say, 50 MPH, instead of running on the gasoline/E85 engine?

I believe the current hybrids alternate electric power/fuel power depending on the load the PCM detects the driver wants. What I mean is, the car will have the electric motors as the default to move the car, and the fuel engine as a supplement when additonal electricty is needed. That's what I noticed in a Prius that I test drove some time ago. The display indicated the electrical enery was constantly propelling the vehicle and only supplemented by the fuel engine when the electrical supply was deminished.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
didnt even have to read the post and NO HYBRID CAMARO!! its a muscle car not a prius!
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Oh, I see what you're talking about now.

Yes. And no.
There are different 'strengths' of Hybrid, per se. The Malibu, Aura, and (currently) the Vue are MILD hybrids. The Tahoe, Yukon, and Silverado are FULL hybrids.

The difference is actually very large between the two types.
As I said above, the mild-hybrid system uses a generator/motor (in the place of an alternator) coupled to a 30V NIMH battery. This system shuts down the car when you stop at a light, or your driveway, ect. And the battery runs your accessories. Then when you get going, the motor starts teh engine back up. It also uses regenerative braking to charge the battery via the motor/generator. On top of all that - the system can compliment the engine and actually ADD power during accel (which helps reduce gas consumption as well. The new Lithium system will allow for very low speed propulsion as well, now.

The Full system, also known as the Two-mode Hybrid, was developed together by BMW, Diamler, and GM. But it was GM's idea.

It uses twin electric motors actually IN the transmission to propel the vehicle on electric only power at speeds under 30mph. And it compliments the engine otherwise. Hence the "two mode". It's really difficult to explain, (I haven't read into it much.) I just know it's expensive, and it kicks Prius a$$! http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...Hybrid_M99.doc
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #19
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
According to this interview with Cheryl Pilcher, they are not planning on making a Hybrid Camaro.

http://www.camarohomepage.com/pilcher/index.htm

Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #20
GameOv3r

Drives: 2008 Chevy Aveo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianSam View Post
damn i NEED the parking lot idle V8 sound... how am i going to pick up girls with my hot car that sounds like my lego train
Well....I guess you could make it sound like a pissed off bumble bee (ex. Ricers....not the bumble bee camaro). lol
GameOv3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Oh, I see what you're talking about now.

Yes. And no.
There are different 'strengths' of Hybrid, per se. The Malibu, Aura, and (currently) the Vue are MILD hybrids. The Tahoe, Yukon, and Silverado are FULL hybrids.

The difference is actually very large between the two types.
As I said above, the mild-hybrid system uses a generator/motor (in the place of an alternator) coupled to a 30V NIMH battery. This system shuts down the car when you stop at a light, or your driveway, ect. And the battery runs your accessories. Then when you get going, the motor starts teh engine back up. It also uses regenerative braking to charge the battery via the motor/generator. On top of all that - the system can compliment the engine and actually ADD power during accel (which helps reduce gas consumption as well. The new Lithium system will allow for very low speed propulsion as well, now.

The Full system, also known as the Two-mode Hybrid, was developed together by BMW, Diamler, and GM. But it was GM's idea.

It uses twin electric motors actually IN the transmission to propel the vehicle on electric only power at speeds under 30mph. And it compliments the engine otherwise. Hence the "two mode". It's really difficult to explain, (I haven't read into it much.) I just know it's expensive, and it kicks Prius a$$! http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...Hybrid_M99.doc
On top of the two mode, there is the technology that is behind the Volt. As far as I know, there are no cars that operate like it. It is always driven electrically, but if the battery gets drained, the gas engine kicks in to recharge the battery. But there is no connection between the engine and the wheels, other than power cables running from the generator to the battery to the electric motors.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote