Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #15
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
welp, since you baited me in here from the title and by putting this in general Camaro and not in z28 section I'll go ahead and say the ZL1 was the pinnacle. I don't have the title or link at hand but a Camaro book on 5ths helps layout things changed for the 5ths models including aero enhancements.

The z28 had some things going for it for roadtrack but doesn't exceed the whole street strip package the ZL1 is.
Some things can be said for 6th gens also. I'm not into roadtrack but 1LE or ZL1 1LE are interesting performing cars.
The ZL1 is faster on the strip and if that's what you are going for that's great but it isn't all about straight line speed for me anymore. I lost interest in 1/4 mile action years ago. That's kid stuff. Grin...
Old 11-06-2022, 10:39 AM   #16
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
No disrespect at all the ZL1 but the Z28 a factory built race car. I don’t care what your book says, The Z28 is the baddest of the bad in the 5th Gen world. People who buy the Z28 generally don’t give a shit what the street/strip manners are. It’s made to carve corners, and does it better than a lot of vettes do.
All of the above!
Old 11-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #17
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
They're all 6 speed manuals as per 1st gen Z/28 rules, but finding one with A/C and a radio is the definition of luxury track car. Best of luck in your search!
10-4. And yeah, I had to have AC. Thankfully the majority of them came with it.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #18
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
That’s not what happened at Nurburgring…. They both have their place. Again I like both of them a lot but the Z28 again is a factory built race car. Thinner glass, less insulation, no excess options, LS7 blah blah blah. Z28 is king.
Here's a great read:

https://media.gm.com/content/media/u...Camaro-Z28.pdf
Old 11-06-2022, 11:06 AM   #19
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
The ZL1 is faster on the strip and if that's what you are going for that's great but it isn't all about straight line speed for me anymore. I lost interest in 1/4 mile action years ago. That's kid stuff. Grin...
and no spinning the tires too?I'll never outgrow that as long as I have a license.

Edit: note on nurburgring the ZL1 was tested on it's street oriented tires and the Z28 on it's track oriented tires which are notorious for being slippery at street temperatures. Put the same set of tires on them and results might be equal or change.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #20
Danial

Quote:
and no spinning the tires too?I'll never outgrow that as long as I have a license.
In the past, I was never a rich guy so tires were always hard to come by on my wages. I do pretty well these days but I still hate tearing up tires. However, I have been known to do a bit of drifting from time to time in my 13 SS. Does that count?

Last edited by Danial; 11-06-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #21
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:

Edit: note on nurburgring the ZL1 was tested on it's street oriented tires and the Z28 on it's track oriented tires which are notorious for being slippery at street temperatures. Put the same set of tires on them and results might be equal or change.
And if the Z28 run wasn’t done with half of it with a wet track, it might’ve been different.
Both are amazing beasts.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:14 PM   #22
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
And if the Z28 run wasn’t done with half of it with a wet track, it might’ve been different.
Both are amazing beasts.
Good point, as long as they are silver that's what matters most.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #23
DirtyDirt

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
[QUOTE=silversleeper;11250054]and no spinning the tires too?I'll never outgrow that as long as I have a license.

I always have and always will love a good smokey burnout.. Thankfully for me, when i had my first camaro (79 Camaro with a mild built 350) as a kid in high school, i worked at discount tire and we had an abundance of used tires. There were like 5 of us part-time kids that worked after school. All of us had cars that would burn the tires off. Put a new set of used ones on on friday before we closed, would be showing cords on monday after school... to be a young dumb kid again
15% tint
Matte Black Rally Stripe
2016 Camaro SS Black Chrome PVD Wheels
Pedal Commander

2013 ZL1 BOUGHT 10-29-23 With 1950 miles
K&N Full CAI
15% tint
Few cosmetic additions when it comes out of winter hibernation
DirtyDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #24
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
And a ZL1 will blow it's doors off no matter what a book says.
A bit of an exaggeration but I definitely respect the pride you have in your beautiful machine! Doing a bit of internet research shows the Z/28 quicker 0-60 by a blinding 0.1 sec! (4.0 vs 4.1) but we all know the S/C LSA will pull away from it up top. I'm a big fan of my Z/28 for what it DOESN'T have. No HUD, no power seats, no My Link and probably a few other items I'm unaware of. An old school approach in a modern vehicle that will probably never be done again. Kinda has a connection to the dog dish hubcap, radio delete cars of yesteryear.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2022, 04:45 PM   #25
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
A bit of an exaggeration but I definitely respect the pride you have in your beautiful machine! Doing a bit of internet research shows the Z/28 quicker 0-60 by a blinding 0.1 sec! (4.0 vs 4.1) but we all know the S/C LSA will pull away from it up top. I'm a big fan of my Z/28 for what it DOESN'T have. No HUD, no power seats, no My Link and probably a few other items I'm unaware of. An old school approach in a modern vehicle that will probably never be done again. Kinda has a connection to the dog dish hubcap, radio delete cars of yesteryear.
All great points. Where I had been looking at it from the point of view of the high tech design and engineering that went into the car, your post highlights the simplicity of that design. I like it.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #26
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
I might have added that yours isn't S/C'd as a bonus too. NOTHING wrong with a blower but there's something about a N/A, hand built 427 that rings in me old school loins.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:52 PM   #27
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I might have added that yours isn't S/C'd as a bonus too. NOTHING wrong with a blower but there's something about a N/A, hand built 427 that rings in me old school loins.
I prefer N/A as well. Mostly for the reasons you mentioned but also I think a lot of my reluctance comes from the fact that I was around when turbos and SCs were getting more popular in production vehicles and if people were able to get 100K miles out of one of those early cars, they were lucky. I know things are built much better today but that old paranoia still creeps in.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #28
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
The Z28 is special for what it is and it's exclusivity. My point was it isn't necessarily the pinnacle of 5th engineering.
As far as 0-60, "a guy told me" an old not-special AWD BMW 5 series walked him from a light due solely to the AWD despite being about 200crank hp lower. A person is best to enjoy what they have or get an AWD or AWD EV to do 0-60 or even 1/4 on unprepped surfaces.
If the OP gets the car I expect he will like it as you have yours. One reason being exclusivity as he has expressed with his Commemorative Edition.