Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
V8 appearance vs. V6 Discussion!

Ok guys let me start by saying I am in no way bashing the V6 or anyone that chose a V6 and lets not let this thread get out of hand. I just thought it would be neat to discuss what if any changes should have been made or should still be made to the appearance of the V8 to differentiate it from a V6. I mean basically your paying for a bigger motor but I just think maybe the exterior should be a little bit more different.

Obviously we have different badges. We have the mail slot which some people hate, i don't mind even though its not functional. The lower grille is slightly different as is the lower fascia is different for the SS trim. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think thats all besides standard 20's on a SS, which can easily be added to a V6 with the RS package.

In a different thread someone mentioned the heritage grille should be standard on the camaro, so i said maybe it should be standard on the SS trim. Or maybe the cowl hood should be SS and the V6 should get a flat hood? Maybe the V6 should get the spoiler we have now and the SS should get a slightly taller spoiler(not the high wing and not the dovetail) just slightly taller than it is now enough to notice. Anything else, any ideas, I just thought it might make a good discussion. Pardon me if anything like this has been posted before, I'm typically the first one to direct someone to the search button.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
gold5000000

Drives: n/a
well there is the little vent on the nose, to be honest i like the car how it is and would be afraid of likeing the V6 better but and needing to choose between engine and looks just my .02
Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
This has been "discussed " for 9 months. Can we find a new bone to chew on?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
To me it's what's under the hood that counts. Yeah any V6 camaro owner can make there car look like the SS but it can't sound like one
Old 08-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7

here we go again.................
Old 08-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #6
cstproductions

Drives: Future 1LT IBM Camaro
A v6 with a flat hood would be horrible imho.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Brembos aren't on the V6. And you are talking crazy if you think they don't also count towards appearance.

Anyway, whats next? People who bought the V8 for performance saying that those that bought the V8 just to say they have a V8 should pay an asshat tax? At some point, I think everyone here needs to realize that GM is awesome for monitoring this site and taking into consideration our opinions, but they do actually have to sell cars... and its actually more cost effective to make the cars look as identical as possible.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstproductions View Post
A v6 with a flat hood would be horrible imho.

Why does the OP care about being different then the v6?

thats a little selfish dont you think?

why don't you buy the nickey Stinger Hood to differentiate yourself from the v6 users?

a Camaro Is a camaro regardless of what engine is in the car
Old 08-08-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
Panther67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Angry It is what it is!!!!!

V6 is a V6 and a V8 is a V8 end of story all said and done dont try to dig up old bones....................:paddle :...... both V6 and V8 end of story...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
TheNetGarage
We Sell Vinyl!

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Personally, I think a painted Body Kit should be standard on the SS.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:36 AM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Ok guys let me start by saying I am in no way bashing the V6 or anyone that chose a V6 and lets not let this thread get out of hand. I just thought it would be neat to discuss what if any changes should have been made or should still be made to the appearance of the V8 to differentiate it from a V6. I mean basically your paying for a bigger motor but I just think maybe the exterior should be a little bit more different.

Obviously we have different badges. We have the mail slot which some people hate, i don't mind even though its not functional. The lower grille is slightly different as is the lower fascia is different for the SS trim. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think thats all besides standard 20's on a SS, which can easily be added to a V6 with the RS package.

In a different thread someone mentioned the heritage grille should be standard on the camaro, so i said maybe it should be standard on the SS trim. Or maybe the cowl hood should be SS and the V6 should get a flat hood? Maybe the V6 should get the spoiler we have now and the SS should get a slightly taller spoiler(not the high wing and not the dovetail) just slightly taller than it is now enough to notice. Anything else, any ideas, I just thought it might make a good discussion. Pardon me if anything like this has been posted before, I'm typically the first one to direct someone to the search button.
Here is the big picture. The more expensive cars need to look better. Because well.. they are more expensive. It all boils down to dollars at the end of the day. These features cost money.

If they made LS that looked like a 45 grand loaded 2SS/RS then why would you not buy it for 24 g's?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:11 AM   #12
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
It's a known fact that the V8 owners wish they could differentiate themselves from the V6's with more exterior differences. I'm constantly asked "V8?" all the time when people see the car so regular people can't tell the difference.

Guess what though, that's the POINT. GM wants people to treat the V6 like the V8 because GM hopes to tell a ton of V6 cars. They want people in the V6 to get the rockstar treatment as well. If they did something like remove the muscular hood from V6 cars, then they would lose a lot of V6 sales. Not only that, GM saves a ton of money in the long run by not having to add more modifications to the V8.

I know when I'm driving my car that it's a V8 because I can "feel" the difference. Other people in my car will know as well. That's all that really matters.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #13
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
It's a known fact that the V8 owners wish they could differentiate themselves from the V6's with more exterior differences. I'm constantly asked "V8?" all the time when people see the car so regular people can't tell the difference.

Guess what though, that's the POINT. GM wants people to treat the V6 like the V8 because GM hopes to tell a ton of V6 cars. They want people in the V6 to get the rockstar treatment as well. If they did something like remove the muscular hood from V6 cars, then they would lose a lot of V6 sales. Not only that, GM saves a ton of money in the long run by not having to add more modifications to the V8.

I know when I'm driving my car that it's a V8 because I can "feel" the difference. Other people in my car will know as well. That's all that really matters.
I think it is all good. Isn't that how it is with all cars though? You have to really know the car to be able to tell right away what it has in it.

My 4th gen Camry for example I know the difference between the CE, LE, and XLE, and the only difference in the 4 cylinder and the V6, is of course the V6 engine and the v6 badge.

I'm glad that the camaro isn't that way.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAmish View Post
Brembos aren't on the V6. And you are talking crazy if you think they don't also count towards appearance.

Anyway, whats next? People who bought the V8 for performance saying that those that bought the V8 just to say they have a V8 should pay an asshat tax? At some point, I think everyone here needs to realize that GM is awesome for monitoring this site and taking into consideration our opinions, but they do actually have to sell cars... and its actually more cost effective to make the cars look as identical as possible.

I think the cars look different enough. I would have preffered the V8's looking exactly like the concept however I'm glad we have the extra headroom in the cabin and larger side mirrors after driving the vehicle.

Closed Thread