Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Headlight Retrofit. Non-RS. PIC HEAVY

Heres a little background on my headlights. When I first got my car I ordered green and white dual color halos to go in my Non-RS headlight. They looked alright and everyone loved them. Then I tinted my headlights because I really do not like the look of the cheap reflective halogen headlight. So, the headlights looked good and no one could really tell they were non-rs. But, I wanted to add colorshift halos, so I decided to do a projector retrofit at the same time because I would be opening up the housings anyways.

So, I ordered the projectors from and shrouds from the http://www.TheRetrofitSource.com/ They were the: Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 and Mini Graphite shrouds and cost $126 with shipping.

Then I ordered colorshift 2.0 halos with remote from AAC http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...olorshift.aspx and that cost $250 with a discount I found online

Then I ordered a 35watt 5000k Hid kit from http://www.TheRetrofitSource.com/ for $105.

Then I bought a $5 can of krylon matte black paint from lowes and thatsall it took.

So for $486 you could have this same exact setup, or $236 you could have this setup minus the halos.

PS the hids will be here in a few days, so I cant reseal the headlights just yet because I need to make sure the projector cutoff is aligned properly first, but I tested the colorshift halos and they are amazing. Feel free to ask any questions as this is a considerably cheaper way of getting RS headlight look alikes.

Last edited by austinjames; 07-24-2012 at 11:44 AM.
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
What do you think of ddm tuning? I had just did this to mine and am now seeing where to get my hid kit. I only need the ballasts and bulbs and was going to buy them from the retrofit source for 150 but if ddm tuning sells the kit for less I might just buy that. I'm just concerned with the quality, this is my dd and I don't want things going out on me.
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
What do you think of ddm tuning? I had just did this to mine and am now seeing where to get my hid kit. I only need the ballasts and bulbs and was going to buy them from the retrofit source for 150 but if ddm tuning sells the kit for less I might just buy that. I'm just concerned with the quality, this is my dd and I don't want things going out on me.
Well I've had a ddm hid on my car since September. With no problems What so ever. Not one flicker or anything. But I ordered the harness as well. And one of my buddies bought 2 different eBay kits and they all flickered so I told him to use ddm and that solved his problem. My car is my daily driver too and I completely trust ddm hids.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I'll probably order the whole kit from them depending on the price. Do they offer some sort of warranty?
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Looks good brother!

Welcome to the 5050 Club!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I'll probably order the whole kit from them depending on the price. Do they offer some sort of warranty?
im sure they have some kind of warranty
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

just uploaded some vids
Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
You Sir deserve it.... you did a killer job!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
You Sir deserve it.... you did a killer job!
thanks man, not a bad way to spend 7 hours
Old 02-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
erk5000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Looks good!
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
9.8m/s/s

Drives: 2011 Synergy LS
Wow thats a lot of work. wish i had the balls to cut open my headlight, too worried about moisture. How much trouble is wiring or do they just plug back in?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s View Post
Wow thats a lot of work. wish i had the balls to cut open my headlight, too worried about moisture. How much trouble is wiring or do they just plug back in?
Yes the wiring just plugs in to the controller after u extend and run the wires thru your car of course. And re-sealing the headlights is very easy I've done it 4 or 5 times for people . You just use 100% silicone. And you can go way overboard on it and no one will ever see. So no moisture at all.

And I'd there is any moisture just put more silicone around it. Very easy
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Bitchin job man!! It looks amazing. I am in the process of buying everything needed to get this done as well. How hard is the wiring (I'd love to see a picture), and does the remote control work well enough when the control box is stored on the center console? I was thinking of putting my control box either in the engine bay (I'm scared about that the engine heat may destroy it though), or in the center consol.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Bitchin job man!! It looks amazing. I am in the process of buying everything needed to get this done as well. How hard is the wiring (I'd love to see a picture), and does the remote control work well enough when the control box is stored on the center console? I was thinking of putting my control box either in the engine bay (I'm scared about that the engine heat may destroy it though), or in the center consol.
Thank you very much. Wiring was a breeze. the control box takes 6 wires.

1. 12v source
2. ground
3. Red
4. Green
5. Blue
6. Black

And the halos have the Red, Green, Blue, and Black wires on them. I did all the wiring in about 20 min, no problem at all. And, the remote is very weak. I tested the halos and controller box and remote outside of the car before i installed anything and you have to be like 3 feet from the box for the remote to do anything. Im going to call and see if theres anything i can do to extend the range of the remote. Other than that I love it. looks amazing