Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #43
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
that makes absolutely no sense.
and I'm not hacking up my car, if I put those stupid projectors in, then that would be hacking up the car.
futhermore just about every feature on a car is regualted by the loser government and I'd bet my right arm that includes headlights too.

beam cutoff is just another word for adjusting your headlights.
:troll:

You obviously have absolutley no clue about HID projectors and how they work.

I guess if you call opening up your headlights hacking up your car then my car has been hacked to hell for about 2yrs now. Pretty good hack job though if I must say so myself.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #44
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:

beam cutoff is just another word for adjusting your headlights.

not quite..

a) It doesn't matter if you have your mega bright xenon bulbs "aimed properly", or even aimed lower at the ground OR aimed directly to the ground for that matter, nor does it matter if you "tested" your xenon/hid kit while driving in another car to make sure you're not blinding someone, you will see what you want to see, everyone else will see, well, nothing depending where they're situated from you, cause you'll still be blinding them. The focal points of actual xenon bulbs most certainly will not be designed for the stock reflector housing or will be of poor rebased bulb quality resulting in light scatter, when the focal point is blocked, placed too far forwards or backwards ( talking millimeters or even less), or sitting in a spot where it's not designed to be placed then what tends to happen is excessive and infinite light trajectory paths, see below :

Notice anything about how this talon is driving parallel by this honda? Which one has HID bulbs in stock halogen housings I wonder? Oh yes.. the talon's "properly aimed" HID lights are beaming at the camera, the honda's halogens are not, both facing the same direction away from the camera. A motorist's iris' are more sensitive then the camera's iris, the camera is only picking up what it can see and regulate to record, but trust me there's way more of those excess beam patterns then what a human eye or a camera can see, and it hurts.. some more then others. It's like looking at the stars, you can see a star somewhere in your peripheral vision, but when you look there that star disappears, its the same idea, it's hidden light. Here is another example picture of this "aimed" kit:

Supposedly these headlamps and fog lamps have been "aimed properly". How can you aim a light properly if it's not used for it's proper designed application? The simple answer is you can not, that is not how this stuff is engineered. You will see this exact same thing above if he were driving in the fog on the highway, one beam pattern aimed as close as correctly possible down and forwards, and then multiple maybe countless others (depending on POV) pointed straight sideways and even up to the sky. From the same distance with a halogen or a projector you should only be able to see a beam patten angling towards the ground without blowing out the camera, not light aiming everywhere else and then at the ground. If this guy has aimed these properly, how is possible that the camera is photographing blue light ABOVE the car, all the while the POV is above the car? Does this look as cool as you think? Well it looks like ****. Bright ****. Really bright ****.

b) An HID bulb needs to be fit in to a proper projection housing with proper cut off shields (built for D*S or D*R bulbs) or else it will glare/haze out at other drivers and blind them, same as light scatter, it does not matter how you have them aimed, you cannot control the glare. Most would think glare is a reflection of light off of a shiny object or wet ground, but when it comes to HID's or xenon bulbs being installed into unsuitable headlamps, glare is a nasty by-product of an improper set-up because the beam pattern of an arc bulb is sending light EVERYWHERE, the light produced refracts off the lenses, shrouds, chrome and reflectors in the stock halogen housings, even when "properly aimed". One way to tell if you're HID's are glaring (and consequently blinding other motorists) is simply looking at your headlamp. If the whole assembly is blown out with light (like so) then your answer is yes, you are totally glaring, and it is not cool to glare.

Here is what this looks like at a distance:

Mmmm attractive, so cool and blue looking.. and a disorganized mess of light that is hard to look at even momentarily.. this owner was courteous enough to aim them lower towards the ground to compensate for using xenon's in halogen housing. Granted all these shots are taken above the height of the talon. Looks like that worked out well.

Here's what that "properly lower aimed" glare and light scatter look like when they're combined facing head on, and even from an elevated POV.

Would the del sol's head lamps look just like this at the same angle? The answer is a definite no. Why? Because the honda has the correct bulbs in the correct housings that are designed for one another, the beam pattern is going to spread towards more where it has to and less of where it doesn't. The camera may catch a little bit of glare but it's not enough to compare to that awesomely blue brightness..

To summarize, while thinking of another members recent post, yes, only asshats put HID bulbs in stock halogen reflector housings (poll option lol) especially in trucks and SUVS that have headlamps situated higher up. They will blind in ways that you cannot see, you can aim the main beams forwards and down, but that doesn't stop these intense light bulbs from aiming visible or non visible light absolutely everywhere else at the same time. Using an HID kit in an aftermarket projector housing or stock projector housing will still scatter light and glare (unless they are designed for use with D*S or D*R bulbs), but not as bad as a normal halogen reflector housing.

Sure, you've driven with these kits for months, years, or half a decade+ without ever getting pulled over or ticketed. This may be because almost everyone is chasing after that "hid blue look" (which is, in fact a by-product of a legit HID system's light cut off), it's too popular to go 'xenon blue and blind', so there's no point in police trying to get people on this anymore.

There is a reason why certain housings and bulbs are specifically designed for use with one another, there is a reason why cars today with HID equipped lighting are required to have self leveling computer/mechanical systems (2.5 degree drop per X distance < theoretical ex), there is a reason why arc bulbs are a completely different design than halogen bulbs, there is a reason why OEM HID's appear lightly colored in a distance and white when near and it cannot be replicated with a xenon/HID retrofit kit or by any halogen housing.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y5n38wDe684#!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #45
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
You are just an idiot. Plain and simple. Very entertaining though. Ill ask again. Are you like 15?? I've been working with HID lighting for over 5 years. You haven't even been a teenager that long. Every car in my driveway is retrofitted. Both my gfs cars. My plow truck and plow. My 2 cars and my GSX-R. Not one of them is hacked. Your treating your car like a monkey with a civic. Too bad stupid doesn't hurt cuz you would be in a ton of pain.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #46
CuSStomRS

Drives: Black 2SSRS
Does this also stop the abl from coming on automatically at night when you open the door??
CuSStomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #47
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
not quite..

a) It doesn't matter if you have your mega bright xenon bulbs "aimed properly", or even aimed lower at the ground OR aimed directly to the ground for that matter, nor does it matter if you "tested" your xenon/hid kit while driving in another car to make sure you're not blinding someone, you will see what you want to see, everyone else will see, well, nothing depending where they're situated from you, cause you'll still be blinding them. The focal points of actual xenon bulbs most certainly will not be designed for the stock reflector housing or will be of poor rebased bulb quality resulting in light scatter, when the focal point is blocked, placed too far forwards or backwards ( talking millimeters or even less), or sitting in a spot where it's not designed to be placed then what tends to happen is excessive and infinite light trajectory paths, see below :

Notice anything about how this talon is driving parallel by this honda? Which one has HID bulbs in stock halogen housings I wonder? Oh yes.. the talon's "properly aimed" HID lights are beaming at the camera, the honda's halogens are not, both facing the same direction away from the camera. A motorist's iris' are more sensitive then the camera's iris, the camera is only picking up what it can see and regulate to record, but trust me there's way more of those excess beam patterns then what a human eye or a camera can see, and it hurts.. some more then others. It's like looking at the stars, you can see a star somewhere in your peripheral vision, but when you look there that star disappears, its the same idea, it's hidden light. Here is another example picture of this "aimed" kit:

Supposedly these headlamps and fog lamps have been "aimed properly". How can you aim a light properly if it's not used for it's proper designed application? The simple answer is you can not, that is not how this stuff is engineered. You will see this exact same thing above if he were driving in the fog on the highway, one beam pattern aimed as close as correctly possible down and forwards, and then multiple maybe countless others (depending on POV) pointed straight sideways and even up to the sky. From the same distance with a halogen or a projector you should only be able to see a beam patten angling towards the ground without blowing out the camera, not light aiming everywhere else and then at the ground. If this guy has aimed these properly, how is possible that the camera is photographing blue light ABOVE the car, all the while the POV is above the car? Does this look as cool as you think? Well it looks like ****. Bright ****. Really bright ****.

b) An HID bulb needs to be fit in to a proper projection housing with proper cut off shields (built for D*S or D*R bulbs) or else it will glare/haze out at other drivers and blind them, same as light scatter, it does not matter how you have them aimed, you cannot control the glare. Most would think glare is a reflection of light off of a shiny object or wet ground, but when it comes to HID's or xenon bulbs being installed into unsuitable headlamps, glare is a nasty by-product of an improper set-up because the beam pattern of an arc bulb is sending light EVERYWHERE, the light produced refracts off the lenses, shrouds, chrome and reflectors in the stock halogen housings, even when "properly aimed". One way to tell if you're HID's are glaring (and consequently blinding other motorists) is simply looking at your headlamp. If the whole assembly is blown out with light (like so) then your answer is yes, you are totally glaring, and it is not cool to glare.

Here is what this looks like at a distance:

Mmmm attractive, so cool and blue looking.. and a disorganized mess of light that is hard to look at even momentarily.. this owner was courteous enough to aim them lower towards the ground to compensate for using xenon's in halogen housing. Granted all these shots are taken above the height of the talon. Looks like that worked out well.

Here's what that "properly lower aimed" glare and light scatter look like when they're combined facing head on, and even from an elevated POV.

Would the del sol's head lamps look just like this at the same angle? The answer is a definite no. Why? Because the honda has the correct bulbs in the correct housings that are designed for one another, the beam pattern is going to spread towards more where it has to and less of where it doesn't. The camera may catch a little bit of glare but it's not enough to compare to that awesomely blue brightness..

To summarize, while thinking of another members recent post, yes, only asshats put HID bulbs in stock halogen reflector housings (poll option lol) especially in trucks and SUVS that have headlamps situated higher up. They will blind in ways that you cannot see, you can aim the main beams forwards and down, but that doesn't stop these intense light bulbs from aiming visible or non visible light absolutely everywhere else at the same time. Using an HID kit in an aftermarket projector housing or stock projector housing will still scatter light and glare (unless they are designed for use with D*S or D*R bulbs), but not as bad as a normal halogen reflector housing.

Sure, you've driven with these kits for months, years, or half a decade+ without ever getting pulled over or ticketed. This may be because almost everyone is chasing after that "hid blue look" (which is, in fact a by-product of a legit HID system's light cut off), it's too popular to go 'xenon blue and blind', so there's no point in police trying to get people on this anymore.

There is a reason why certain housings and bulbs are specifically designed for use with one another, there is a reason why cars today with HID equipped lighting are required to have self leveling computer/mechanical systems (2.5 degree drop per X distance < theoretical ex), there is a reason why arc bulbs are a completely different design than halogen bulbs, there is a reason why OEM HID's appear lightly colored in a distance and white when near and it cannot be replicated with a xenon/HID retrofit kit or by any halogen housing.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y5n38wDe684#!

the only thing you proved with all that hot air was that 55w HID's are brighter than halogens, you didnt show any pictures of projectors with hid's head on because they would do the exact same thing.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #48
C586
Account Suspended

How dumb are you?? If projectors performed the same as reflectors why would car makers spend millions in R & D developing projectors?? So they could waste money?? Because that makes sense. Why was the retrofit industry around?? Just because?? Why does every modern car with HID use projectors?? Obviously your so much smarter than all those people. Why don't you make some new kind of lighting if your such a genius and you single handedly know more about lighting than every other person in the auto industry?? Oh right. Your dumber than a rock. I almost forgot. You have yet to make any kind of intelligent statement. Ever. You still haven't answered me so I'm guessing I'm right. You are 15 aren't you?? You should leave the real cars to adults. You should give the camaro to your sister and get a car made for little hacks like you. A 1989 crx would be a perfect car for you.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #49
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
How dumb are you?? If projectors performed the same as reflectors why would car makers spend millions in R & D developing projectors?? So they could waste money?? Because that makes sense. Why was the retrofit industry around?? Just because?? Why does every modern car with HID use projectors?? Obviously your so much smarter than all those people. Why don't you make some new kind of lighting if your such a genius and you single handedly know more about lighting than every other person in the auto industry?? Oh right. Your dumber than a rock. I almost forgot. You have yet to make any kind of intelligent statement. Ever. You still haven't answered me so I'm guessing I'm right. You are 15 aren't you?? You should leave the real cars to adults. You should give the camaro to your sister and get a car made for little hacks like you. A 1989 crx would be a perfect car for you.
you dont know anything about marketing & govt reuglation do you?? why do people pay 4 times as much for nikes just becaise they have stupid lebron james on them? why do people pay 4 times as much for factory HID's? Why does everyone have to have those stupid glow in the dark handles in their trunks? why does every parking lot have 3 handicap spaces that no one ever uses? because it's a ripoff.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #50
C586
Account Suspended

Quote:
you dont know anything about marketing & govt reuglation do you?? why do people pay 4 times as much for nikes just becaise they have stupid lebron james on them? why do people pay 4 times as much for factory HID's? Why does everyone have to have those stupid glow in the dark handles in their trunks? why does every parking lot have 3 handicap spaces that no one ever uses? because it's a ripoff.
Ill admit I don't know much but you just proved that I know more than you. People pay more for HID because the system costs more. The government has nothing to do with the price of some shitty pair of sneakers. They cost more because Nike had to pay him to be on their sneakers. So they pass that cost onto idiots like you that throw a temper tantrum when your parents don't buy them for you. You know cuz your 15 and don't earn anything on your own. But at least you look cool until that well runs dry. The glow in the dark handles are there for a real reason. When you talk crap to the wrong person and they throw you in a trunk even somebody as dumb as you can get out. So when a 4 year old accidentally gets locked in they won't suffocate. And handicapped people use handicapped parking. Are you trolling or are you really this dumb??
Old 11-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #51
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
the only thing you proved with all that hot air was that 55w HID's are brighter than halogens, you didnt show any pictures of projectors with hid's head on because they would do the exact same thing.
no they don't:

projector vs. no projector:

Projector:

same car no projector:

Government regulation has zero to do with the use and expense of HIDs if it did EVERY CAR WOULD HAVE THEM NOT JUST HIGHER PRICED MODELS.

