Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
TekkGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/Sunroof
Question on Installing a Viper 5901 Security System

I would like to upgrade the stock security system with a Viper 5901. A local shop I went to is telling me that in order to have this installed, I will have to lose one of my Keys. Said that the key needs to be "installed" into the car because the remote start needs the digital chip inside the keyfob to be near the car. They claim there is no module out that works for the 2010 Camaro yet to avoid this type of installation. Is this true? Or is the shop I went to just not knowledgeable enough? Is there a module out there that can be used to avoid this loss of a key? The Viper System along with the Installation labor is expensive enough as it is, to then have to go back to my dealer and drop another couple of hundred on a new key, it's just not worth it IMHO.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Hey, I am getting the same story on loosing one of the FOB keys, I have a viper 5901 that i recieved for christmas and was looking to install it. Right now im almost to the point of saying someone buy it off me cause i have a manual transmission and its expensive to get installed.

But what you have said is accurate from what i have been told as well.
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
paperplanes

Drives: SILVER ICE 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
They can install the Viper without the module. I had mine installed at Best Buy without losing the key fob. The only problem is that I have to disarm the alarm, then lock the doors with the key fob, and finally use the key fob to do the remote start. Not a big deal for me to keep from leaving the key fob in the car for would be thieves. On the other hand, after I got the Viper installed, my USB stopped working (about 3 months later). My dealer tried to void my warranty because of the Viper. Still waiting on the part to fix the USB. Has anyone had problems with the USB?
paperplanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
This typical of new cars, alarms. In the past, I've installed keys in module boxes under the dash in similar situations. In time, a module will come out to bypass this, until then you're stuck losing a fob, or doing what the poster above me has stated.

In any case, it'll be a hassle for the first year or so, until the aftermarket can catch up.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
chevyboy81

Drives: 2010 1lt camaro with tapshift
i have a viper 5701 and had to give up a key for the remote start to. i have not had any problems with it and everything runs fine.
chevyboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
strauchpete
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
you dont have to give up a key
idatalink has a module so you wont loose a key.
strauchpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
TekkGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplanes View Post
They can install the Viper without the module. I had mine installed at Best Buy without losing the key fob. The only problem is that I have to disarm the alarm, then lock the doors with the key fob, and finally use the key fob to do the remote start. Not a big deal for me to keep from leaving the key fob in the car for would be thieves. On the other hand, after I got the Viper installed, my USB stopped working (about 3 months later). My dealer tried to void my warranty because of the Viper. Still waiting on the part to fix the USB. Has anyone had problems with the USB?
Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have a simple Viper alarm, not a RemoteStart w/ Alarm, so your situation is completely different. Yeah, you would need to disarm the alarm in order to deactivate the ignition kill switch, then you would use the factory fob to remote start your car as normal. But for the people that want to replace the factory remote start with a viper system, they currently lose 1 Factory KeyFob...so I've come to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauchpete View Post
you dont have to give up a key
idatalink has a module so you wont loose a key.
Well, I checked their website (http://www.idatalink.com), and they claim that you do not need to relinquish a key in order to have it work. Not quite sure which version you would purchase though... I would assume (unless your shop had the accessory to download and program the unit) you would have to buy the (ADS-ALOM CA) OMNI Series version for $126, since that one comes pre-loaded with all the software available at the time of release for all car manufacturers. Otherwise I guess you could save a few bucks with the (ADS-AL CA) Multi Series at $110.

I am not a car electronics person, so my main question is, although this sounds like a proper product, will it interface with the Viper Alarm / RemoteStart system?
Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplanes View Post

For you or anyone having issues with dealers trying to VOID warranty due to aftermarket accessories.

read this:
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
strauchpete
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekkGuy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have a simple Viper alarm, not a RemoteStart w/ Alarm, so your situation is completely different. Yeah, you would need to disarm the alarm in order to deactivate the ignition kill switch, then you would use the factory fob to remote start your car as normal. But for the people that want to replace the factory remote start with a viper system, they currently lose 1 Factory KeyFob...so I've come to understand.

Well, I checked their website (http://www.idatalink.com), and they claim that you do not need to relinquish a key in order to have it work. Not quite sure which version you would purchase though... I would assume (unless your shop had the accessory to download and program the unit) you would have to buy the (ADS-ALOM CA) OMNI Series version for $126, since that one comes pre-loaded with all the software available at the time of release for all car manufacturers. Otherwise I guess you could save a few bucks with the (ADS-AL CA) Multi Series at $110.

I am not a car electronics person, so my main question is, although this sounds like a proper product, will it interface with the Viper Alarm / RemoteStart system?

Personally I have not tried it but if anyone wants to I have programmer for it so I can pre-program it and mail it out.

I am waiting one the directed piece I like the way theres work and since I will be using a 5902 with smartstart I want to keep it all Directed parts.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
strauchpete
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
For you or anyone having issues with dealers trying to VOID warranty due to aftermarket accessories.

read this:
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
Ya I have posted a similar link up on here about the magmoss law for anyone doing aftermarket work.

And if the dealership said the alarm messed up the USB tell them to show you where the alarm is connected to the USB and how it directly effected it. If they cant then they have to fix it under warranty.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
I have the Viper and needed to give up a Key.
There are companies out there working on the Firm ware but were origonialy given bad info on the Ignition modual.
I went to dealer and picked up a 3rd key and had them (all 3 setup) cost about 120 for key and service. Also had the computer updated & 1st free oil change.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
bigbdbenny

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have a Viper 5902 installed. Last fall, my radio display went blank, but audio (sound) still worked, ALSO HVAC controls went dead. Naturally, the dealerr blames the Viper for sending a voltage spike, which the alarm installer says BS. The dealer was able to correct the problem by clearing error codes via a dignostic. Now that the car is out of storage, ,the same problem has occured again, which the dealer says they may charge to correct the problem again.

HAS ANYONEE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM ?
bigbdbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
strauchpete
Account Suspended

It would not be the Viper 5902, all that it does it work the same way that your key does it takes input voltage and then via internal relays does output voltage.

BUT the installation is another question. Do you know what module they used on your car? Because the one that I have seen directly connects to the BCM and if they got a wire color or pin wrong it would very easily cause problems like that or anything else.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
TekkGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauchpete View Post
Personally I have not tried it but if anyone wants to I have programmer for it so I can pre-program it and mail it out.

I am waiting one the directed piece I like the way theres work and since I will be using a 5902 with smartstart I want to keep it all Directed parts.
Do you know if DEI will actually be coming out with such a type of bypass? They claim to have a Bypass already, but it's one that needs a KeyFOB. I'm wondering if this is as far as DEI is going to take it...or if they are indeed trying to create a Bypass that doesn't take a KeyFOB away from the user.