Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #323
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Freeman, I would like to direct message you about the issue you are having. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Thank you Jeff! I was going to PM you yesterday to draw your attention to this thread, glad you found it.

Please keep this thread updated with any help you can give us.

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #324
cshannon

Drives: 2010 Cyber gray V6 2Lt Loaded
I have noticed that when the weather is cold, I do not hear the sound.

I took my car to dealer because it sounded like something was hitting together when I hit a bump. This was in late summer. The dealership wanted me to scheduled an appointment so that a tech could ride along.

The weather changed and it got cold. I did not hear the sound anymore and did not scheduled the appointment because I thought the problem was gone. As soon as the weather warmed up, it starting happening again.

I am not a mechanic but I wonder what effect temperature has on suspension system.
cshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #325
lgndlt5

Drives: 2010 1lt
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcamaro View Post
Freeman: Agreed - we need ALL need to complete the form if we want this issue resolved. Here is the link again:

All - please take the time to fill out the SafeCar.gov online complaint form. This is very important and will allow the government to investigate the issue.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
Just went to the site to add mine and ONLY 3 complaints have been filed!!!! WTF?
You all should take a few minutes to add your concerns so this does not just get pushed aside!
lgndlt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #326
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
pnyklr, I will hopefully have something in the near future. When I do have something to give you I will do so at the earliest possible time.

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #327
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
I took my 2010 Camaro 1SS into the service department on 08/19/2010 regarding this issue (and my L99 oil pan leak and rear axle clicking noises).

I wanted them to follow this TSB:

PIE0054A: EI10035-Engineering Information-Front Suspension Noise, Clunk Popping, Rattle - (Mar 29, 2010)

That TSB has the service department gather more info for an investigation into this issue, but instead they decided the almost one year older TSB that instructs them to replace the strut mounts was the proper course of action:

#PIC5177: Snap Or Pop Noise From The Front Suspension When Turning - (Jun 4, 2009)

They replaced both strut mounts, and you guessed it, it didn't make a darn bit of difference. I was also told "they all do it, so it must be normal" statement as well. I decided to wait to see if there is a "real" resolution before I try to get the service department to do anything more, because in their opinion it's fixed/normal.

My 2010 Camaro has done this from day one and with replaced strut mounts it still does it. It's extremely annoying to listen to as you drive the car. Passengers in my Camaro will ask what that "thumping noise is" and all I can say is "GM believes it's normal to have a front suspension make thumping/clunking noises as you drive".

I've driven many cars in my life and this is the ONLY one to have this kind of suspension noise.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #328
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I still need to get those front struts replaced with aftermarket, but I bet a million bucks once I do, it'll go away.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #329
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I just put the Pfadt sways and springs in my car. After I had the pop in the front. Got under the car and checked again and the sway bar was loose. Not greatly, but loose enough that it popped when I went around a turn or over a bump. I was panicking, but once I found the loose bracket and tightened it I haven't had a problem yet.

Now, I haven't followed this thread, and this may have been a troubleshooting tip already, but thought I would throw it out there.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #330
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
cshannon, I could escalate your question to our Technical Assistance team to see if they would know if the temperature would affect whether or not you would hear this noise from the vehicle. Just direct message me your name and vin and I would be happy to forward this for you.

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #331
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
cshannon, I could escalate your question to our Technical Assistance team to see if they would know if the temperature would affect whether or not you would hear this noise from the vehicle. Just direct message me your name and vin and I would be happy to forward this for you.

I'm not going to try to diagnose his issue as it could be different.

But if I respectfully may, the popping coming from the front right (on mine and many others) happens in both hot and cold. It mainly happens during chassis flex....ie: speed bumps, going up inclines, turning into parking lots, etc. I was told it was in the strut itself. If you try several things and it does not work, try a new aftermarket strut and please let us know if anything happens.

Thank you.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #332
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Well I just bought mine last Thursday, 2011 1-SS/rs and it has a front end noise. I have 416 miles on it. I really don't like this noise. I work at a Honda dealership and some of our accords have had this same noise, the fix on the hondas was to replace the complete strut assy. If this isn't fixable, I may request they take this car back. Has anyone found a fix yet, because I sure don't want to be stuck with this!
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #333
pnyklr

I just spent the last hour going through this whole thread and summarized those people that have had this problem resolved. I am going to break it up into 2 posts.

-Funk
Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #334
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Look forward to it.

Sounds to me like loose sways on some and struts on others. Good summary?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #335
pnyklr

rolnslo

“I took my Camaro in for various things and one was a random clunking sound that I occasionally heard when I went over speed bumps in the parking garage at work. The sound was more likely to happen when I was going 10-15 mph and turning right while going over a speed bump and the passenger tire was the first to hit.

Anyhow, the tech that checked it out said it was caused by spring insulators (bushings?) not sitting properly (both driver/passenger). They reseated the insulators and lubed the contact points. Guess I'll find out in the morning when I get to work if this resolved the issue or not.”
“I still heard a slight clunk this morning on the speed bump where it usually happens but it was nowhere near as loud as it used to be. If it gets loud again, I'll bring it back in to have it checked out again.”

Jarhead

“I had the same problem. It turned out to be the sway bar mounting bolts were not tightened down. They had loctite on them too. Dealer re-torqued all the front end bolts and attaching points, All was fine after that.”

Sevn86

“Just got back from the dealer and guess what the noise is gone!!! they replaced the strut mounts and said that there was debris in both the front struts...but i dont get how that got there since ive never driven the car anywhere except on a paved road...well i guess it doesnt matter anymore since that took care of the problem...”

SilverIce1 (Post 83)

“I had mine in yesterday for this same issue. They found sand in the bearing and replaced it. I still have the noise. Can you provide an exact list of parts and description from your receipt so i can make my dealer do the same repair?”

SilverIce1 (Post 90)

“Well, mine is fixed! I am riding quiet again.

While there is a design flaw in the bearing that allows dirt to get in, that was not my problem yet. It would have been someday when the dirt ruined the bearing so i am glad my error produced this repair.

The real problem was that one of the mounting bolts for my front sway bar had backed out. I tightened it up and now all is well.”

Mike @ Pedders (Post 99)

“We have verified some concerns on the upper spring mounts for the front, but cannot go into this. But that is really it. We have checked hundreds of Camaros.

We have also verified noises related to the upper strut washer contacting the sheet metal when the upper mount begins to fatigue. I made a writeup on this and how to repair it. It is on this forum somewhere.”

Mike @ Pedders (Post 118)

He is responding to the PI number PIE0054A
“this preliminary info is GM's attempt to try and gather data on the concern. It is a great way for GM to get info. Basically if there is a noise issue, the tech is responsible to first call 1 of 2 GM engineers. Apparantly a lot of struts, and strut bushings have been replaced for this, and sent back for anaylsis, and they are not seeing a problems with the returned parts.

So with this PI, the concern has definately gotten the attention of GM. So this is a really positive thing.”

PfadtRacing

This came from a thread located here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79323. The PN for the new isolator is: 20859337
It has surfaced recently that there has been an upper spring isolator change for the Camaro, by General Motors. Quite frankly, we didn't see this as a big deal when we heard about it, hence why we never addressed it on the forums like other manufacturers have. We thought everyone had done enough engineering development to have this not be an issue. We just want to let everyone know, that our Pfadt Drop Springs, Coilovers, whatever...has no problem fitting with this recent spring isolator change from GM. Other companies are scampering to get some product revision to the market that accommodates this new part from GM. This means you will need to let them know what year car you have, take off your wheel and see what color isolator you have...makes NO difference to us at all! We just want to know if you have a Camaro!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #336
pnyklr

Pnyklr (post 139)

I asked the guys at Pfadt if this new upper spring isolator would solve the clunk problem and here is his response.
"Thats an excellent question. Thank you for pointing me to that thread. This could very well be the reason for the change! I can't confirm for sure, as we can't verify any noise difference between the old and new parts on a stock setup anymore due to our car being heavily modified with our own products on it. If you are looking for a solution to clunking on your front end, it may be a good idea to call your local dealer and get the new parts. The part number that was sent to us 20859337. Not sure as to the cost. BUT with that said, the dealer also informed us that the spring changed, presumably to the OEM Buick Lacrosse spring (just a hunch). So, depending on what springs you have, they may/may not fit to begin with. If you have our springs, they WILL fit for sure. "

Don O (Post 168)

“I would have sworn my sounds were coming from the rf suspension. Removed the tunnel brace and all noises disappeared. The exhaust was hitting it. Loosened all the exhaust clamps (aftermarket exhaust), raised the exhaust, retorqued the clamps and installed the Elite Engineering tunnel brace. No more noises.”

ex-SS-ve (Post 176)

“had the same rf strut "pop", however it didnt come in till i had the eibach springs installed. i just delt with it. finally i pulled a wheel off and checked everything and found it to be a incorrectly clocked spring. yes if the spring is installed on the strut assembly incorrectly it will rub and hit the inner spring retainer causing a pop that obvoiusly sounds like crap. reclocked the spring and the "pop" is gone!”

edog (Post 184)

“This noise is not supposed to be there. My dealership resolved my issue after three attempts.

I had the sound turning left from a stop. after numerous attempts to fix it, the GM engineers told the dealership the struts, and the whole strut assembly needed to be replaced. Afterwards, I have been clunk free for three months. “

Mike @ Pedders (Post 190)

“GM has PIE0054A out there since March 29, 2010. This is a info sheet to the dealers telling them to contact them when they have a clunk, pop, or rattle in the front end that is not obvious. So GM is still working on a cause and fix.”

Angelicsowner (Post 212)

“I took mine in today and he told me my front passenger control arm was loose. Good thing it didnt fall off when driving "spiritedly" up the mountain...

After tightening it up and a re-alignment, no more kerchunk-a-chunk when I go over a manhole or bumpy road!”

Daddyo01545 (Post 228)

“I just did a suspension upgrade on my 2010 ss/rs and found the same sound and corrected it. First, open the hood and on both sides remove the plastic nut at the top of the strut and with a tork socket and a 24mm wrench undo the top nut and then you will find a nut below that needs to be checked to ensure it is tight. I found them loose after a few days from the initial tork outside the car. Ensure the car is under full weight.

After that and putting all back together. Next check the springs that they are properly seated in the strut housing. Ensure the rubber seats are between the springs and the housing at the top and bottom of the spring.

If all is in order, finally, check to ensure that the front sway bar is properly positioned and all bolts are tight.”

Capers (Post 255)

After installing the front sway bar it ripped off the frame after hitting a bump. It ripped the front stud on the swaybar cap right out of the frame. I ground it flat and welded a new stud in and put it all back together and guess what. NO POPPING noise from the front end. That stud must have been loose from day one and the sway bar was bouncing up and down just enough to hear it through the subframe. The car is now dead quiet on uneven roads and it feels so much tighter now. Everyone with this noise check the swaybar studs for being loose in the frame. I could not believe this happened to a new car but that noise has been with me since day one and now I am sop happy to have it gone. Check it out people and let me know if anyone else has this problem.
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center: 1-800-222-1020
GM Executive Center Detroit: 313-667-7153

Everyone with this issue should call and open a case AND then call the Executive Center to let them know this is a real issue.

Jtcamaro (Post 310)

“I just completed the test drive of my car after the dealer replaced the strut mounts and the car now drives like new and steering even seems much tighter. When I looked at the old strut mounts the bearings seemed worn with a lot of dirt lodged in it and it was definitely not smooth when turining it, there was a lot of friction and also had some play in it as well, it was definitely not tight. The true test will be to see if it stays like this or if the problem reoccurs over time.

GM Exec Center actually called while I was at the dealer so I need to follow up with them to let them know this seemed to correct the problem. Hopefully this will result in an updated TSB instead of the previous one that said this noise was a normal condition.

As for the 2011 Camaro's, they gave me a 2011 LTS to use as a loaner and I can tell you first hand that they have the same problem. If anything it felt worse to me.

I am not sure if this will correct all of these clunking issues but this is definitley good news and seemed ot have corrected my issue!!!”

Bluedevil02 (post 315)

“Well took it in and turns out eibach sway nut was loose n dealer fixed it for free so no more clunk”

Jtcamaro (Post 322)
If anyone needs to reference my case number here it is: 71-892118569

Garcmol (Post 339)

“I just put the Pfadt sways and springs in my car. After I had the pop in the front. Got under the car and checked again and the sway bar was loose. Not greatly, but loose enough that it popped when I went around a turn or over a bump. I was panicking, but once I found the loose bracket and tightened it I haven't had a problem yet.”

These actions resolved all noise even over bad potholes.