Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Jspetree

Drives: 2011 ls camaro.
Cold Air Intake Question

I am looking at getting a CAI intake for my camaro. My Dad said the problem with col air intakes is that the oil can get on the MAF sensor and ruin it. What is the maintainence for the CAI intake? Do I have to oil it or anything? Also, how big of a chance is there for it to get water in it. Can you drive while it's raining hard?

2011 Camaro ls, American Racing Phantom 20" wheels, Oracle color shift halos, black rally stripes and gill stripes, painted front and rear bowties
Jspetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
The issue with oiling or recharging the filters is that people don't follow the directions and over oil them. If you over oil the filter there is a chance like your father said , that the oil can get on the MAF and mess it up. There will be tons of advice and suggestions on this board on which one to buy. Do your homework , google the reviews of the major brands . I chose Airaid because I installed one on my Frontier 6 years ago and never had any issues. So I installed their oiled version on my Camaro 10 months ago. Airaid also makes a non-oiled filer.

Good luck,

Bob

GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Don't worry. Many are tried & tested and highly recommended. Like you, I was skeptical and did my research as well... there are quite a number of good brands and in the end I went with the C.A.I. No regrets whatsoever.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Joe@CPR.com

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
as stated above the over oiling is the main issue and if you do follow the directions you will be fine. also no issues in the rain at all so drive away! we are a dealer for all the main brands so if you want a quote please let me know and we will give you a killer price! just let me know what type you like. volant, vararam, air-raid, roto-fab, cold air, etc.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
idealneil

Drives: 2011 SS/RS And 2011 LT
Just don't over oil it if you buy one that is oiled,If you over oil you may have to clean the MAF, don't really think any harm can be done. My wife drove hers thru a gas station touchless car wash and check engine light came on (only once).I Forgot the code but after she drove about 60 miles light went off. Dealer blamed the CAI and/or the MAF getting wet but I have never had any problems with mine and we both have driven thru heavy rain. I have about 15,000 miles on mine and she has about 10,000 on hers with no other issues. Hope that helps with you choice.
idealneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySS2011 View Post
The issue with oiling or recharging the filters is that people don't follow the directions and over oil them. If you over oil the filter there is a chance like your father said , that the oil can get on the MAF and mess it up.
BINGO. Keep in mind, unless you are driving down dirt roads you only need to re-oil the filter ever 20,000 miles or so. With most of the systems out there there is no additional risk of water ingestion as long as you don't go ford a creek.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
For the SS I recommend LMR cai my car put down 3-5 more Hp with the intake vs 3 other brands.... Late Model Racecraft in Houston Texas ..
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspetree View Post
I am looking at getting a CAI intake for my camaro. My Dad said the problem with col air intakes is that the oil can get on the MAF sensor and ruin it. What is the maintainence for the CAI intake? Do I have to oil it or anything? Also, how big of a chance is there for it to get water in it. Can you drive while it's raining hard?
I've had my K&N air filter for over 250,000 miles on my silverado and haven't had any problems! They have some filter cleaner you spray on, then lightly hose it off and let it dry! Then lightly spray it with oil and let that dry a little! I usually wait till I'm not going to be driving for a couple days so it can dry good! If some oil should get on the maf I doubt it would ruin it but it might throw a code! I've had the same aftermarket maf sensor also for 250,000! I've got one on the camaro too and haven't had any water issues! Lot of good c.a.I out there! Good luck!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I love my CAI inc. It looks great, sounds great & makes Ruby Goooooooooooo! I have not had to clean/oil my filter yet. If you are that worried about it get someone who knows what they are doing help you with it the first time. I thought about just getting a new filter when the time comes but folks I have talked to tell me I can do it with no problem Soooooooooooooo I guess I'll get brave & try it one of these days.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Rod

Drives: Camaro V-6
You could opt to go with Roto-Fab. They offer a dry filter. Quality product.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Fill your tires with too much air, you will have problems.

Fill your car with to much oil, you will have problems.

Over-oil your lifetime use oiled air filter, it is possible to get some oil on the MAF, nothing that can't be cleaned up and fixed. Our filter comes pre-oiled and ready to go, and has never caused an issue, If you do not want to mess with recharging it after 15-20k miles, you can just buy another oiled filter from us. Basically, use the appropriate recharge kit (if you have a CAI Inc. filter use a CAI Inc. recharge kit), just follow the instructions when you recharge it, use a little common sense, and you will have no issues.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Jspetree

Drives: 2011 ls camaro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Fill your tires with too much air, you will have problems.

Fill your car with to much oil, you will have problems.

Over-oil your lifetime use oiled air filter, it is possible to get some oil on the MAF, nothing that can't be cleaned up and fixed. Our filter comes pre-oiled and ready to go, and has never caused an issue, If you do not want to mess with recharging it after 15-20k miles, you can just buy another oiled filter from us. Basically, use the appropriate recharge kit (if you have a CAI Inc. filter use a CAI Inc. recharge kit), just follow the instructions when you recharge it, use a little common sense, and you will have no issues.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Thanks a lot! I appreciate all the responses, and i will probably be ordering one pretty soon!

2011 Camaro ls, American Racing Phantom 20" wheels, Oracle color shift halos, black rally stripes and gill stripes, painted front and rear bowties
Jspetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Sounds good, just so you know the 2012 V6 stuff is still really popular and in pretty high demand, we should have more in stock next week Wednesday. Its definitely one of our most popular items right now, and for good reason! Thanks!!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Sounds good, just so you know the 2012 V6 stuff is still really popular and in pretty high demand, we should have more in stock next week Wednesday. Its definitely one of our most popular items right now, and for good reason! Thanks!!
Don't worry, we have plenty.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote