Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
mondain

Drives: toyota
Options not available on pre-orders

I havent found a thread that answers my exact questions:

1) which are the known options that are not available on pre-orders?

so far I have heard "heads-up display" and "accent lighting", however, in the RS package isnt the accent lighting just white LED's shining on colored plastic trims? If so, and the colored trim is available, why isnt interior accent lighting then available?

2) can these options be installed after purchase?

both interior lighting and HUD sound like options that require either cut-outs in the interior or specific parts pre-installed. not necessarily something that can just be bolted on. Also, nothing HUD is even mentioned (or else I just missed it, which is possible) in the leaked docs?

3) do we know if the driver DIC will display info such as 1/4 mile, skid, etc (a la Challenger)?
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
HUD is the only option not available.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
I havent found a thread that answers my exact questions:

1) which are the known options that are not available on pre-orders?

so far I have heard "heads-up display" and "accent lighting", however, in the RS package isnt the accent lighting just white LED's shining on colored plastic trims? If so, and the colored trim is available, why isnt interior accent lighting then available?

2) can these options be installed after purchase?

both interior lighting and HUD sound like options that require either cut-outs in the interior or specific parts pre-installed. not necessarily something that can just be bolted on. Also, nothing HUD is even mentioned (or else I just missed it, which is possible) in the leaked docs?

3) do we know if the driver DIC will display info such as 1/4 mile, skid, etc (a la Challenger)?
1. It is not known for sure at this point if the ABL ("accent lighting") will be available at the start of production or not. It is felt that it will be, but has not been fully confirmed. The problem isn't fully known, but it is thought that it is due to the lighting itself (described as "light pipes" somewhere I believe). HUD is not available at the start of production. Unknown if the ABL can be installed aftermarket at this point, but I think most believe so. HUD requires some special coating on the windshield, but there are some aftermarket options. No confirmation if it could be installed after.

2. Answered in-line above.

3. No. If you search the threads, either Number 3 or HeatherR described the functions and I don't recall 1/4 and skid being in there.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
HUD is not available for any cars yet. This is a potential option for a future model year.

Ambient lighting is rumored to have problems, but GM declines to comment on any rumors that are as baseless as these. This is not part of the RS package. It comes with the leather package.

The Z28 is not being made at this time. I just wanted to point that out to dodge any rumors on this topic being revived.

Your dealer is an idiot. I just wanted to make that clear for future reference.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Ambient lighting is rumored to have problems, but GM declines to comment on any rumors that are as baseless as these.
The "rumors" are FAR from baseless. I just spoke with a GM rep yesterday who said that he had seen ABL previously and it was "not right" and that GM would not include it in the cars if they couldn't get it right. Scott has said numerous times and it was said in the last IDL that they are working on it still.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
And in regards to ADDING HUD - all the camaro's I'VE SEEN do NOT have a HUD blank location on the dash. If it had a blank like the 1LT Vettes, it might be able to get done.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
GM still has 28 days. I think they will get it all worked out.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
The "rumors" are FAR from baseless. I just spoke with a GM rep yesterday who said that he had seen ABL previously and it was "not right" and that GM would not include it in the cars if they couldn't get it right. Scott has said numerous times and it was said in the last IDL that they are working on it still.
Stating that they aren't right doesn't specify the problem. That's what I was trying to convey. If an engineer came forward stating that the wiring has interference issues or an insider said that someone failed to place an order with the supplier, then we'd have a legitimate leak. What we have here is someone saying a vague statement about a problem and coming to the conclusion that the problem is catastrophic. It may not be baseless by definition, but it isn't a reasonable concern.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
mondain

Thanks for the info. IF there is a problem, I hope it gets resolved.

Since searching for "dic" yields nothing (3 characters is not enough for a search term) I'm having a hard time locating exactly all the things the DIC reports on (outside of the usual jazz like weather and direction; 1/4 mile, skid, etc)
Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Stating that they aren't right doesn't specify the problem. That's what I was trying to convey. If an engineer came forward stating that the wiring has interference issues or an insider said that someone failed to place an order with the supplier, then we'd have a legitimate leak. What we have here is someone saying a vague statement about a problem and coming to the conclusion that the problem is catastrophic. It may not be baseless by definition, but it isn't a reasonable concern.
I bet that engineer's dealer is an idiot.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
mondain

It's probably something minor, like the color temperature of the LEDs used in the lighting looking too harsh or requiring different temps based on which color accent panels are used. In a modern car I don't think there are many problems of 'we got too much interference on wiring a light inside a door rocker.'
Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
Thanks for the info. IF there is a problem, I hope it gets resolved.

Since searching for "dic" yields nothing (3 characters is not enough for a search term) I'm having a hard time locating exactly all the things the DIC reports on (outside of the usual jazz like weather and direction; 1/4 mile, skid, etc)
Try here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10822 around say thread 780 or so http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=780.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
It's been stated a few times (and was told to me yesterday) that they have had problems getting the lighting to be uniform across all the areas. Some areas of it were dimmer than others and it had a blotchy look to it. At least that was the problem when this person saw it so I don't know if they've got other problems now.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
mondain

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
Awesome, thanks!