Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
mcotton

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Wow am I pissed off

Every week I spend quite, relaxing, private time with Eleanor cleaning, wiping, waxing, polishing, ect. Every time I find more and more paint chips, WTF????? Today was the final straw. I had so many paint chips I swear it looked like the paint was from a 20 year old car. I told my wife if I cannot find a class action lawsuit on this issue we need to start one by contacting our lawyer.

I have had many cars and know that paint chips are inevitable but its 600% worse with the Camaro. I am known in my neiborhood for the guy with the cleanist car. Now I do not feel its worth it to detail Eleanor because of all the paint chips.

Thoughts, or comments.....
Old 07-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
I've heard a lot of people complain about this problem, so maybe it is worth looking into. Luckily, I have not had any issues, so far (knock wood).
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Class Action Lawsuit on the grounds of? How will you claim damages in said lawsuit?

Legal action is the last resort when you can't have the issue resolved or mediated in any other form. Think of a lawsuit like a leader thinks about war. War is a last resort when all other options have been exausted.

Have you contacted your dealer about the chips? Have they said they won't be covered under the warranty?

Have you contacted GM about the issue and tried to resolve the issue in any way?

Have you not seen, or read in any of the threads here about using 3M clear bra/tape? Not picking sides here, so please don't think I'm siding w/ GM b/c I sell GM products. I'm just advising you to go through all available channels before you lawyer up.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Get a clear bra, and stop complaining, please.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Drives: A V6. Yes. A LLT.
I have three so far, to my surprise - one big one, but it's my fault for following too close to a car once when I was in a rush, and two on my left door from who knows what. No little ones on the front or gills though, to my surprise. Maybe white hides them well. I figure if they ever get as bad as folks here are saying (I'm at 4,000mi/3 mos), I'll see if they repaint it for me at my dealer, and then clear-bra it and not worry about it again.

But maybe they'll repaint it for you. Ask, who knows.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
My thoughts and comments. Live with it. =D I was only sweating every detail the first week. Right now, I don't really care lol... no need to kill yourself over every little thing.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
mcotton

I have never had a clear bra on any of my cars nor have I had this problem with paint chips. I do not want to spend the money o a clear bra when clearly their is a paint issue. I will be getting with my local dealer to see about getting the issue resolved. I am just shocked at how bad the paint take's a beating with normal driving. Trust me I would not complain if it were not really bad. My buddy was even making a comment about the car the other day and he has over 100,000 on his BMW SUV and not nearly the amount of paint chips. Ughh
Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
mcotton

Has anyone taken their car to the dealer for paint chips and had any luck with getting the issue resolved?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
You must live or drive ofter on a rock road or there's a lot of debris on your roads. Sometimes drivers have a bad habit for following the car in front of them way too close all of the time. There is a constant shower of debris that comes off the back of all car tires. Big trucks are even worse. Back up and leave more distance between you and the car you are behind and that will help. Paint doesn't chip onless it is hit hard with small sharp hard objects. Paint won't chip on it's own. Go and get a small bottle of touch up paint with a small art brush and get to work on those chips and quit your bitchin. My orange paint is doing fine but I don't drive close to the car in front of me but I sure see many driving close on my ass when the road is wide open with no other traffic. Those people deserve to get their paint chipped. Maybe I'll start looking for the small sand/gravel piles in the road and excellerate through the middle of them the next time some ass wants to ride too close. Sorry if I offended but really calm the hell down, get a life and learn to enjoy your car. It's not going to stay new forever unless YOU keep fixing and touching up. It's called MAINTENANCE.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Paint chips are a fact of life. If you're gonna drive it. It's gonna happen. The reason why it happens more is because of the water based paint they are forced to use. It just can't take the beating the older stuff could and when you drive a car that is designed to go fast you will increase the likely hood of chips. I was upset the first time I washed my car and found a few tiny chips, but got over it. It's going to happen. It doesn't change the fact that I love my car.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
mcotton

So I may have been a little rush in my legal statement but am disappointed in the quality of paint. Seems their are allot of others with the same issue. This thread was not to piss anyone off but to see how many others are having this issue and if the dealer has corrected the issue.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
none on mine yet, but I agree with you 100% mcotton, these Camaro's are to new to be all chipped and obviously you take very good care of your Camaro and don't drive on dirt roads.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
none on mine yet, but I agree with you 100% mcotton, these Camaro's are to new to be all chipped and obviously you take very good care of your Camaro and don't drive on dirt roads.
None on my inferno orange yet, wonder if the premium paint is more durable with the extra coat process.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
ramar
2nd Childhood

Drives: Synergy Green
No paint chips on my Synergy Green yet. I live in an area where they spread small gravel on the roads in the winter instead of salt. So paint chips are the norm here. My fix with the Camaro is to drive way behind anyone else on the road.. Now on my Red Avalanche I have a lot of paint chips on the hood. My fault I drive a lot closer to the cars in front of me in the Avalanche.
ramar is offline   Reply With Quote