Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #813
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
No chemicals in the plan, many years ago, my personal best was 385 raw in a competition. I feel strong, I think only injury will keep me from it, I don't seem to recover as quickly now. I'm all tri's can't grow a bicep to save my life...
What did you weigh? Starts getting really tough when you get to a close to a 2x BW bench. Kind of like build an NA Camaro. With a good amount of work you can get low to mid 11 car. But getting that car in the 10'a is a totally different ballgame.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #814
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Sounds like you're well on your way, your goal is well within your reach, keep on going and you will get there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
You are doing am awesome job! Keep it up!
I am. I am currently sitting at 16% body fat. My Goal is a relative number but essentially keep cutting until I hit between 5-7% body fat. Which should put me around 200-205 ish, I am trying to include muscle loss into this.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #815
driyac

Quote:
What did you weigh? Starts getting really tough when you get to a close to a 2x BW bench. Kind of like build an NA Camaro. With a good amount of work you can get low to mid 11 car. But getting that car in the 10'a is a totally different ballgame.
Depends.... Also it heavily depends on the type of training you are doing.

What type of routine are you working off of?

I know that right now, With the severe calorie cut I am in everything feels heavy however I still am strong and/ or stronger with repitous weights.(ie. benching 225 etc) However once i get to the heavier weights not having the extra balance weight is throwing me off.

If you are doing some sort of russian or 5x5 training you may be able to get to 375 soon.

I know that right now, every single set I use is 225 and above at 11-15 reps. I usually do 4 medium grip flat, 3 incline, 3 decline, dips, then finish up with close grip. I use 225 and above on every set. Let me tell you I am exhausted, However I feel so damn strong its awesome.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #816
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Depends.... Also it heavily depends on the type of training you are doing.
Not really...when you get to around that strength level (and 3x bw on the squat) it gets very, very difficult. I agree the training program is important and most people have no clue how to get maximally strong for 1 rep.

Again...the difference between a 194lb man benching 390 vs 365 (2x bw vs 1.9x bw) is absolutely huge.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #817
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
I am. I am currently sitting at 16% body fat. My Goal is a relative number but essentially keep cutting until I hit between 5-7% body fat. Which should put me around 200-205 ish, I am trying to include muscle loss into this.

Trying to reach 5-7% body fat and increasing strength to the degree you want is no easy task. Generally speaking, building strength/muscle and loosing fat are two different strategies. It can be done but the small details become very important, especially with nutrition. Everything you eat should be nutrient dense with absolutely no empty cals. Nutrient timing is also critical. Eating/drinking carbs and proteins pre/post workout to support muscle growth is essential as well as a good dose of casein protein before sleep. If in a caloric deficit as needed for cutting you will eventually burn out and loose strength. Carb cycling may be the ticket.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #818
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
I decided back in January after it hit me that in one year I would be 50 that I wanted to bench press 200% of my body weight on my 50th BD, in my baseline day in early January, I weighed in at 236 and bench pressed 315 lbs, now I'm only 5'9" so it was safe to say I needed to be two inches taller to be round, but I do have natural upper body strength. Either I could get alot stronger (470+ Bench) or lose weight. I also had slightly elevated BP and cholesterol, so I chose both. As of Friday, I am now down to 194 and my bench has not been adversely effected, still at 315 with a strict competition lift, I can now run 2 miles in under 19 minutes, and all my vitals are good. My goal is to lose down into the mid 180's and then build back to low 190s, so I must get my bench near 400, I'm a little ahead of my schedule, but with the summer and work travel, it will be close. 5 days a week in the gym and a big nutrition change (Herbalife) and I'm on my way. I don't know how many HP the 40+ lbs have been worth, but I expect quicker 1/4 mile times this summer.
I weigh right at 165 and bench 265 currently. I can get it for about 3 reps and I'm done (after doing 3 sets of 225). I'm very strong for my size and don't think I can bench 315 let alone 330. I'll be watching you to see how you do it.

Quote:
Coming from someone who got down to about 6% bodyfat last summer, it's not fun. Once the body gets in to single digit body fat it thinks it's starving. You'll get to a point that nothing seems to work and you end up cutting calories and carbs further to get those last few % and it's pretty miserable if I'm honest. I had bouts of memory loss I cut my carbs so low. I'd wake up in the morning and couldn't remember what I had for dinner or what I watched on TV. I felt kinda buzzy all the time too. I've decided 8% is gonna be my limit from now on. I just wanted to see how low I could actually go and 6% was enough for me to throw in the towel.

Quote:
Trying to reach 5-7% body fat and increasing strength to the degree you want is no easy task. Generally speaking, building strength/muscle and loosing fat are two different strategies. It can be done but the small details become very important, especially with nutrition. Everything you eat should be nutrient dense with absolutely no empty cals. Nutrient timing is also critical. Eating/drinking carbs and proteins pre/post workout to support muscle growth is essential as well as a good dose of casein protein before sleep. If in a caloric deficit as needed for cutting you will eventually burn out and loose strength. Carb cycling may be the ticket.
Good advice here. Especially the carb cycling. That always seemed to work well for those last few % I was trying to get rid of. I'm at about 10% BF now and headed back to 8% for summer.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #819
driyac

Quote:
CFD, great info man! However I am not the one trying to bench twice my body weight. I am just trying to lose the weight. I just have him an instance of my training.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #820
driyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post

Coming from someone who got down to about 6% bodyfat last summer, it's not fun. Once the body gets in to single digit body fat it thinks it's starving. You'll get to a point that nothing seems to work and you end up cutting calories and carbs further to get those last few % and it's pretty miserable if I'm honest. I had bouts of memory loss I cut my carbs so low. I'd wake up in the morning and couldn't remember what I had for dinner or what I watched on TV. I felt kinda buzzy all the time too. I've decided 8% is gonna be my limit from now on. I just wanted to see how low I could actually go and 6% was enough for me to throw in the towel.
I may never get to that 5%-7% but it is a goal I have always wanted to attain. However, If i get down to sub 10% and have define abs then I may say screw it.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #821
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
I may never get to that 5%-7% but it is a goal I have always wanted to attain. However, If i get down to sub 10% and have define abs then I may say screw it.
Right around 10% is where the abs start to show definition. 5% is very difficult and cannot be sustained for long. The body requires some fat stores to maintain itself and 5% is right at the point that is required, anything less than that or even maintaining it for a period of time is unhealthy. Even the most defined body builders or fitness models don't get much lower than that and is only for competition purposes and they put some fat back on post competition.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #822
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
If anybody could do it and it was easy, it wouldn't be a challenge, and yes I know it won't be easy, and at 50. So I'm a realist and I know things could be a stretch, so no problem listening to reality, but I'm optimistic. Been benching since I was a freshman in HS, I really thought the weight loss would be the hard part, that has turned out to have happened faster than I thought and with little loss of strength. Monday and Fridays are heavy chest and arm days with emphasis on tris, traditional flat, inclined and declined bench pyramid up and down. Wednesday is chest and arms with doing something different and or non-traditional, bar stripping, reverse grips, negatives, etc. 20 minute run everyday, Tuesday and Thursday back and legs. Doing the Herbalife meal replacement (with additional protein) now but will switch to Herbalife24 stuff in about 5 more lbs. My last personal best was in a 220 lbs weight class so I was probably 205ish as I was trying to get into 198s and didn't. I still have 7 months, I really want the 4 plates on each side, so we'll see. And 225 today for sets of 14, 8 and 3 (concentrated on form and breathing). When the big attempt is made, I'll post pics/video.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #823
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Quote:
Not really...when you get to around that strength level (and 3x bw on the squat) it gets very, very difficult. I agree the training program is important and most people have no clue how to get maximally strong for 1 rep.

Again...the difference between a 194lb man benching 390 vs 365 (2x bw vs 1.9x bw) is absolutely huge.
Yep it is... That's why I'm going for 405. Where you at in GA?
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #824
driyac

Quote:
Right around 10% is where the abs start to show definition. 5% is very difficult and cannot be sustained for long. The body requires some fat stores to maintain itself and 5% is right at the point that is required, anything less than that or even maintaining it for a period of time is unhealthy. Even the most defined body builders or fitness models don't get much lower than that and is only for competition purposes and they put some fat back on post competition.
Well I want that 10% goal soon!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #825
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Yep it is... That's why I'm going for 405. Where you at in GA?
Good for you!! 4 plates is a ton especially for someone drug free, 200 and under, and "older".

Duluth. North of ATL.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #826
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
At 10% my abs show but not with the good definition they had at 8%. Shoulders and traps were more defined at 8% as well. For my body composition that seems to be the happy place. At 6% I started looking a bit stringy.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote