Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
But what company was you an agent for? Just because that was how your agency was doesn't mean all are that way.
I prefer not to say the name for sure, however it was for one of the top 5 auto insurance companies in the country. All companies do have different criteria and their own proprietary underwriting systems. However there are constants that occur between all companies, and these things are an example. Some companies may weigh these criteria more or less than others but otherwise they are the same (like how many miles a year you drive may have a 10% effect on your rate with 1 company and 15% with another). Later in my career there I was an analyst so I was paid to reserch stuff like that.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I prefer not to say the name for sure, however it was for one of the top 5 auto insurance companies in the country. All companies do have different criteria and their own proprietary underwriting systems. However there are constants that occur between all companies, and these things are an example. Some companies may weigh these criteria more or less than others but otherwise they are the same (like how many miles a year you drive may have a 10% effect on your rate with 1 company and 15% with another). Later in my career there I was an analyst so I was paid to reserch stuff like that.
So now you're contradicting what you said about earlier about what I said not being true. You can't claim absolutes without absolute knowledge which you just admitted you do not have.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #17
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
I am 32 and called State Farm for some idea on the cost of insurance. At the time, he said he didn't have a 2010 Camaro in his system, but he ran it as a 2009 Corvette. I run fairly high coverage with fairly low deductibles and the rate was going to be around $800 per year for coverage.
Yeah, about a month ago I called my agent to get an idea. Because the Camaro wasn't out yet, they did it to a Corvette. All I've got to say is be glad you guys don't live in California! I thought the numbers weren't too bad, but because of all the illegal aliens, drunks, drug addicts, criminals, corrupt politicians etc., it's easily double what you'll pay down in the South or in many other states. God bless you guys who are able to get good coverage so reasonably!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #18
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
There are way too many variables for anyone to give you an accurate cost. Bet thing is to call your insurance agent.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #19
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
So now you're contradicting what you said about earlier about what I said not being true. You can't claim absolutes without absolute knowledge which you just admitted you do not have.
No I do have absolute knowledge of this, you misread or misinterpreted my post. Insurance companies do not assume by car type that its a weekend only car, that determination is based on the question they pose to you of how you use the car. As well the Corvette is NOT considered by any insurance company to be a luxury car, it is a sports car, or some companies call it a high performance vehicle. As I said in that reply there are certain considerations made by insurance companies that are basically the same and both of those are them amongst others. But there are OTHER criteria that some companies do use and others do not, companies review their data differently and obviously have different customer bases so different experiences. As well some weigh certain things heavier or lighter than others. Example: some companies may give a 5% discount for being accident free, others 10%. This is what causes rates to be different between companies.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
So I just confirmed with my State Farm agent. They have only two classifications of personal use for vehicles: daily driver or pleasure. It is based on mileage used per year. In general, it is based on the size of the engine so I think the Vette is the right comparison. However, he ran the most expensive 2009 GT-500 and it came out to around $900 per year. I hope this helps.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #21
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I'm 33, clean record, married. I asked my agent to quote me on a 2009 Corvette Coupe. It came out to $69 a month. Not bad. I'm with State Farm.
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #22
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
This is one of the few reasons I'm glad I'm a claims adjuster for AAA Insurance... automatic 15% employee discount + multi car + good driver + multi-policy discounts!

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #23
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
This is one of the few reasons I'm glad I'm a claims adjuster for AAA Insurance... automatic 15% employee discount + multi car + good driver + multi-policy discounts!
I've been trying to get a job with an insurance company for the sales work. I didn't even think about the possibility of saving money on my own insurance. Hopefully, someone in one of the major insurance companies picks me up.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #24
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
Yeah, about a month ago I called my agent to get an idea. Because the Camaro wasn't out yet, they did it to a Corvette. All I've got to say is be glad you guys don't live in California! I thought the numbers weren't too bad, but because of all the illegal aliens, drunks, drug addicts, criminals, corrupt politicians etc., it's easily double what you'll pay down in the South or in many other states. God bless you guys who are able to get good coverage so reasonably!!!

Be glad you're not in Michigan. I'm retired and have an 07 CTS as a THIRD car, and with all the discounts for multi vehicle, having my home and boat insured with them, no accidents tickets (ever) etc. they're still whacking me almost $1300 a year (with high deductibles). They claim its because of the mandatory coverage in this state for all of the uninsured motorists and high amounts of coverage for motorcyclists etc. So why do us car owners have to pay instead of the motorcyclists? When I had my $25,000 BMW bike a few years ago my insurance was only $380 a year. This ain't right, and thats why I'm going to buy my Camaro with cash...so I can cancel the insurance in the winter when its stored it the garage. Fire and theft is much cheaper for 5 months and it adds up quick after 4 seasons since you're not going make anything on your money in the stock market or CD's anyway.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #25
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Progressive can now give you a quote with the Camaro SS. Just checked it and with my age and background through them would be about $150 a month. I have State Farm for Homeowners, and both mine and wifes cars so would be cheaper than that through them. Not to bad that is about what i thought it would cost at the most.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #26
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
There is also a pmi insurance I believe if you don't have at least 20% down on the car. This is one place a dealer will make some money.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #27
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a6pk2go View Post
There is also a pmi insurance I believe if you don't have at least 20% down on the car. This is one place a dealer will make some money.
I thought PMI was for mortgages, not simple installment auto loans?

You can buy GAP insurance to cover the difference between the outstanding loan amount and the vehicle's actual value, should you total it before you owe less than it's worth. Usually a one time fee of $250-$500, depending on where/when you buy it.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #28
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by a6pk2go View Post
See rolnslo's post, PMI is Personal Mortgage Insurance if you have under 20% down on your mortgaged house.

You are likely thinking about what he mentioned, GAP insurance, which if they don't rip you off for it is very important to have. Some dealers will try and nail you for a few hundred bucks, it should be under $100 for this coverage (price is IIRC, I haven't dealt with new cars for a while). Your car insurance company doesn't sell it, only the dealer.

Then God forbid a week after you drive off the lot you toss it off into a tree, you won't lose the $3000+ in depreciation your car has from just driving it off the lot.