Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #113
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
x2.

Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #114
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
For me I would love to see a NA high performance version of the Camaro. A 4,000 lb vehicle is no longer a sports car. Get the Z28 down to 3,700 pounds stripped. That can be done I am sure. With about 400 rwhp the Camaro with its superior chassis should have no problem keeping up with the Boss.

Give us an LS3 on steroids, the ZL1 brakes and chassis parts. Make sure there is no wheel hop and give us axles that will not break. Use light wheels with the same size tire at 4 corners and no understeer please.

For sure give us that track key that unleashes a real tune!

And by the way, why don't you offer us enthusiasts GM approved tunes so we can enjoy our cars and keep our warranty? You can make money on the tunes! I am hoping to see a new GM. The old one deserved what it got. But I bet on it and lost big time.

Anyway I am still here and using my GM card so I can get at least $1,000 off on my new Z28. It will be black.

By the way Chevrolet, thanks for listening to my rename the Z28 to ZL1 thread. You have a new legend!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #115
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyman View Post
I would like to get a Z28, the ZL1 is probably going to be out of my price range
umm excuse me? why would the z28 be cheaper than the zl1? It would probably have the ls7 or ls9 engine which is bigger than the ls3
Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #116
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
The only ZL1 parts the Z28 should get is the exhaust. I would say the drivetrain support as well but now were talking serious weight. Is there no cast aluminum differential available? The LS7 is unessessary, although it is the easiest solution, it will cost more and weight more than the LS3. The LS series is almost finished so I'm not sure GM would spend the money to tune and test an aggressive LS3 for a single application unless the Grand Sport also recieved this LSZ. The E-Rod 376 is street legal in all 50 states but not sure that the MPG's would be suitable.

You can save some weight in the exhaust (25lbs), 18 inch wheels (30lbs), Cast aluminum differential (15lbs), driveshaft (15lbs), 16 gallon fuel tank (18lbs), ZR1 brake system (15lbs), racing interior (40lbs)... This would be expensive no doubt, but that's the advantage of using an LS3, that and the weight.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #117
DoggyB22

Drives: 2001 Camaro Z28, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
John Fitz - Camaro Marketing Mgr:
Ironhead... We continue to work on evolving Camaro. Regarding Z28, all I can say is stay tuned...

[Comment From KentWatkins KentWatkins: ]
No comment on the Z28 then? The Z28 was brought out to battle the Boss Mustang back in the Trans Am days.
John Fitz - Camaro Marketing Mgr:
KentWatkins.. I think it is very interesting to note that history of the Z28 and its comparison to Boss 302...

Oh Yeah! There's gonna be a Z28!!!!!!

Once GM tricked us by bringing out the ZL1 instead of a Z28 I immediately thought "there going to make the Z28 a track/strip car & compete with the Boss 302 again!" Or lets hope GM!

01' Camaro Z28
H/C/I & a 200 shot 450 rwhp & 420 lbtq NA. TBD on spray
16' Camaro SS
LME 416, cammed, high ram intake, ported LT1 heads, stalled. 600 rwhp 550 lbtq
DoggyB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #118
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
What I am hoping for, is that GM is saving the Z28 to debut their new DOHC that is based on the raised cam GenV block. Hmmmmm.... a hybrid engine block...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #119
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
I am hoping for a Z28 priced for performance. Like others have stated along with me, this car needs to be focused on that alone. I'll be sorely disappointed if it turns out being an upgraded SS so to speak, and price itself out of the running for many of us. Some have suggested that they drop the 1SS from the lineup and put the Z28 in its place.

That would make sense from a selling standpoint. You'd have the 2SS (or just "SS" as it would be the only one) for V8 power + features and extras, and the Z28 for V8 Power + Performance upgrades. It would be a tradeoff, one or the other, dependent on what mattered most to the person buying the car. If they want the best of both worlds, then they have the top dog ZL1 for that purpose.

Everyone wonders where the Z28 would fit in the lineup, and that is what seems like would be the best solution. Also, features such as sunroof, convertible top or automatic transmission would be SS only options.

That way, the Z28 could stand its ground and a similar ballpark range in price to the (2)SS for the price of performance, and not be priced out of range with extras. It would ideally be situated above the SS in performance, but below the ZL1 in overall power, and contain interior and features akin to the LS.

I am also not a huge fan of the SS V8's having that half and half mode where it only engages all eight cylinders when accelerating. Sure, it sounds great in theory, but in the long term, it is still a recent concept and not entirely proven yet. It is one of the reasons I went with the LS and not the SS when I bought my current Camaro. I wasn't sure something like that wouldn't have issues ten year down the line.

For someone like me that buys cars and keeps them for the long haul, I did not want to take a gamble on something not completely proven yet to stand the test of time. It is also why I waited to get a 2011 instead of a 2010 when they first came out so there was at least one model year and good reviews of a model with the kinks worked out before I made a purchase. Hopefully, a track pack Z28 would run on all eight cylinders all the time.

That is where I would be looking for the Z28 in terms of making a purchase. Then my LS could function as a daily driver, and the Z28 could be the weekend warrior.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #120
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
I really hope they dont start using DOHC engines.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #121
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The only ZL1 parts the Z28 should get is the exhaust. I would say the drivetrain support as well but now were talking serious weight. Is there no cast aluminum differential available? The LS7 is unessessary, although it is the easiest solution, it will cost more and weight more than the LS3. The LS series is almost finished so I'm not sure GM would spend the money to tune and test an aggressive LS3 for a single application unless the Grand Sport also recieved this LSZ. The E-Rod 376 is street legal in all 50 states but not sure that the MPG's would be suitable.

