Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
CamaroDIYking

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Pros and cons

I currently have a dynomax bullet cat back exhaust. I am currently thinkin about doing a muffler delete. Can people tell me some pros and cons to doing a muffler delete ? And can someone inform me about the "drone" I keep hearing about? I would like to know about the AFM also. Thanks!

Lighting- LED footwell, grille, trunk, and engine lights done via DIY. LED dome, DRL, and tag lights.
Paint- Painted engine cover, steering wheel bezel, speedometer bezel, front bowtie, tail light bezels, wheel center caps.
Exterior lights- tinted tail lights and sidemarker lights.
Wheels- powdercoated stock RS 20' wheels black
Exhaust- Cat-back Dynomax Bullet Exhaust system with bullet muffler delete.
Misc- rear blackout kit from Big Worm Graphix, black side Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros, and rear Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros.
CamaroDIYking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
gafool

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM
the only way to get rid of the afm is to have it tuned out, if u dont youll be hearing it like im sure you already do.
gafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
CamaroDIYking

What is the AFM?

Lighting- LED footwell, grille, trunk, and engine lights done via DIY. LED dome, DRL, and tag lights.
Paint- Painted engine cover, steering wheel bezel, speedometer bezel, front bowtie, tail light bezels, wheel center caps.
Misc- rear blackout kit from Big Worm Graphix, black side Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros, and rear Camaro lettering from Emblem Pros.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
Active Fuel Management that the L99s have to help save fuel by shutting down cylinders at cruising speeds
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
CamaroDIYking

Is that where the "drone" comes into play?

Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
CamaroDIYking

Also, I would like to know about the muffler delete if anyone has any information about it. Thank you!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDIYking View Post
Is that where the "drone" comes into play?
I believe so I own a Ls3 so can't really comment on the drone but from a lot of reading on here, that's it
If I remember correctly I think I read a post on here some one installing j pipes and got rid of the drone
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
afm does not exactly mean drone. afm/dod is on l99 automatics and can be tuned out but its best in my opinion to get the mechanical junk of afm/dod outof your car as well...thats if you dont want afm, some people do. yes afm disables 4 cylinders while cruising by deactivating oil to the lifters of those cylinders. drone is created by a undesired frequency at certain rpms. it can easily be killed by a properly lengthened j pipe corresponding to the frequency of the drone. your stock mufflers have a j pipe in them.

goodluck and happy modding
Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDIYking View Post
Also, I would like to know about the muffler delete if anyone has any information about it. Thank you!
a muffler delete is where the mufflers are cut out and straight pipes are welded in their place...if you have a l99 you will still have a HUGE resonator in the middle of a cat back.

I would seriously just get a catback of your choice but thats not in everyones budget...if the cat back you like has drone add j-pipes to kill it, that easy.

catbacks offer no power increase only sound unless you are a high horsepower boosted car that could benefit from 3 inch cat back, our are 2.5 stock. if you have to just have a muffler delete then i would suggest cutting out the huge resonator and putting in a true x-pipe in its place. basically creating your own custom catback and getting rid of a lot of weight as well as making your car much louder.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
CamaroDIYking

I have a catback exhaust already. I was just saying if the muffler delete would make the drone louder or not. The exhaust I have already has a x-pipe

Tags
camaro exhaust, dynomax exhaust, muffler delete