Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 07-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
69 Z28 recall, no kidding

Sounds crazy, but it happened around 1972. The dealership in Pascagoula, Ms. installed some tie downs around the exhaust manifolds, because the cars were breaking motor mounts. It had a cable on one side and a mounting bracket was added to the other side. The car is currently being restored and I'll post some pictures in the near future!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Sounds crazy, but it happened around 1972. The dealership in Pascagoula, Ms. installed some tie downs around the exhaust manifolds, because the cars were breaking motor mounts. It had a cable on one side and a mounting bracket was added to the other side. The car is currently being restored and I'll post some pictures in the near future!
I can vouch for the breaking of original GM motor mounts on the '69 Z/28. The rubber would wear out so much that the first thing you would notice is the shifter linkage binding with the resulting blown shifts. I replaced a few sets of them before I went to the local speed shop and purchased a pair of solid motor mounts around 1973/74... which I am running to this day.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Recall was dated Dec 10th , 1971. Lots more than just Z/28s. It was poor design, if the rubber isolator separated from either half of the mount there were no mechanical stops to prevent excessive motor movement. Mounts were redesigned twice for this reason. Quick fix was to install limit cables so the motor couldn't lift too far off the (failed) mount and pull the throttle linkage.
My car still has them on it.

Original on left, then 2nd, and third design on right.

EDIT: The kit pictured is the small block kit, the kit for the big block had a slightly different bracket that mounts on drivers side exh. manifold.
Attached Images

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 07-09-2014 at 10:57 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Problem was if you hit the throttle hard the motor could lift and pull the throttle linkage to full, and then the linkage could possibly hang up on things keeping it stuck at full throttle.

Recall:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GM 1971 Engine Mount 573 Clean.pdf (956.9 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 07-09-2014 at 10:55 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
is there a TSB book on 1st gen Camaros? I have one for the GS cars, it's a fascinating read and it shows what to expect on the cars even today, for example, is a puff of smoke out the exhaust normal each morning on a GS455? Yes actually it is!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Funny story - When I got my 69 Camaro back in 1979 I had to tow it home. Once I tore it down and got it running I found this odd little chain wrapped around the drivers side upper control arm shaft and the drivers side exhaust manifold. I could not imagine what it could be for and promptly took it off and tossed it in the trash. I went for a drive and punched it - WHEEEE!!!! the engine lifted up off the broken rubber mount and the throttle was locked to the floor. The car blasted away down the street at wide open throttle. I shut the key off and learned quickly what that silly chain was for. :~D

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Funny story - When I got my 69 Camaro back in 1979 I had to tow it home. Once I tore it down and got it running I found this odd little chain wrapped around the drivers side upper control arm shaft and the drivers side exhaust manifold. I could not imagine what it could be for and promptly took it off and tossed it in the trash. I went for a drive and punched it - WHEEEE!!!! the engine lifted up off the broken rubber mount and the throttle was locked to the floor. The car blasted away down the street at wide open throttle. I shut the key off and learned quickly what that silly chain was for. :~D

-Mark.
Awesome story man! Bet you needed a new pair of underwear after that one! My dad bought his first '69Z in '73. Ill have to see if he knows about this. The Z he has now doesnt have this.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post

-Mark.
Needed a new fan shroud too, I'll bet
Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Needed a new fan shroud too, I'll bet
The car already was missing the fan shroud. It was probably destroyed right before the chain was added. -LOL!

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote