Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Tire rack from TireRack

I just put up a tire rack that I bought from Tire Rack in my garage.

The install was fairly straightforward. Or at least it would have been if my walls had studs every 16" like a normal house. The top bar that supports all of the weight has hole drilled every 16", so that's kinda required. I found enough to work in my garage, but I would have liked to have mounted it one stud further away from the cabinets. I couldn't though, because that stud is more than 16". <sigh>

Once this is put together, it's sturdy as hell. I did a dip in it before I put the tires up there. It's supposed to support up to 400 pounds, and I believe it. It can also be expanded to fit wider tires, or more tires, but I didn't need it any wider.

The packaging was very nice on this. Everything is a black, crinkle finish. All of the parts came wrapped in thin felt to keep them from getting scratched in shipping. The instructions are pretty easy to follow. It took me about an hour and a half (including unpacking and cleanup of tools) by myself.

There's a couple of tricky bits to the install. The top bar is two sections. I mounted one level before I messed with the second. That whole process would have gone much quicker and easier if I had help.

Don't overtighten the bolts.

Check the height you are mounting it at before you drill. I didn't think about it and got lucky that those pointy corners are about 2" above my head at 6' 4". If I try to stand under it, I hit my head on the tires. I could probably move one of the bottom bars to have them sit higher, but it's not a big deal. Just make sure you will have clearance when you mount it.

Putting the crossbars in was the toughest part. The side panels slide in a groove in the top bar and have a pad to rest on the wall on the bottom. Therefore, they move all over when those bars aren't in. Attaching the first side is easy. The second side is more tricky without cross threading the bolts. Use a level and a square (and help) and it will go much easier.

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase. Tire Rack had it cheaper than anywhere else I found. It's high quality. It beats the hell out of a stack of tires in the corner.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I have 2 of these in my garage. One for racing wheels/tires and the other to swap out all season and performance sets.

I did learn something from the first install. Make sure the pads at the bottom is resting on a stud or run a 1x4 along the wall between the 2 pads. The weight WILL punch a hole through the drywall.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
Yippee38

I've got thick, real wood paneling in my garage, so that's not an issue. I can see how it would be on drywall though.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Those bottom corners look like real head-bangers. Might wunna add some padding if it's at head level. Cool rack though!
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Tire rack from TireRack

I've got 2 of them. One for winter tires and one for drag tires. I love them. Yes, you do have to watch your head, but I've never hit it or had anyone run into them.

I actually had a buddy ask me where I got them! I said, they have tirerack.com written on them, so I'll let you guess! I had to give him a hard time for that one!

Nice write-up OP!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
yup- I have one in my garage. I had to re-drill one of the holes in order to center on a stud.

DO get some padding for the corners... they are a beeyotch to run into.

I also replaced the lower circular pads, since they sunk into my drywall... just put some wood up on the wall behind it.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
RJTV6A

Drives: 69 Camaro I6 no prob,11 V6 big prob
Thanks for the reviews. I've been wondering if this was a cheapo unit or if it is worth buying. Looks like everyone is happy with them.
RJTV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Yippee38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTV6A View Post
Thanks for the reviews. I've been wondering if this was a cheapo unit or if it is worth buying. Looks like everyone is happy with them.
Yeah. Nice and very sturdy.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Looks nice. I'm not following the "punch through the drywall comments." What do you guys mean? The top track is bolted to studs, and the bottom pads would also need to rest on the same studs right?
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Thanks for the review
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Looks nice. I'm not following the "punch through the drywall comments." What do you guys mean? The top track is bolted to studs, and the bottom pads would also need to rest on the same studs right?

the side brackets can slide on the top track... so those round pads at the bottom of the side brkts lay wherever relative to the studs. Like I said, I removed the pads and put a board on the wall, so the side brackets can sit on the hard board.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
If your garage or basement has drywall over top the studs like inside your home, the round pads will leave a big indent in the drywall and depending on the weight of the wheels you have on the rack can almost go all the way through the drywall even with a stud directly behind them. The drywall just compresses and crumbles to dust.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
It might be a good idea to put a 2x4 on the wall across the span of top and bottom mounts then attach the rack to that. That way you can affix the 2x4 into the studs.
I see you used some cardboard next to the tire - Nice idea!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Get some of those stick on foam 'baby bumpers' in black for those corners.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote