Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
mowbr4

Drives: 2006 STI
Import to Muscle: My thoughts

I started getting into American/Muscle cars in 2004 when I was first beginning to drive (Please no age references). I then got my Mach 1 which was an amazing beast and sounded so great in stock form, it pulled like a champ and gave me everything I wanted. But with the sudden increase in gas prices I decided to get rid of it and go towards a "sporty" import and get a 350z hoping to still have style with decent gas mileage. It was a great car, did great handling but not the same sound as an American car had. After the 350z I began to miss the muscle look more and more and then decided to go after a 5.7 GTO. It had everything I ever wanted especially with the interior which I thought they did very well. I put an exhaust on it and it roared like a lion. It sounded so great everytime I would shift and begin to get into it. Sadly, I lost my job and began getting deep into college so I had to sell it. Finally I got a great internship and was able to go buy my current car which is a 2006 STI. I have a lot done to it, a tune, turboback, intake, and much more. I have never been inside of an import that was so fast everytime I would hit the gas. It is an amazing car, but I am still missing something. I have been researching and learning about the 2010 Camaro for a long time now. Once the pricing was released and you were able to order, I had too. I placed my order on an Inferno Orange 2SS/RS. I can't wait for my car to be produced and go to the dealer to pick it up.

I am going to be sad to sell my STI, but will be even more happy to be back in the American/Muscle scene. I am hoping the camaro will give me the sound, and the power which I am sure it will. I won't compare it to my STI because they are two completely different cars. One is AWD, the other is RWD...I am sure my STI will beat it, but is that the reason I am getting the camaro? No...I am getting the Camaro because it is an American Legacy and will be proud to drive on, can't wait to see you fellow drivers out on the road!

Thank you for listening to me rant
mowbr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
How have you had so many nice cars in such a short time? I can't imagine being able to compare a Mach 1 with a GTO or STi in such a short timeline. I started out with an Altima and now I have an Impreza TS.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
How have you had so many nice cars in such a short time? I can't imagine being able to compare a Mach 1 with a GTO or STi in such a short timeline. I started out with an Altima and now I have an Impreza TS.
people can horse trade alot of cars in a short amount of time....
Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
mowbr4

Yeah I traded a lot. I lost a lot of money after taxes and all I am sure. But thats what happens, you learn.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't mean any disrespect. Don't get me wrong. I'm actually really impressed with the cars you've driven. They must give you a lot of exposure to autos as a whole.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
EZ28

Drives: Hopefully a Camaro soon! ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbr4 View Post
I started getting into American/Muscle cars in 2004 when I was first beginning to drive (Please no age references). I then got my Mach 1 which was an amazing beast and sounded so great in stock form, it pulled like a champ and gave me everything I wanted. But with the sudden increase in gas prices I decided to get rid of it and go towards a "sporty" import and get a 350z hoping to still have style with decent gas mileage. It was a great car, did great handling but not the same sound as an American car had. After the 350z I began to miss the muscle look more and more and then decided to go after a 5.7 GTO. It had everything I ever wanted especially with the interior which I thought they did very well. I put an exhaust on it and it roared like a lion. It sounded so great everytime I would shift and begin to get into it. Sadly, I lost my job and began getting deep into college so I had to sell it. Finally I got a great internship and was able to go buy my current car which is a 2006 STI. I have a lot done to it, a tune, turboback, intake, and much more. I have never been inside of an import that was so fast everytime I would hit the gas. It is an amazing car, but I am still missing something. I have been researching and learning about the 2010 Camaro for a long time now. Once the pricing was released and you were able to order, I had too. I placed my order on an Inferno Orange 2SS/RS. I can't wait for my car to be produced and go to the dealer to pick it up.

I am going to be sad to sell my STI, but will be even more happy to be back in the American/Muscle scene. I am hoping the camaro will give me the sound, and the power which I am sure it will. I won't compare it to my STI because they are two completely different cars. One is AWD, the other is RWD...I am sure my STI will beat it, but is that the reason I am getting the camaro? No...I am getting the Camaro because it is an American Legacy and will be proud to drive on, can't wait to see you fellow drivers out on the road!

Thank you for listening to me rant
I wouldn't compare the two either, but on a drag strip with a stock SS versus a stock '06 STI, I think the Camaro would win with the right driver. The STI 0-60 is 5.4 seconds. Can you beat 5.4 seconds 0-60? The Camaro LS3 422HP V8 0-60 is 4.7 seconds. 1/4 mile for the STI is 13.6 vs 13.4 for the Camaro. Until we see the real numbers from the Camaro next year, we still won't know, but I think the Camaro is faster comparing stock for stock against the 2006 STI. I'm not sure how fast the new STIs are.

Anyway, I support your decision to switch over to Chevy and American Muscle again.
EZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
mowbr4

oh no man, didnt take any disrespect at all. Yeah I did gain a lot of exposure to them but so far my favorite car has been the GTO. Just can't get away from the sound of an American Car with headers and an exhaust, its heaven
Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
EZ28

Drives: Hopefully a Camaro soon! ;-)
My first muscle car was a 1998 Blue Green Chameleon Firebird Formula. It had the LS1 V8 and T-tops. It was a bad ass car for the time because Pontiac redesigned the body style and color looked awesome. I almost bought the new GTO, but I decided not to. I'm glad I didn't because the wait for the new Camaro is going to be so worth it. I wish I could order now like you, but I have to wait until late next year or early 2010.
EZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
I like all cars, and I think you are very fortunate to have owned all of those.

I like imports as well as muscle, but I definitely like muscle more!
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
mowbr4

Yeah imports defintiley do have some nice looking cars. Before purchasing/ordering the Camaro I was deeply considering the 135i.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbr4 View Post
Yeah imports defintiley do have some nice looking cars. Before purchasing/ordering the Camaro I was deeply considering the 135i.
That car is sweet. Definitely a worthy consideration.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
I have to disagree with you on this one. I highly doubt an STI will beat a Camaro SS, except from a stop with AWD but once you are moving you'll soon forget the 2.5 T 4-cylinder when you have a 6.2L V8, although you did say you had some work done, so maybe yours could but stock for stock no way. A STI tops out at 145 mph (electronically limited), I would bet anything the SS will top out at the least 160 mph. I've driven my friends STI, and don't get me wrong they are great cars, but they are not sports cars. They just don't hit soon enough for my taste.

I to have owned many cars since I strarted driving a Porshe Cayman / 911, and a Vette, so I have switched around with cars too. And the reasons I'm giving up a Vette for the Camaro, which people think I'm crazy, is for two reasons

1. The archaic suspension, yes it is independent but leaf springs suck, the Camaro has coil over springs like a Porsche.

2. I'm getting married and will be having kids shortly after. Yes, I have a truck but I want to have a car I can bring my kids and wife in when the kids get older.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post

2. I'm getting married and will be having kids shortly after. Yes, I have a truck but I want to have a car I can bring my kids and wife in when the kids get older.
thats awesome, doing it for the kids
opposes one of my reasons for getting one: im getting it so i dont have to ride everyone around!

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
mowbr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ28 View Post
I wouldn't compare the two either, but on a drag strip with a stock SS versus a stock '06 STI, I think the Camaro would win with the right driver. The STI 0-60 is 5.4 seconds. Can you beat 5.4 seconds 0-60? The Camaro LS3 422HP V8 0-60 is 4.7 seconds. 1/4 mile for the STI is 13.6 vs 13.4 for the Camaro. Until we see the real numbers from the Camaro next year, we still won't know, but I think the Camaro is faster comparing stock for stock against the 2006 STI. I'm not sure how fast the new STIs are.

Anyway, I support your decision to switch over to Chevy and American Muscle again.
I am not saying the Camaro won't beat the STI, but the 2006 STI does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds i am almost positive.