Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Red1Le

Drives: 2013 1Le
NNP with Headers Combo?

I know there is most likely a thread answering this but after reading through the endless threads on Google I could not find any to answer my questions.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the ARH headers for my 2013 1Le with the NNP exhaust. I want to keep the NNP and mate the headers up to it. So my question is should I go with the header system that does not come with the ARH Xpipe or should I purchase them with the Xpipe?

What are the gains if any and is there a big sound difference with the Xpipe? The few threads I read kind of went back and forth as to if it is worth the extra cash to get the Xpipe. I want the car to run and sound as good as it can once I am done.

I will be buying either these without xpipe
http://www.apex-speed.com/american-r...hout-cats.html

Or these with the Xpipe

Thanks
Chad

Red1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
if i may be bold and make a suggestion rather than answer your question..............

go with LT (with/without cats, your choice) and see what you think. they bolt right up and if you are not pleased, you can try the x-pipe.

to answer your question: only you can decide what is best to you as far as sound. best to do in steps, that way you know what part to change that you don't like.

i went with the resonated x-pipe, because i was wanted to remove the last bit of drone in my system. but again, that is what i felt was important.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Red1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
if i may be bold and make a suggestion rather than answer your question..............

go with LT (with/without cats, your choice) and see what you think. they bolt right up and if you are not pleased, you can try the x-pipe.

to answer your question: only you can decide what is best to you as far as sound. best to do in steps, that way you know what part to change that you don't like.

i went with the resonated x-pipe, because i was wanted to remove the last bit of drone in my system. but again, that is what i felt was important.
Thank you sir for the input of someone who has had personal venture with the parts! I was thinking of doing exactly what you just said. I will be going to dyno tuned and did not know if I would be leaving any large amounts of power on the table by not doing the xpipe. I have not been under this car yet as I just bought it last week. Is the factory Hpipe resonated or just a straight pipe going into the NNP?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1Le View Post
Thank you sir for the input of someone who has had personal venture with the parts! I was thinking of doing exactly what you just said. I will be going to dyno tuned and did not know if I would be leaving any large amounts of power on the table by not doing the xpipe. I have not been under this car yet as I just bought it last week. Is the factory Hpipe resonated or just a straight pipe going into the NNP?

Thanks!

There is no resonator on the LS3 and def not the NPP. I just added headers and considered the resonated x-pipe myself, but wanted to live with it for a while and see how I like it. So far I really love the way it sounds with the headers and high flows, and pretty sure you will too. h018871 has a great suggestion to start with headers and go from there. I am going to see how it sounds with the flaps closed on start up after a electrical modification(with help from an awesome C5 member), and see if a resonator will be a consideration or not. I really dont think you will see much if any gains by adding an x-pipe, from what I understand the factory h-pipe flows very well and little gains are to be had by switching to an x-pipe but your tuner should be the one you ask about that. Good luck with your build!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Red1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
There is no resonator on the LS3 and def not the NPP. I just added headers and considered the resonated x-pipe myself, but wanted to live with it for a while and see how I like it. So far I really love the way it sounds with the headers and high flows, and pretty sure you will too. h018871 has a great suggestion to start with headers and go from there. I am going to see how it sounds with the flaps closed on start up after a electrical modification(with help from an awesome C5 member), and see if a resonator will be a consideration or not. I really dont think you will see much if any gains by adding an x-pipe, from what I understand the factory h-pipe flows very well and little gains are to be had by switching to an x-pipe but your tuner should be the one you ask about that. Good luck with your build!

Great and I mean great input thank you! I will do just that then start with the headers without xpipe and see how she sounds and runs. If I feel I must have the Xpipe I will do so later on down the road!

Thanks
Chad

Old 03-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Red1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post

BTW What numbers did you put down?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
I am contemplating the same thing!! I have a set of SW LT no cats sitting in my spare bedroom for over a month!! I am doing my first track day with the car next month. I figured I would drive it stock before I add power. I have been reading about adding the X-Pipe I guess I will just install without and go from there. My wife is already annoyed that the car is going to be louder, however I told her when I got it my goal was to make it sound like a Stock Car
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
ST1LE

Quote:
BTW What numbers did you put down?

I havent gotten it tuned yet, so sadly I dont have any numbers. Also, sadly dont have a baseline dyno number, so nothing to compare either.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
As you are talking about exhaust, I assume you meant "NPP".
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
I know there is most likely a thread answering this but after reading through the endless threads on Google I could not find any to answer my questions.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the ARH headers for my 2013 1Le with the NNP exhaust. I want to keep the NNP and mate the headers up to it. So my question is should I go with the header system that does not come with the ARH Xpipe or should I purchase them with the Xpipe?

What are the gains if any and is there a big sound difference with the Xpipe? The few threads I read kind of went back and forth as to if it is worth the extra cash to get the Xpipe. I want the car to run and sound as good as it can once I am done.

I will be buying either these without xpipe

Or these with the Xpipe

Thanks
Chad

LOL, I have lived this exact decision path. The difference is my car is a convertible and I'm really concerned about getting this too loud. After talking to ARH and numerous tuners, including my own, the well respected Mike Norris, we have decided to go with the short connection system w/HF Cats into the stock mid (H) pipe and NPP mufflers. ARH claims 10hp for their X pipe but most tuners I've talked to discount that number. One VERY respected tuner who did some of the original testing for Gen 5 systems told me in no uncertain terms that there will be significantly less "drone" retaining the OE catback. That sealed the deal for me. Not to mention that the mid pipe extension was quoted as a $500 add and with a convertible, I learned that one must also buy their $475 brace to fit the 3" pipe. So....I'll be going in for headers only in about a month.

Oh, I just clicked on your choices and see you are going catless. Just be ready for a REALLY loud exhaust.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #11
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
For me, once the money was spent when I ordered our 1LE with the NPP I was keeping it. As it sets, current mods, the tune and possible future mods I wouldn't gain any HP by spending even more money replacing it.

As a side note, I'm pulling the JBA shorties & cat-less mids and installing a set of Pfadt LT's & HF cats. With this I'll at least re-coupe some of the cost by selling off the JBA parts, get a retune and pick up a few more HP. That's money worth spending in my book. Replacing an NPP with something else on a mildly modified car isn't worth it.
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
1bad1le

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I put TSP headers on, no cats and also kept the NPP as that was what I wanted after having my droning G8. It sounds great, is quiet when cruising and then all hell breaks loose when you're on the loud pedal! I will be making some gopro vids soon.

http://youtu.be/9wmNMNmwE_k
1bad1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #13
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by t&t moyer View Post
I'm pulling the JBA shorties & cat-less mids and installing a set of Pfadt LT's & HF cats.
Where you getting the Pfadts?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Where you getting the Pfadts?

I think he has had thema while and been waiting for better weather to install.