Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
Dan's Fun Car

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
Just thought I'd share

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd share some pics of the project I did this weekend.

Little backstory:

I got the car about a month ago and it was completely stock. Lease car and it was in good condition.

The driver had curbed the car a couple of times and I didn't like the curb rash on the rims. So I sanded down all the curb rash as smooth as possible.

I've seen Plastidip and Dip your car stuff and weighed that versus powdercoating the rims black to match the car.

Well, I went ahead and did the Dupli Color Custom Wrap Black Metallic spray on (basically Plastidip).

Here are just a few pictures to show some before and after.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

Dan's Fun Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Black wheels on a black car. Now that's something I haven't seen too much! Looks like you did a great job... but I would opt for neon lime green!
Old 10-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Dan's Fun Car

I did look at doing some other color, like a gunmetal grey or something of that nature, but for approximately $60.00 to redo all 4 rims, I can't complain, and I can always change the color anytime I want.

I'm not a lime green kind of guy, even my bike is two tone black (gloss sides with matte black on the top).
Old 10-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's Fun Car View Post
I did look at doing some other color, like a gunmetal grey or something of that nature, but for approximately $60.00 to redo all 4 rims, I can't complain, and I can always change the color anytime I want.

I'm not a lime green kind of guy, even my bike is two tone black (gloss sides with matte black on the top).
I had another set of wheels powder-coated black (about $300 for the set). When I went to pick them up I saw a set of that bright neon green wheels on a white car and it actually looked really good! Also some bright neon type yellow ones that also looked pretty cool. Not sure how long before it would get old however...
Old 10-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Dan's Fun Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I had another set of wheels powder-coated black (about $300 for the set). When I went to pick them up I saw a set of that bright neon green wheels on a white car and it actually looked really good! Also some bright neon type yellow ones that also looked pretty cool. Not sure how long before it would get old however...
I asked a local shop the cost to powdercoat the rims and he quoted me $800.00. For that price, I'd save up a little more and buy new rims.

Total time was about 4 hours with sanding all the curb rash and everything.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's Fun Car View Post
I asked a local shop the cost to powdercoat the rims and he quoted me $800.00. For that price, I'd save up a little more and buy new rims.

Total time was about 4 hours with sanding all the curb rash and everything.
Yeah, you have to shop around. I found two shops, both around $300 included the sandblasting (to remove the old finish).

I saved a little by going with their "Black Friday" special that is a 60% gloss, but I actually think it was the best choice (you could do any percentage of gloss from none to 100%, but too much gloss shows too many issues).

JMHO

Name:  20160825_183415.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  327.2 KB
Old 10-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I really enjoy the way the wheels turned out! Keep us posted with how well they hold up, I'm considering doing this to mine as well!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
Motarded421

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I put plastidip on my wife's BMW. The first time I only put two coats on and it had some little chips from debris. When we got new tires installed the machine messed up the plastidip pretty good. No biggie though. I peeled it off the wheels and resprayed them. I put on 6 coats and over the last year and a half they look fine. No noticeable nicks in the finish or anything.

Shes wanting to go back to the stock look on the rims though so I'll be peeling off the plastidip this weekend. I will say, the thicker you put the stuff on, the easier it is to get it off.

I dipped the mirrors on my car a couple of weeks ago..
Attached Images

Motarded421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Yeah, you have to shop around. I found two shops, both around $300 i
JMHO

Attachment 830192
DAMMIT!! Stop teasin me wit those rims DUDE! Want soo bad but you don't ship.....sigh..
Old 11-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Dan's Fun Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motarded421 View Post
Shes wanting to go back to the stock look on the rims though so I'll be peeling off the plastidip this weekend. I will say, the thicker you put the stuff on, the easier it is to get it off.
Yeah, they say that 3 cans will cover 4 rims without any problem at all but I went ahead and did 1 can per rim so I have it on their extra thick.

The only slight negative is towards the end of the can, it can start to spit a little. It's not horrible but just something to watch out for.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
Dan's Fun Car

Quote:
I saved a little by going with their "Black Friday" special that is a 60% gloss, but I actually think it was the best choice (you could do any percentage of gloss from none to 100%, but too much gloss shows too many issues).
I agree, just a little shine but not too much. I would personally go maybe 40% just for that more matte look but even at 60%, those rims look very very nice.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:27 AM   #12
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I'm looking to do my wheels soon; went to my local O'reillys and picked up a couple cans of what you used. I really like the up close finish of them
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:55 AM   #13
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
my sons car needs this after he let one of his wheels drop face first on our sidewalk...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #14
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Yeah, you have to shop around. I found two shops, both around $300 included the sandblasting (to remove the old finish).

JMHO

Attachment 830192
Just my opinion but those turned out way better then the plastidip wheels ive seen here. Op your rims look nice but for a permanent solution you should look at the powder coating...and shop around like Mr Stacey said.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote