Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
Costguard auto plan

So I was looking through some of my stuff from when I bought my car the other week and saw the costguard vehicle protection plan tagged in the financing . Is this worth it to keep or should I cancel it. It covers mechanical stuff like ac etc which the regular 36000 mile warranty should cover . I have 60 days to cancel to get refund not sure if it is worth keeping . Has anyone ever had this plan ?
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
I took the platinum version of their plan. Mine covers wheels, tires, windshield, transmission, everything. It was cold here in Colorado in February and my windshield cracked from it, called up for windshield replacement (HUD version) and it didn't cost me a thing, not even a down payment, however, your mileage may vary.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
jcsuddre

This is the plan http://www.protectiveassetprotection...Info-Sheet.pdf
Old 07-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
did you ask for it? If not cancel it. Does it say how many miles or years it covers. you have a 3yr 36000mile bumper to bumper. and a 5year 100,000 Drive train warranty already from GM. this is the kind of plan you would buy if you bought a used car with no warranty. How much did they charge you? This plan starts now not after your GM warranty expires. So if its less than 3 years or 36000 miles its useless.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
it's up to you, but there are plenty of threads here from people bitching and crying about something that stopped working or broke on their car and they're just out of the factory warranty. they usually start them asking for help on where to get parts or how to do the repair themselves.

warranties are for peace of mind. for people who are tight on funds, knowing you won't have to pay for any repairs for a long time is worth the extra $10 or so it adds to your payment. for people whom a repair bill isn't a big deal, they forgo the expense of the warranty hoping nothing will happen, but knowing if something does it isn't a budget buster to pay for it themselves.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
if you plan to mod the car its worthless for big things and costing you money from day one and it costs interest also as in the price of the car.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Nothing wrong with extra coverage.
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
RJT RS

Drives: 11 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsuddre View Post
Actually that didn't show the terms. How long is the warranty extension? I also bet if you opt out in < 60 days it will be a no charge. My thought process is simple, if I need the extended warranty, I KNOW I bought the wrong vehicle.
RJT RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
3rd party warranties can be a bear to deal with if it involves something expensive.

Not worth keeping in my opinion, especially if you paid a couple grand for it.

These 3rd party warranties make dealers huge amounts of cash, that's why they push them. For the most part, you will likely never have enough repairs before it runs out that you will even justify the cost.

If you think about it, you have a bumper to bumper for 3/36, if there's a defect in something it's likely to crap out before then. Even then, unless it's a major drivetrain item (which is covered for 5/100) then you'd have to have a lot of things break to justify that $2k warranty.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #10
jcsuddre

I'm gonna cancel it this week it cost 3k when I looked at the sale paper of my car . I'm the type of person that if you have car for about 5 or 6 years and when a funny light comes on and keeps coming back on trip after trip to mechanic ..... Vroom to the dealership and trade it in lol