You can save some weight in the exhaust (25lbs), 18 inch wheels (30lbs), Cast aluminum differential (15lbs), driveshaft (15lbs), 16 gallon fuel tank (18lbs), ZR1 brake system (15lbs), racing interior (40lbs)... This would be expensive no doubt, but that's the advantage of using an LS3, that and the weight.
I see your car is already at that lower weight! Nice. Sometimes I wish I had gone to the dark side, some things about the Camaro are frustrating. But I still like my SS. I will keep it for now.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #122
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
I am hoping for a Z28 priced for performance. Like others have stated along with me, this car needs to be focused on that alone. I'll be sorely disappointed if it turns out being an upgraded SS so to speak, and price itself out of the running for many of us. Some have suggested that they drop the 1SS from the lineup and put the Z28 in its place.

That would make sense from a selling standpoint. You'd have the 2SS (or just "SS" as it would be the only one) for V8 power + features and extras, and the Z28 for V8 Power + Performance upgrades. It would be a tradeoff, one or the other, dependent on what mattered most to the person buying the car. If they want the best of both worlds, then they have the top dog ZL1 for that purpose.

Everyone wonders where the Z28 would fit in the lineup, and that is what seems like would be the best solution. Also, features such as sunroof, convertible top or automatic transmission would be SS only options.

That way, the Z28 could stand its ground and a similar ballpark range in price to the (2)SS for the price of performance, and not be priced out of range with extras. It would ideally be situated above the SS in performance, but below the ZL1 in overall power, and contain interior and features akin to the LS.

I am also not a huge fan of the SS V8's having that half and half mode where it only engages all eight cylinders when accelerating. Sure, it sounds great in theory, but in the long term, it is still a recent concept and not entirely proven yet. It is one of the reasons I went with the LS and not the SS when I bought my current Camaro. I wasn't sure something like that wouldn't have issues ten year down the line.

For someone like me that buys cars and keeps them for the long haul, I did not want to take a gamble on something not completely proven yet to stand the test of time. It is also why I waited to get a 2011 instead of a 2010 when they first came out so there was at least one model year and good reviews of a model with the kinks worked out before I made a purchase. Hopefully, a track pack Z28 would run on all eight cylinders all the time.

That is where I would be looking for the Z28 in terms of making a purchase. Then my LS could function as a daily driver, and the Z28 could be the weekend warrior.
If Chevy decides to really compete with the Boss I am afraid the price will be north of a loaded 2SS. Besides putting on the good stuff they need to save some weight. Even getting a current SS down to 3650 is pricey, let alone the upgrades.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #123
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
what's up world? long time no talk.

well, I want a z28 no matter what. to the people that think the 1ss should be dropped and z28 put in it's place how does that makes sense when your uber camaro starts with a Z? so base camaro v-8 Z then switch it to an SS then back to a Z? nope not going to happen.

as for what we all would like to see...it's all opinion right now since it's not even a real car. and opinions are like A##holes everyones got one.

so here's mine.

direct injection v-8 north of 470hp/tq.
dry sump
curb weight 3500-3700 lbs for a manual
18 inch wheels
magnetic ride select
5 point harness (even though the z06 doesn't even come with that)
seats that will hold you pulling 1+G's
40k price tag.

make the thing handle and you will finally get my business GM. unless I break
down and get the ZL1. which has little of what I really want.

all this is just a wish list. and reality might be far from this
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #124
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
I didn't say make the 1SS the Z28. I said with a Z28 in the lineup, they wouldn't need a base V8 model anymore. The Z28 would be the base in terms of features (bells and whistles, if you will) but it would be performance based. I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't cost more than a 2SS either, although that could be inferred from the way I worded my post. Many keep saying adding the Z28 to the lineup would be one model too many, so I was just trying to guess at one potential solution to that potential issue, if it even is one.

What I was trying to say is that in terms of performance, the Z28 > 2SS, but in terms of luxury features, the 2SS > Z28.

Hopefully that will clear up any confusion on my previous post. Here's hoping we see the Z28 in some form in the next two years!
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #125
Hotrod6464

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS LS3 M6
I think the ZL1 is great but I am not into supercharged or turbo cars so I hope the Z28 is a a LS7 and lighter weight then our SS Camaros and more set up like a road racer.
Hotrod6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #126
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
There is a limit on the Boss 302 as well, there will be a total of 4000 Boss 302's built this year. 750 of those will be Laguna Seca's. It is strange that Ford actually went public with a solid figure, they usually are pretty secret about that.

On another note, some of us "enthusiast" are petitioning Ford to start a Boss job #2 since all of those 2012 Boss Mustang's have been spoken for.

The success of the Boss is only candy for GM. The Boss hype is probably really making them think about the Z28.
Sgt. why did Ford limit the Boss to 4000 units? With Chevy not putting a limit on the ZL1, to me me it would seem to give Chevy a large advantage, especially since all of the Boss's have already been sold? Also wouldn't a DOHC GenV weigh more than the current LS3 and go against trying to reduce weight in the Z28?