Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
mikevrod
Twisted Brothers MC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 LT/RS
V6 Turboing

I'm lobbying all v6 Camaro owners/future owners to contact Lingenfelter/STS/etc.... via e-mail to put together a bolt on single or twin turbo kit for our 304hp v6's. I've always had big v8's in my former Camaros and other vehicles,but how awesome would it be driving a 400hp+ v6. I've owned a couple of Saab 900 Turbos and what a fun car to drive. The STS rear system would perform and sound great. Your thoughts?

2010 Orange/Cyber Gray stripe LT2/RS

G
mikevrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Lingenfelter is working on packages for both versions as we speak. I am actually in constant contact with those guys. I want to make my Camaro a Lingenfelter Camaro
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevrod View Post
I'm lobbying all v6 Camaro owners/future owners to contact Lingenfelter/STS/etc.... via e-mail to put together a bolt on single or twin turbo kit for our 304hp v6's......The STS rear system would perform and sound great. Your thoughts?
I've called STS a couple times to see what they were up to. The minute they get a Camaro, they said they were gonna create a kit for the SS, and later for the V6, so long as demand is strong.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
Lingenfelter is working on packages for both versions as we speak. I am actually in constant contact with those guys. I want to make my Camaro a Lingenfelter Camaro
Frikin awesome. I hope you are right. But the only problem is that they tend to be pricey. However, they do warranty their work pretty well, so maybe the quality is worth it here.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Ferrarimk13

Drives: Hopefully a Camaro in a year
when you say pricey, how pricey would turbos go for? I was thinking if i ever get one, that a turbo would be a good upgrade to eventually get (if its out that is)
Ferrarimk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
09CobaltSS/Turbo

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo 97 tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13 View Post
when you say pricey, how pricey would turbos go for? I was thinking if i ever get one, that a turbo would be a good upgrade to eventually get (if its out that is)
Usually anywhere from 3500 - 4500 for some cars . Depends on size of turbo and how many extra parts they will need to make it work.

If anyone knows something about turbos, rear mounted turbos are junk. I made a thread about Forced induction already but seems the word "turbo" is more recognized.

Rear mounted turbos create twice the amount of time to build boost and you experience a lot of turbo LAG ... The bigger the displacement the less you will be able to notice it but if I end up with the v6 I will just make my own moutning system. I hate rear mounted turbos .. The closer the turbo sits to the exhaust manifold the quicker you build boost and less chances for boost leaks .. Imagine turning on a garden hose that is 100 ft vs 50 ft .. what hose will have water coming out first ? The answer is obvious .
Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS/Turbo View Post
If anyone knows something about turbos, rear mounted turbos are junk.
Why's that? In the respected rear-mount systems (like STS)...the idea of increased lag time is a falsehood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS/Turbo View Post
Imagine turning on a garden hose that is 100 ft vs 50 ft .. what hose will have water coming out first ? The answer is obvious .
Not if the 100ft hose is half the diameter of the 50ft hose...
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Why's that? In the respected rear-mount systems (like STS)...the idea of increased lag time is a falsehood.

Except that a conventionally mounted turbo could easily be within 1 foot of the head and a rear mount would be 10-12 feet away. And the exhaust is going to transfer heat to the pipes as it travels to the rear mounted turbo(s) leaving it with less energy to spin the turbo with when it gets there.

But my biggest issue with the STS system is in the pics I’ve seen it looks like the air filter is going to get soaked if you ever take it out on a wet day. That might not bother some people, but I live in Seattle and will drive mine in the rain.

The pics also show non-metallic pipes bringing the compressed air back to the engine. It sure seems like switching that that to stainless and adding a couple fins could cool the air a bit…
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
PS. There must be a reason why every factory turbo is snuggled up against the engine…
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
vladkgb

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
theres no way a turbo or super charger "bolt-on" kit will be made and still run on pump gas. its impossible because the v6 has 11:1 compression due to the direct injection, this engine wont be able to take much boost at all before detonation will be a big problem. If the v6 gets any type of forced induction expect atleast a head change to lower the compression ratio, which = big monies.
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
PS. There must be a reason why every factory turbo is snuggled up against the engine…
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkgb View Post
theres no way a turbo or super charger "bolt-on" kit will be made and still run on pump gas. its impossible because the v6 has 11:1 compression due to the direct injection, this engine wont be able to take much boost at all before detonation will be a big problem. If the v6 gets any type of forced induction expect atleast a head change to lower the compression ratio, which = big monies.
That's not necessarily true. The LLT does everything it does with regular 87 octane fuel. Detonation has a reduced chance of happening because of the nature of Direct Injection. It's not hard to imagine that mild boost will work fine with 92+, just like any other engine.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
09CobaltSS/Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkgb View Post
Todays engines are equipeed with advanced ECU's and this engine in particular has DI on it .. Not going to handle much boost is a vague statment .

With the advances in tuning and DI I Imagine the motor will handle 15 PSI with NO PROBLEMS ....

I am running 22.5 PSI spiking 25 PSI on 91 Octane on a 2.0 LNF with CAST pistons .. Yes it does have some KNOCK and tends to run LEAN in colder conditions but the ECU accounts for that KNOCK and automatically retards the timing to produce less knock I am at 5000 FT ..... 300 HP on a 2.0 w/ 22.5 PSI pump gas stock EVERYTHING stock turbo... If I could get a good look at the 3.6 pistons I would be able to tell you what kind of boost levels we will be able to run just by the design of the pistons .. Everything else in the motor is pretty much good to go as far as internals only thing you might consider is the fact the stock 3.6 DI pistons are Aluminum which can cause some heat problems under high boost ...

Last edited by 09CobaltSS/Turbo; 04-17-2009 at 02:38 PM.
09CobaltSS/Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
09CobaltSS/Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

LOL yeah you take Charge piping from a turbo and Decrease its diameter by half and see what happens LOL can you say Loss in PSI .. Why not just stick a cork in it . The idea isn't to restrict the Boost tubing or ( Charge piping ) that would just create tons of loss in boost ... Can you blow air through a garden hose easier or a straw ... Put it that way
A turbo works by using the excess gas not being burned by the engine which is injected into the turbo pumping hot exhaust through the cold side or ( intercooler ) back to the engine . Hence the name Forced induction ... A supercharger is basically just cork screw fans hooked to the pulleys of the engine forcing air into the intake which in turn you usually loose a lot of horsepower do to the fact your engine is turning another device on the pully system , its like turning on the A/C you loose power because of the motor has to work extra hard to turn the AC compressor ....

I like turbos my self because I am a Torque fiend .....
Old 04-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

I know how it all works....

I was just referring to the design that STS uses in response to your hose anaolgy. The volume of the piping of their system is roughly the same as a traditional system plus an intercooler. They achieve this by using skinnier pipes on the return side.

Yes, it's farther away from the engine, so there's a heat loss, but they sized the turbo(s) specifically to work from back there, and consequently, the time it takes to pressurize the intake piping is the same as any other turbo system.