Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
What brand of clay?

Tomorrow I'm going to the autozone to get the car cleaning products.

At the store they don't have that Magic Clay stuff. They have Turtle Ice Clay, Mothers Clay, and some Margeurs Clay. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm hopefully picking the car up Monday and will possibly getting some stripes painted on Thursday. So I don't think I should put wax or anything on the car yet. I will just wash and clay it. Does this sound like a good plan?
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
bluecamaroguy

Also these are the steps I will be doing. Let me know if I need to add something. I will do this in the evening when direct sunlight is gone.

1). Rinse off the car with slowly moving water.
2). Spray the clay solution on a 2'x2' section of the car at a time and move in straight strokes until whole car is done. (Do I clay the entire car or only the flat surfaces?)
3). Wash the car with car wash and a microfiber mitt.
4). Dry the car with a microfiber towel.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm not really sure what detailing spray does or how I use it. Let me know if it is necessary.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
steddy2112

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS
Wash
Clay
Wash
Polish
Wax/Seal
Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
My preferred OTC clay; Meguire's or Mother's.

Steps;

1. Wash with 'Dawn' to remove old wax. If this is a new car, use a good quality car wash.

2. While car is wet, clay, wetting a 6"X6" section at a time, and checking the clay periodically for debris.

3. Wash car

4. Polish
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
bluecamaroguy

Thanks guys but as I said I think I will be painting some stripes a few days later does that mean I should still do a polish and sealant?

Oh and Moose, this car will be new straight from the dealer, I even told them not to wash it through their machine. So that would mean I don't have to use the Dawn soap right?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecamaroguy View Post
Thanks guys but as I said I think I will be painting some stripes a few days later does that mean I should still do a polish and sealant?

Oh and Moose, this car will be new straight from the dealer, I even told them not to wash it through their machine. So that would mean I don't have to use the Dawn soap right?
I would use the Dawn soap anyways. Dawn won't just remove waxes and polishes. It will remove every contaminant, including the stuff you pick up in transit.

What it CAN'T take out is what we use clay for.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Moose

Quote:

If you can, I'd put the car in a garage, and wait to do anything once the stripes are painted. (Sorry. I overlooked your comment on getting stripes.)

Whomever is doing your stripes will prepare the surface, so any work you do now is not necessary.

After the stripes are painted Thursday, I'd ask for their recommendations on drying/curing time for the new paint. Personally, I'd wait at least a couple of weeks to clay/polish.

For the time being, I'd say its OK to wash the car. But I'd hold off doing any more detail work until once the stripes are cured.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
bluecamaroguy

So you think I should just wash it and thats it. No clay or anything?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
Moose

Quote:
So you think I should just wash it and thats it. No clay or anything?
Assuming the body shop is going to prepare the paint surface of the hood and trunk, (I'm assuming thats where you're getting stripes) at most, I'd wash and clay those areas, but no polish. Claying will remove the contaminants for you, but whatever polish you apply may be "ruined" in the paint preparation process.

If you want to start polishing after claying, I'd concentrate on the panels not receiving stripes.

Then, giving the painted stripes enought time to cure, I'd finish by polishing the entire car again.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
bluecamaroguy

Great, thanks man. Haven't really decided where I want the paint to go yet but I'll go ahead and wash and clay it tomorrow evening. No polish!

Last edited by bluecamaroguy; 07-19-2009 at 10:18 PM.