Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: will the new camaros become a collectible?
collectible 188 63.95%
not collectible 106 36.05%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #43
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
I say only the special editions like the Tom Henry's and such, and that is only if you have very low miles and it looks it just left the factory.

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #44
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
I didn't vote as i think it's a matter of opinion.
Here's the the thing with "collectibles." I'll use Hot Wheels as an example since I USED (fortunately) to collect them. Around 40 years ago no one ever imagined that things like that would bring the big money they bring now. Parents bought them for their kids, kids bought them, and they played with the VAST majority of them tearing them up. A VERY FEW adults and EVEN fewer kids actually preseved them and even fewer kept them in the package. So now they bring hundreds, and even thousands of dollars. Now adays people see this and every one and there mother buys two of everything so they have at least one in package thinking that in 30 or 40 years they'll be worth big money. Supply and demand high school economics. Thirty or fourty years from now there will still be a lot of Hot Wheels in their packages by people thinking they will be worth big money very unlike what happend 40 years ago. So IMO they will never acheive the status that the Hot Wheels from the late 60's and early 70's did.
Much like first gen Camaro's. They were mass-produced and there were so many of them that virtually noone envisioned what their value would be today. People drove them and got rid of them.
You do see perfectly preserved "collector" vehicles cross the blocks now and then and they generally go for near what they cost.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #45
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
WIth all the Plastics and Rubbers on todays cars (as opposed to the 67-69) do you think these cars will make 20-25 years. I would be suprised if they do not look like crap in 5 - 10 even just sitting in storage.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #46
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
in a LONG time, maybe. these aren't cars like the 60's cars that had their charms. You don't see the value of 3rd gens going up, and those are in the 20-30 year range.

I think your going to have to look into the 50+ year range for them to be in collector status, if ever.
.. maybe even longer ..

Crowley
Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #47
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
I didn't vote as i think it's a matter of opinion.
Here's the the thing with "collectibles." I'll use Hot Wheels as an example since I USED (fortunately) to collect them. Around 40 years ago no one ever imagined that things like that would bring the big money they bring now. Parents bought them for their kids, kids bought them, and they played with the VAST majority of them tearing them up. A VERY FEW adults and EVEN fewer kids actually preseved them and even fewer kept them in the package. So now they bring hundreds, and even thousands of dollars. Now adays people see this and every one and there mother buys two of everything so they have at least one in package thinking that in 30 or 40 years they'll be worth big money. Supply and demand high school economics. Thirty or fourty years from now there will still be a lot of Hot Wheels in their packages by people thinking they will be worth big money very unlike what happend 40 years ago. So IMO they will never acheive the status that the Hot Wheels from the late 60's and early 70's did.
Much like first gen Camaro's. They were mass-produced and there were so many of them that virtually noone envisioned what their value would be today. People drove them and got rid of them.
You do see perfectly preserved "collector" vehicles cross the blocks now and then and they generally go for near what they cost.
SO TRUE.

Not only that even if something IS rare it doesn't mean its valuable. Case in point years ago when I was buying a used LS1 TA I found a 98 WS6 in this Purple color they had briefly, apparently there was some problem with the paint so they replaced it with NBM. They made only 6 WS6's in this color. It had like 60k miles, and was going for LESS than an equivalent WS6, it was in great shape too! But in the end.. it was still a purple trans am LOL!

There are many other examples of cars as rare as a Hemi Cuda that are worth less than their original sticker price.

Take a look at the Buick Grand National, an infinitely desireable and collectable car. Sold new fully loaded for $17k. A mint low mile one right now goes for $20k to $25k. They only built 28,000 GN's between 1986 and 1987 (the 84-85 GN is less desireable and does not go for the price the intercooled cars go for). Or the 89 Turbo Trans Am, they only built 1,555, it sold new for almost $30,000 (which was REALLY expensive for a TA back then), MINT low mileage cars go for $25-30k now.

Those cars are FAR less common than the Camaro will be, they are extremely desireable, and just now they are just about matching their sticker price.

Drive it, enjoy it, and whatever you do don't stick it in a garage for 30 years, its a waste of a fun ride!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #48
demomaster

Drives: 2SS black on black
I still think that the value of these cars will never see a price above the original sticker price!! Unless there is something rare about it, and I bet there are some copo like cars that were built for some people who know people that we just don't know about! 20 years from now we will see a fully documented 2010 camaro with a hugger orange paint code and that would be priceless! jmo
demomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #49
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Collectible yes, but not for at least 30yrs. And only the SS/RS's will bring the bigger money. Not worth it IMO, there are better ways to invest money for profit. But if you want to invest money for fun, buy a camaro and drive it!

Trying to predict what will be collectible 30yrs from now is almost impossible. Who knows, after all the baby boomers die off, riced out 90's honda's might be what gen X and Yers make collectible.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #50
mike302

Drives: 1969 RS Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to mike302
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
Who knows, after all the baby boomers die off, riced out 90's honda's might be what gen X and Yers make collectible.

Not this gen Xer. NEVER!
mike302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #51
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by demomaster View Post
I still think that the value of these cars will never see a price above the original sticker price!! Unless there is something rare about it, and I bet there are some copo like cars that were built for some people who know people that we just don't know about! 20 years from now we will see a fully documented 2010 camaro with a hugger orange paint code and that would be priceless! jmo
Your just plain wrong. (insert standard flamage).

25 years and in most states you can get classic plates. like Texas.

The price then starts going up up up if in good shape.

And for you to say that is just ignoring the history of the Camaro and Corvette.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #52
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Buy it.
Drive it.
Enjoy it.
If it becomes a collectable....bonus!!!!
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #53
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post

And for you to say that is just ignoring the history of the Camaro and Corvette.
How much does an 85 Corvette go for? Or 85 Camaro? They are probably worth more in scrap metal than as a complete unit at this point.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #54
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
no don't think so.. it's the 69 who has the most appeal. no models of the camaro will ever come close.[[ok the zr1,copo,yenko etc]just look at the crazy rich people at barrett-jackson in scottsdale.. they are spending like hell on those cars you don't see the 3rd or 4th gen attracts lots of $$ .
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #55
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post

Ummm.... not so much. Does it go up if its clean? Yeah its no longer a $1000 car to get you around... Does it go anywhere to be worth mothballing it for 25 years? Or restoring it to clean or as new shape? Not by a long shot. You're talking the difference between a $1000 car and a $4000 car.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #56
racingray68
racingray

Drives: 1968 camaro ss
I dont think that this car will ever be a collectible,especially as fast as they can churn them out. Does anyone know how many that they could make per day in the 60's?
racingray68 is offline   Reply With Quote