Gov't regulation = Airbags, 5mph bumpers, seat belts, anti-lock brakes, red brake lights...

Basically anything that is considered a required safety feature.

HIDs are not a required item on any vehicle in the USA or Canada, they are an OPTIONAL item, but they must meet DOT requirements for proper light output, intensity and focus.

----

on a side note, I did not at any time insult your or post anything derogatory toward or about you (like you opted too toward me), I simply posted information so you and anyone else in this thread could further educate themselves on the differences between an HID bulb in a refractory housing and an HID bulb in a proper housing.

I see now that you suffer from inmate mentality, and therefore cannot be reached, educated, or enlightened, so I am done with you.

inmate mentality: the thought process invoked by convicted criminals in which whatever they think up in their pea sized brains is truth, even with no basis in fact and even when proved wrong over and over by vastly superior people with vastly superior intellect, they continue to cling on to the notion that because they thought it up it is truth and fact where in fact it is usually fantasy and fiction..
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #52
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
no they don't:

projector vs. no projector:

Projector:

same car no projector:

Government regulation has zero to do with the use and expense of HIDs if it did EVERY CAR WOULD HAVE THEM NOT JUST HIGHER PRICED MODELS.

Gov't regulation = Airbags, 5mph bumpers, seat belts, anti-lock brakes, red brake lights...

Basically anything that is considered a required safety feature.

HIDs are not a required item on any vehicle in the USA or Canada, they are an OPTIONAL item, but they must meet DOT requirements for proper light output, intensity and focus.

----

on a side note, I did not at any time insult your or post anything derogatory toward or about you (like you opted too toward me), I simply posted information so you and anyone else in this thread could further educate themselves on the differences between an HID bulb in a refractory housing and an HID bulb in a proper housing.

I see now that you suffer from inmate mentality, and therefore cannot be reached, educated, or enlightened, so I am done with you.

inmate mentality: the thought process invoked by convicted criminals in which whatever they think up in their pea sized brains is truth, even with no basis in fact and even when proved wrong over and over by vastly superior people with vastly superior intellect, they continue to cling on to the notion that because they thought it up it is truth and fact where in fact it is usually fantasy and fiction..

amazing, you have proved my point, there is almost no difference between the 2. Infact I like the Halogen lamps better because they dont have that stupid cutoff line but it's bacisally like lebron james nikes & non-labron james nikes, onbe has a slightly different look so suckers pay twice as much for them.

oh nd I love how in one sentence you say govt regulation has nothing to do with it and then in the next one admit that HID's are regualted byt he government, so which is it again?

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 11-15-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #53
C586
Account Suspended

All headlights are regulated so they don't blind others on the road. Not just HiD. Would you care if everyone that drove at you just turned their high beams on?? Because thats shat your gonna be doing to everyone else. If i lived near you id take your headlights out with my bat. I am willing to bet alot of money that if you could have afforded the RS package you would have. Too bad your parents could only afford a base model. Lol at stupid cutoff line. Every single person that cares about lighting on their car wants that line. Your the biggest fail on this site. I still gotta know, are you trolling or are you really this dumb?? Are you even old enough to drive??
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #54
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
amazing, you have proved my point, there is almost no difference between the 2. Infact I like the Halogen lamps better because they dont have that stupid cutoff line but it's bacisally like lebron james nikes & non-labron james nikes, onbe has a slightly different look so suckers pay twice as much for them.

oh nd I love how in one sentence you say govt regulation has nothing to do with it and then in the next one admit that HID's are regualted byt he government, so which is it again?

inmate mentality: the thought process invoked by internet trolls in which whatever they think up in their pea sized brains is truth, even with no basis in fact and even when proved wrong over and over by vastly superior people with vastly superior intellect, they continue to cling on to the notion that because they thought it up it is truth and fact where in fact it is usually fantasy and fiction..
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #55
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=C586;5813225] Lol at stupid cutoff line. Every single person that cares about lighting on their car wants that line. QUOTE]

just like every fool wants lebron james nikes.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #56
C586
Account Suspended

Quote:

just like every fool wants lebron james nikes.
I don't care what kind of sneakers your parents bought for you. At 15 you should have a job and at least buy your own sneakers.