Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Rendo

Drives: 2010 2SS
Starting to sound like a dump truck

Hi and thanks for checking out my thread. Bought my 2010 2SS w/ 20k miles a few months ago. Absolutely live driving the car, but sometimes shifting in the lower gears (2nd/3rd) I would often hear clatter which just didn't sit right with me.

Car now has 22k and starting today shifting in and out of 2nd sounds like what a dump truck I use to drive sounded like. From the searches I have done, it appears it could be as simple as changing the fluids so I did purchase some AMSOIL transmission and diff fluid (I've been meaning to change the diff anyways).

My question is what else this could be and what is causing it? I don't drive hard 99% of the time and have never tried doing a burnout or the like.

Thanks!
Rendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Andy@AMSOIL
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Let's us know what you find
Andy@AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Rendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@AMSOIL View Post
Let's us know what you find
Thanks, will do. Since I'm at an APO, will you guys ship priority or ground?

Was hoping for more input. Until I get back to the states taking it to the dealer really isn't an option.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
Rendo

After some more driving today, it's just not a second gear noise. The noise is louder shifting through the lower gears, but I heard some clatter shifting 4th to 5th at 28mph.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
Rendo

Been reading through threads on this issue all morning and come to the conclusion there is no conclusion. Seems to be different solutions or none at all when it comes to what appears to be the same problem I'm describing.

Seems I can avoid the rattle noise if I shift at a slightly higher rpm than what I am use to driving. Is this being caused because I am shifting too low? Also, I was always taught to ride the clutch (depress clutch all the way) while coasting down hills or coming to a stop. Am I wrong and is this doing damage?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
If you're changing from 4th to 5th at 28mph, you are changing way too early. Even in my V6 I don't change from 2nd to 3rd until I'm at around 30mph; i.e. second in all our towns and villages, and have barely used 6th unless I'm on motorways.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendo View Post
After some more driving today, it's just not a second gear noise. The noise is louder shifting through the lower gears, but I heard some clatter shifting 4th to 5th at 28mph.
At 28MPH I'm still climbing 1st gear

But seriously, that's really early to be in 4th. I do most of my gear changes between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM for everyday driving. I realize fuel is much more expensive over there so maybe shifting at 1,500-2,500 RPM and/or skipping from 1st to 3rd to 5th would be better.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Rendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray bullitt View Post
If you're changing from 4th to 5th at 28mph, you are changing way too early. Even in my V6 I don't change from 2nd to 3rd until I'm at around 30mph; i.e. second in all our towns and villages, and have barely used 6th unless I'm on motorways.
You're right, I definitely need to shift later. I usually don't shift that early, but I do usually drive on 5th through the 30 mph towns and had been driving conservatively lately without issue. I drove more aggressively today and the drive was great.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Rendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
At 28MPH I'm still climbing 1st gear

But seriously, that's really early to be in 4th. I do most of my gear changes between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM for everyday driving. I realize fuel is much more expensive over there so maybe shifting at 1,500-2,500 RPM and/or skipping from 1st to 3rd to 5th would be better.
When accelerating to highway speeds I usually go 1st to 4th to 6th, but this was in a 30mph zone. I would expect the car to fell bogged down shifting that low, but the clatter is what disturbed me.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
have you checked your driveshaft?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Been reading through threads on this issue all morning and come to the conclusion there is no conclusion. Seems to be different solutions or none at all when it comes to what appears to be the same problem I'm describing.

Seems I can avoid the rattle noise if I shift at a slightly higher rpm than what I am use to driving. Is this being caused because I am shifting too low? Also, I was always taught to ride the clutch (depress clutch all the way) while coasting down hills or coming to a stop. Am I wrong and is this doing damage?
The proper way to decelerate is to stay in gear, keeping your engine in a usable RPM range as you come to a stop, which obviously requires downshifting as you brake. Reason being, you can still drive/maneuver the car in an instant if a situation arises. If you're coasting, you only have the brakes to control the car. I drive like this when I'm in heavy traffic or unfamiliar areas.

That said, downshifting is much more work than upshifting simply because your right foot is hopping back and forth between the accelerator and brake between every gear change (using the accelerator to match RPM when dropping to a lower gear). You could always use the clutch to absorb the RPM difference but that's extra wear on the clutch.

I live in the suburbs and I know the roads well. I have a bad habit of putting the car in neutral and coasting down long slow hills. I tell myself every time that this isn't good technique" but too often laziness wins out and I coast.

But I don't hold the clutch in for more than 3-5 seconds at a time. I'll put it in neutral at red-lights or while waiting for traffic to clear before pulling out onto the road.

Ultimately, brakes are cheaper/easier to replace than the clutch so I go pretty easy on my clutch during day-to-day driving.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Rendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
have you checked your driveshaft?
I have not. What would I be looking for?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
Rendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
The proper way to decelerate is to stay in gear, keeping your engine in a usable RPM range as you come to a stop, which obviously requires downshifting as you brake. Reason being, you can still drive/maneuver the car in an instant if a situation arises. If you're coasting, you only have the brakes to control the car. I drive like this when I'm in heavy traffic or unfamiliar areas.

That said, downshifting is much more work than upshifting simply because your right foot is hopping back and forth between the accelerator and brake between every gear change (using the accelerator to match RPM when dropping to a lower gear). You could always use the clutch to absorb the RPM difference but that's extra wear on the clutch.

I live in the suburbs and I know the roads well. I have a bad habit of putting the car in neutral and coasting down long slow hills. I tell myself every time that this isn't good technique" but too often laziness wins out and I coast.

But I don't hold the clutch in for more than 3-5 seconds at a time. I'll put it in neutral at red-lights or while waiting for traffic to clear before pulling out onto the road.

Ultimately, brakes are cheaper/easier to replace than the clutch so I go pretty easy on my clutch during day-to-day driving.
Thanks Medsin, that's really good info. I always thought people used downshifting to save on their brakes, which to me never made sense because of the point you already made. When I hold the clutch in I still shift to the appropriate gear in case I have to maneuver, but I will start downshifting as you described.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
I have not. What would I be looking for?
looseness or the carrier bearing being shot
see posts 83 and 84 in this thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...bearing&page=3

and check the vid in this one too

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=166
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote