Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
ss eleanor
SS Eleanor

Drives: 2010 RS/2SS Camaro
So does anyone know how much the plates are, does it matter what color you get?
ss eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss eleanor View Post
So does anyone know how much the plates are, does it matter what color you get?

hasn't passed yet, but expect it to be similar to the personal plate fee. $40/ year.

personal and the colored = $80/yr OVER regular fees.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
ss eleanor
SS Eleanor

Oh wow, I have personal plates already. But I was thinking to paint mine black& yellow so will see I guess
Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Oh wow, I have personal plates already. But I was thinking to paint mine black& yellow so will see I guess

not legal, that is a penal code (not vehicle code) violation for defacing/damaging state property and it is a HEAVY fine.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
not legal, that is a penal code (not vehicle code) violation for defacing/damaging state property and it is a HEAVY fine.
What he said. don't paint your plates it is very bad juju
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
ss eleanor
SS Eleanor

Thanks, I kno we seen people do it and that's what I said but no one ever said that its a big no no. Thanks for the info
Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Thanks, I kno we seen people do it and that's what I said but no one ever said that its a big no no. Thanks for the info

something in the neighborhood of $3,000 fine and a criminal charge if the LEO feels like being a jerk about it.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #22
Camaro Fred
2012 ZL1 VIN 150

Drives: 1973 RS LT Camaro 4 Speed
Quote:
you have always been able to use YOM (year of manufacture) plates in CA, if you can find a black/yellow (ebay or some other source) that is currently NOT in use and you have a vehicle in the same YOM, then all you have to do is take the plate to the DMV and have them register it to your vehilce, my HR manager has a 1962 Eldorado her and her husband bought and restored 2 years ago and that's how they did it..

CA-Vehilce Code:

5004.1. (a) (1) ( )1 An owner of a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year vehicle or the owner of a commercial vehicle or a pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model-year may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle are complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the model-year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license plates otherwise required by this code.(2) The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured.
(b) A fee of forty-five dollars ($45) shall be charged for the application for the use of the special plates.

(c) In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10). ( )2 If payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this code, the holder of license plates with a date corresponding to the model-year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of twenty dollars($20)( )3 that shall be due at the expiration of the registration year of the vehicle to which the plates were last assigned under this section.

(d) ( )4 If a person who is authorized to utilize the special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12) shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees.

-----

personally I would go this route for your car, as this new program is issuing plates with the current numbering sequence, which won't properly match your car..

* edit * also this guy will make you a black/yellow replacement if you find some on ebay that are kinda trashed, http://www.cr8-one.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=212

however you must already have them registered on the vehicle and show proof, all he is doing is making you a new plate in the style/design of the old plate that is trashed, he cannot make you a plate that you don't already own that is not in the proper numbering sequence (in other words he cannot make your 2012 plate a 1965 look a like)
So if I get a black and yellow plate made by "this guy" using the custom plate numbers assigned to my registered 2012 ZL1, will cops be able to tell I am not paying the additional $50/yr for the black and yellow plates? I want to get my custom plates made in black and yellow and avoid paying the additional annual costs for retro colored plates. What do you all think? Technically I would not be defacing any plates - ie no $3K fine.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #23
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
Me like alot, not sure how it will look on my car but some others will look pretty clean....
Blaque Diamond Wheels BD23's 20x10, Hankook V12 275, AAC footwell lighting, Switchback LED's, AAC Mailslot scanner, AAC underhood, grill & underbody led lighting, AAC Plasma fogs, Eagle eye HIDs, RJT Painted calipers, RJT painted engine bay, Viteese Paddle Shifters, CFD Hurst style Shifter, RJT painted speedo & gauge trim, RotoFab CAI, TSP 2" Headers with full 3" XS Power exhaust, Granatelli Slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads, ACS Side Rockers, ACS Front splitter, ZL1 Grill, Havoc Rear diffuser, BMR 1.4 Springs, BMR Strut tower brace, BMR F/R Sway Bars, BMR Trailing Arms,
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #24
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Fred View Post
So if I get a black and yellow plate made by "this guy" using the custom plate numbers assigned to my registered 2012 ZL1, will cops be able to tell I am not paying the additional $50/yr for the black and yellow plates? I want to get my custom plates made in black and yellow and avoid paying the additional annual costs for retro colored plates. What do you all think? Technically I would not be defacing any plates - ie no $3K fine.

It'll be like $40 a year. Just pay the fee. I know this state sucks but show them some love for finally doing something we've all been wanting for a long time. Plus, if you get caught somehow, it will cost you more than the lifetime of renewing your plate anyways.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Fred View Post
not something I can answer, but as of now he will not make anything except the pre 1960s numbering sequence plates, so he won't make your current 2012 plates in black and yellow.

as I stated, you must own a pre 1969 plate that is legally registered to a pre-1969 car and then he will make you a replacement for a damaged or worn out pre-1969 plate that you legally own, he will not make random plates or custom plates, he is authorized by CA to make replacement plates for verified registered vehicles only.

Seeing as this Assembly Bill has not yet passed, or even been voted on, everything up to that point is pure speculation..

I emailed Assemblyman Mike Gatto as he is my area's rep and asked some specific questions on the bill and for him to send me a copy of the actual bill being submitted (seeing as most sites only have parts of it posted).

When I get a reply I will post it up for everyone.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #26
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Quote:

Seeing as this Assembly Bill has not yet passed, or even been voted on, everything up to that point is pure speculation..

I emailed Assemblyman Mike Gatto as he is my area's rep and asked some specific questions on the bill and for him to send me a copy of the actual bill being submitted (seeing as most sites only have parts of it posted).

When I get a reply I will post it up for everyone.
What? I think you're mistaken. Why would Gov. Brown sign something that hasn't been passed or voted on? That's not how this works. See here:

http://totalcapitol.com/?bill_id=201120120AB1658
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
What? I think you're mistaken. Why would Gov. Brown sign something that hasn't been passed or voted on? That's not how this works. See here:

http://totalcapitol.com/?bill_id=201120120AB1658

oh cool didn't know, on Mike Gatto's site he only shows it was presented, not that it was signed and approved..
Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Quote:
oh cool didn't know, on Mike Gatto's site he only shows it was presented, not that it was signed and approved..
Ha. Maybe he should update that lol.

The way I read it, it still needs 7500 orders after January 1st. No idea when production would begin. Guess it depends how fast people order.

Tags
ca license plate