Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
jjjaroscak

Drives: Cyber Gray 2011 2LT Camaro
Low drone exhaust suggestions

Hey everybody,

So I'm in the market for an exhaust and have been getting overwhelmed doing research on my own. I definitely want to go with a cat back exhaust system. I don't want anything too loud and as the title implies I'm very nervous about drone. I live out in the middle of no where so I often drive over an hour and a half away to get to a larger city, and I also make 7 hour drives down to Phoenix to see family a few times a year. This videos I've seen showing off "no drone" have been at like 45 mph, so I'm worried at cruising at like 75 mph (in a manual).

I'm also contemplating the idea of headers, and since I now live in California I know I can't have long tube headers, but I'm not 100% sure on what other restrictions there are here when it comes to exhaust.

Thanks!
jjjaroscak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Dynomax I've heard it has little to no drone
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I would highly recommend Solo Performance. They offer a nice deep exhaust note with no drone what so ever!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
jjjaroscak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
Dynomax I've heard it has little to no drone
I want to go with a CAT back system vs an axle back system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
I would highly recommend Solo Performance. They offer a nice deep exhaust note with no drone what so ever!
Does the SOLO system itself have no drone or do you need the high flow CATs and stuff to make it have no drone?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Corsa: ultra low drone
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
slicktempo

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Corsa +1. Also, you might want to add some sound deadening to your trunk floor and rear seat floor. 7 hour drives are no fun after 3 hours of cabin resonance, lol.
slicktempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
I had Flowmasters and had a wicked drone at about 35 - 40 mph. I switched to Magnaflows, and love them, free flowing and no drone.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
From what you explained Corsa is exactly what you need. For just a catback system it's not loud at all and you will get zero drone. Once you start modding and add headers then Corsa really wakes up but for just catback it would be perfect for you with no worries about drone.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
jjjaroscak

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Corsa: ultra low drone
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktempo View Post
Corsa +1. Also, you might want to add some sound deadening to your trunk floor and rear seat floor. 7 hour drives are no fun after 3 hours of cabin resonance, lol.
What do you mean by cabin resonance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
From what you explained Corsa is exactly what you need. For just a catback system it's not loud at all and you will get zero drone. Once you start modding and add headers then Corsa really wakes up but for just catback it would be perfect for you with no worries about drone.
So once I add headers is there a possibility of drone? How much louder does it get with shorties? Some of the videos I've listened to have sounded pretty loud, but I realize that could just be the audio quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterball View Post
I had Flowmasters and had a wicked drone at about 35 - 40 mph. I switched to Magnaflows, and love them, free flowing and no drone.
Doing some research it looks like some people are getting drone with the cat back systems, haven't looked into the custom magnaflow builds but not sure if that's a route I want to go.

Current interests:
SOLO - those J pipes are just weird
Corsa - varying video qualities have me unsure about sound
ARK -haven't read reviews about drone yet
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Go Solo it is quiet when you drive normally and loud at WOT. It has no drone. I have had mine since February and have taken several road trips for 3 hrs at highway speed and I love it. I have no issues hearing the radio or having a conversation with my wife. Here is a link to a video so you can hear for yourself. The in cabin audio was at around 40 MPH not 70 but its not much louder than the video at highway speed.

Listen with headphones for the best sound. Mine is the IOM one in the video.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...v6+convertible
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjaroscak View Post
So once I add headers is there a possibility of drone? How much louder does it get with shorties? Some of the videos I've listened to have sounded pretty loud, but I realize that could just be the audio quality.
With Corsa you will NEVER get drone. I've had it on two L99s and had headers with one of the nastiest cams out there and I could not make it drone. IMO Shorties are a waste of $$$ so don't even bother.

Add headers it gets louder... add cam it gets way louder

I hear Solo is good too but I can only peronally attest to Corsa.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
I have the Solo cat back, no problems with drone and sounds great WOT. I have road tripped to Indy twice and New York & Canada twice this year no problems with drone.
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I love my Borla. It is very minimal drone; I won't say no drone, but I have never been bothered by the sound at cruise. It is quiet at cruise & idle & sounds good at start-up, accelleration & WOT. Here are some video clips. This is a professionally done one. It has high quality sound if you listen with headphones, but no WOT example:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148671
This is my Utube channel You will find multiple videos of Ruby drag racing & videos from inside the car crusing around.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RubyCamaro5?feature=mhee

Good luck deciding.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
CoolWhip14

Drives: Summit White with black rims
Just put on the ark dts cat back I literally couldn't ask for more and did the install myself it's so smooth sounding and looks amazing people can't stop complimenting I have videos just e mail me and I can sen them mine is alexd1314@gmail.com this system is worth every Penny

"Victory loves Preperation"
CoolWhip14 is offline   Reply With Quote