Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
I dont wanna mess with it but i dont want to have to buy top tier headers to have them installed by reputable shops :/
One chap had Mr Muffler slam the header on real cheap, another Bloke had Muffler Man throw-on the header for just a couple of bucks, one stripped a couple of header bolts, the other somehow cracked both collectors at the welds (he thinks the headers fell off from the lift during installation), you pick?

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
I dont wanna mess with it but i dont want to have to buy top tier headers to have them installed by reputable shops :/
damn those reputable shops for only wanting to work with quality parts damn them!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
One chap had Mr Muffler slam the header on real cheap, another Bloke had Muffler Man throw-on the header for just a couple of bucks, one stripped a couple of header bolts, the other somehow cracked both collectors at the welds (he thinks the headers fell off from the lift during installation), you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
damn those reputable shops for only wanting to work with quality parts damn them!!!!!!!!
There are extremes on both ends. I've had a very reputable shop around here quote me $2,000 for an engine swap in my 03 Mustang GT in. They had been featured in magazines and such. Their name is Crazy Horse in South Amboy. Guess what? They did the most horrible and unprofessional job I had ever seen. It took them over 2 months. Parts were missing. I had 2 MAF sensors I left with them that I never seen again. The exhaust wasn't hooked up. Sensors were left disconnected. I even had to go back in the shop to find parts that weren't on my car. Years later, a small shop quoted me $900 to do an engine swap in the same car. They were the local All Tune and Lube. They did it in less than a week and did a spectacular job. I mean, they even cleaned the engine compartment. Not one issue or problem with their work ever since then. Trust me, it isn't always about being reputable.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
There are extremes on both ends. I've had a very reputable shop around here quote me $2,000 for an engine swap in my 03 Mustang GT in. They had been featured in magazines and such. Their name is Crazy Horse in South Amboy. Guess what? They did the most horrible and unprofessional job I had ever seen. It took them over 2 months. Parts were missing. I had 2 MAF sensors I left with them that I never seen again. The exhaust wasn't hooked up. Sensors were left disconnected. I even had to go back in the shop to find parts that weren't on my car. Years later, a small shop quoted me $900 to do an engine swap in the same car. They were the local All Tune and Lube. They did it in less than a week and did a spectacular job. I mean, they even cleaned the engine compartment. Not one issue or problem with their work ever since then. Trust me, it isn't always about being reputable.
you mean the guys that did pimp my ride dont do good with mechanical stuff?

if people think being on tv, a magazine or a internet forum means reputable they are doing it wrong
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Garret

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Victory Red
Well it would seem that only 1300 dollar steel is quality when I'm sure over half of the headers people have put on are not ARH kooks or SW and I don't think tsp are bad but the only way I can do those is if I install myself and I'm not too comfortable with that and I've asked like 4 shops and they will only do ARH might have Togo with ARH but dunno why all these shops won't go with other brands and will charge 500 to slip these premium headers on since they are such a good fit and all....
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
SPCBA

Quote:
Well it would seem that only 1300 dollar steel is quality when I'm sure over half of the headers people have put on are not ARH kooks or SW and I don't think tsp are bad but the only way I can do those is if I install myself and I'm not too comfortable with that and I've asked like 4 shops and they will only do ARH might have Togo with ARH but dunno why all these shops won't go with other brands and will charge 500 to slip these premium headers on since they are such a good fit and all....
where are you seeing arh for 1300? you can shop and find better deals.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
you mean the guys that did pimp my ride dont do good with mechanical stuff?

if people think being on tv, a magazine or a internet forum means reputable they are doing it wrong
Quote:
where are you seeing arh for 1300? you can shop and find better deals.
OMG your azz made me spit out my drink of water!!!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Bro. If you don't want to do it yourself. Buy your headers online and just pay a reputable shop to install them. Install price is anywhere from say $250-$300 Then get it tuned however you want or don't for that matter. Up to you.

Just because a shop may only carry ARH doesn't mean they won't install your SW, TSP, KOOKS set up. To top it off your in TX. Pretty sure there are about eleventy billion LSX shops around you within decent driving distance.

Last resort. Post up in the TX forum and offer beer and pizza for wrench turning gear heads in your area to come over and lend a hand. Might make some new friends and have a good time as well.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #23
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Bro. If you don't want to do it yourself. Buy your headers online and just pay a reputable shop to install them. Install price is anywhere from say $250-$300 Then get it tuned however you want or don't for that matter. Up to you.

Just because a shop may only carry ARH doesn't mean they won't install your SW, TSP, KOOKS set up. To top it off your in TX. Pretty sure there are about eleventy billion LSX shops around you within decent driving distance.

Last resort. Post up in the TX forum and offer beer and pizza for wrench turning gear heads in your area to come over and lend a hand. Might make some new friends and have a good time as well.
If you have enough time and patience, you can probably find a good deal on here from another forum member. I did the install myself last year, the most difficult part was disconnecting the steering column. ARH are more expensive because they can be. I asked them about it and they said, "We're on the COPO Camaro". It's really not a difficult task. Like it was said before, make a few friends and bribe someone with food, drinks, and something naked. Maybe not yourself, but something more attractive. I'd offer my help if I was closer.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
Dupontdon24

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
what header costs 2k?
I should have said exspensive header or lower cost header. Figured I would get the point across on why did it matter on the cost.
Dupontdon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post

mr dave gave the best advice...especially the last part. i would help you if you were local
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #26
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Have you told them you don't want ARH's? They must have more business than they can handle if they are willing to let an easy $300-500 for 2hrs work walk out the door. Stand up and tell they them they'll install what you want or you'll go someone else.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #27
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
I think local muffler shop will put them on for you no matter the brand if they know what theyre doing header install is not a big challenge even if the fit is nit that great. That being said they might charge you a bit more if they have to wrestle them in due to fit issues
Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #28
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
If your not getting a custom dyno tune and just going with a hand held tune from JRE I see no reason why you should'nt install them your self. Only benefit with this car of having a shop doing the install would be because of a custom dyno tune at the same time. Even then I dont think it would hurt to do the install your self then drive a short distace for a dyno tune. Plus there are deals to be had on high quality headers. I got my Kooks 1 7/8 with high flow cats PLUS the Jet Hot ceramic coating for 1200 dollars. Probably could have got them for under 1k non coated but I like how 3yrs later they still look brand new. Now if this was the new 5.0 Mustang I would say yeah for sure have a proffesional install done but with this car even a novice wrencher can probably do it with basic tools .