Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #43
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I've considered a hitch for mine purely for a bike rack since I do not like roof or trunk mount racks. I'll have to see one installed before I decide on that though.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #44
Iggy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/white stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
Keep in mind you will pay sales tax when you title it in FL, and you will not be covered under the lemon law. Trust me, I've bought 2 brand new vehicles out of state and then came here, never again unless I get a really super insane deal.

Other than the move, why would you buy a F150? It just sounds to me like you are buying a truck just for the move, which is not a good reason to do so.

Also, the amount of money you've put into your jeep is what is called a "sunk cost". Basically, that money is gone and has no bearing on the value of the jeep. Base your decisions on the present and future, not the past.

Even if the op buys the new car in FL, he does not have to title it there. Being Active Duty, he can title the car in his Home of Record. It is more work, but it can be done. My wife and I have purchased 4 vehicles in VA and have not titled any of them here. Our HOR is ND and their is no sales tax that has to be paid for Active Duty military.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #45
Senojelyk

Drives: '95 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
Keep in mind you will pay sales tax when you title it in FL, and you will not be covered under the lemon law. Trust me, I've bought 2 brand new vehicles out of state and then came here, never again unless I get a really super insane deal.

Other than the move, why would you buy a F150? It just sounds to me like you are buying a truck just for the move, which is not a good reason to do so.

Also, the amount of money you've put into your jeep is what is called a "sunk cost". Basically, that money is gone and has no bearing on the value of the jeep. Base your decisions on the present and future, not the past.
Yes those are sunk costs.. however to me the value of the Jeep is way over the 5k KBB value. Right now do I need the Jeep? No.. but when I leave FL (depending on my assignment) I could really use a Jeep to have some fun. 5k won't get me what I have now, an Engine that has 25k miles a tranny with about 50k plus I know my vehicle in and out. Eventually the thing will start gaining value if I keep it in good condition. Out here in AZ I've seen old '80s Jeeps going for upwards of 10k in good condition.

The reason for the F150 or any other truck (kinda like Dodge honestly).. would not only be fore the move (which after some posts seems irrelevant.. renting looks better). But I will use a truck in time, and I can get one with 0% apr.. I'd need to do more research to see if it was worth it and whatnot, but right now it was just an option. I still have 2.5 months before I have to actually move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Even if the op buys the new car in FL, he does not have to title it there. Being Active Duty, he can title the car in his Home of Record. It is more work, but it can be done. My wife and I have purchased 4 vehicles in VA and have not titled any of them here. Our HOR is ND and their is no sales tax that has to be paid for Active Duty military.

I don't have to.. but im changing my HOR to FL since Arizona has income tax and FL doesnt.. so that kinda negates that.

One day I will own a Camaro... One day.
Senojelyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #46
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I've considered a hitch for mine purely for a bike rack since I do not like roof or trunk mount racks. I'll have to see one installed before I decide on that though.
Not the greatest of pics for this, but this is the U-Haul hitch with the ball mount taken off. (I only keep it on when actually towing) You can barely see it especially with a black receiver cover.

Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  49.3 KB
Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #47
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
If you have that little to take you could get a small low profile trailer, you'll be fine. I pull a 3 person jet ski behind mine

On the other hand it sounds like your plan is to sell the wrangler and buy a car when you move? Is this correct?

If so you are probably better of renting a small SUV for the move and buying a car when you get to FL. Driving form Arizona to Florida is what 2k miles? maybe more? That's hit the value of your car by several hundred $$$ so might as well just do it on a one way rental.
i would buy it in florida so you dont get hit with the impact fee of tagging an out of state car. your better off buying it here imo
Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #48
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
you might be a redneck if....
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #49
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Convertible View Post
Leave the Jeep at your parents house.
Rent a small truck or minivan, pack it and drive your stuff to Florida.
Buy your new Camaro once you arrive in Florida.
End of story, no complications.
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #50
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
I'd test drive a Silverado and a Camaro to compare and decide what you like more...

I just bought my wife a new Silverado LTZ and the ride is very nice, has more features than my 2SS/RS Camaro, and is very sharp blacked out like my Camaro is....

If I didn't buy the Camaro I might have considered one for myself...lucky for me I get the best of both worlds...
Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #51
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I installed a hidden hitch for my bike rack (not trailers).. It looks OK and works great for getting bikes to where I need.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #52
TonyCigar
Anthony Cascio

Drives: White 2SS/RS, orange stripe & seats
Send a message via AIM to TonyCigar
Curt Manufacturing Makes a Hitch for Camaros

I installed it on my 2010 2SS.
Attached Images

TonyCigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #53
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
I felt compelled to dispel some ignorance on towing with a car, and with a Camaro particularly. First of all, have you ever seen an s10, ranger, jeep, small Nissan or toyota truck pull a trailer? What makes it ok for any of these vehicles to tow? Are their drive train parts made out of some special metal that they omitted from cars? Is 4000lbs total weight of a Camaro vs 4000lbs of total weight from an s10 must surely be different right? I mean the skinny tires and anemic brakes of the s10 are surely better than brembo brakes and wide pirellis that the SS has. Yea, a 700r4 is alot stronger for towing than the 6spd auto that the camaro has now too. And Im pretty sure that a 4.3l v6 has more torque and towing power than the wimpy 6.2l engine in the Camaro. Really people? Just because the Camaro doesn't have a bed on it doesn't mean it can't pull crap or that you shouldn't. Yes you should give yourself extra room to stop....cause we all know the brembos on the camaro are so weak. This kind of garbage annoys me. It's perception, not logic that most people base their ignorant comments on. Just because it's not the norm that people see, they instantly say "no, do do that!" or "it's just not right"! Why? Why I ask? Its just silliness if you ask me. A Camaro SS can haul alot more than you think safely.
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #54
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Btw, I have towed with the following cars:
03 honda civic coupe....a 4x8 trailer and an atv on it
06 honda civic coupe same as above
07 civic si 4dr same as above and a 4x11 trailer with 2 atv's
And a Honda ridgeline (an accord with a bed) that I've pulled all kinds of crap with. Never had a problem with any vehicle. Never had a brake failure, wreck, drivetrain failure. The only thing I had was slot more mpg's than any other truck.
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #55
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
You have some good points, but, and I may be wrong, those vehicles have body on frame rather than unibody construction which is much stronger and safer for towing
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #56
mrh923

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/M6 Cyber Gray Met.
LOL good luck on the move! Active in Florida? You coming to Hurlburt Field!?