Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #29
trucker north

Drives: black silver stripe 1 ss
What camaro do you own?
trucker north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #30
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
IROC became a joke when NASCAR basically starting dominating American auto racing and the F1 guys stopped getting invites. Sad to given that I've known Dave Marcis since 1995. For those you don't know Dave was a NASCAR driver from 1968 to 2002 and he was one of the primary test drivers who set up the IROC cars. IROC failed to adapt and could never find sponsor money towards the end because nobody is interested anymore. BTW check this photo of me as a kid with my dad and Dave Marcis at the 96 Daytona 500.
Attached Images

TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #31
6 Shooter
Six Speed Freak

Drives: 2000 LS6 Millennium Yellow Roadster
The History of IROC Racing

“Spanning the globe to bring you a constant variety of sports; the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. The human drama of athletic competition … This is ABC’s Wide World of Sports.” Through the magic of television, those famous words of legendary sports announcer Jim McKay echoed throughout millions of households on Saturday afternoons for 37 years. The popular sports show ran from 1961 to 1998 but was most prominent throughout the ’60s and ’70s. Later years saw a decline in viewership due to cable programming where ESPN eventually became the premier sports channel.

www.sc.com
Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #32
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
With the Daytona 500 purse giving "only" 1.5 million to Junior this year, a record I think, not sure you could get 5 to 10 million for the winner out of this race.

Nice idea, but would need way too much money from GM to make them Camaro for starters. They didn't just pick Camaro in the past because it was the best car. As shown in the pics they used Trans Ams and even a Dodge or two in the past, oddly enough the Daytona.

Cool idea, just don't see it happening. What you are describing wouldn't be interesting to the Top 12 NASCAR drivers at the end of the season. It's just an All Star Game at this point and I don't recall watching an NBA or NHL All Star game for a lonnnnggggg time. And if you didn't get all the top 12 it would immediately start to lose revenue opportunity.

Too much money required to pull it off, especially for just a single race.

Oh, and if this is just your ploy to ultimately get an IROC Camaro I just don't see GM plowing the dough into this just for a sticker on the side of the car.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #33
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
With the Daytona 500 purse giving "only" 1.5 million to Junior this year, a record I think, not sure you could get 5 to 10 million for the winner out of this race.

Nice idea, but would need way too much money from GM to make them Camaro for starters. They didn't just pick Camaro in the past because it was the best car. As shown in the pics they used Trans Ams and even a Dodge or two in the past, oddly enough the Daytona.

Cool idea, just don't see it happening. What you are describing wouldn't be interesting to the Top 12 NASCAR drivers at the end of the season. It's just an All Star Game at this point and I don't recall watching an NBA or NHL All Star game for a lonnnnggggg time. And if you didn't get all the top 12 it would immediately start to lose revenue opportunity.

Too much money required to pull it off, especially for just a single race.

Oh, and if this is just your ploy to ultimately get an IROC Camaro I just don't see GM plowing the dough into this just for a sticker on the side of the car.
Maybe they could get Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge to chip in and all 3 share the cost and make it more affordable but I would like to see it come back as well. It was a hell of alot more exciting than regular nascar racing...
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
Maybe they could get Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge to chip in and all 3 share the cost and make it more affordable but I would like to see it come back as well. It was a hell of alot more exciting than regular nascar racing...
Hmmmm, might have something there.

Each manufacturer is allowed a certain amount of leeway to tune the chassis and aero, yet have similar controls on the powertrain as other racing series. Let the 3 go at it with near stock product.

Might not be a huge draw, but I'd find something like that interesting.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #35
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Never happen.
You need a series sponsor and a FIRM, COMMITTED outlet to present the series and develop a following. The masses do not care about auto racing anymore. Doubt me? How many times has each and every one of us chosen to watch something else when a race was on television. We vote by our viewing. That's what attracts the sponsors with their money which makes the event possible.

I miss it, too, but it'll never happen.
Rather pay the million dollar salary to somebody who dribbles?
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #36
Muscle Car Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Hmmmm, might have something there.

Each manufacturer is allowed a certain amount of leeway to tune the chassis and aero, yet have similar controls on the powertrain as other racing series. Let the 3 go at it with near stock product.

Might not be a huge draw, but I'd find something like that interesting.
Yea I think it would be great letting the 3 manufacturers have at it with some great drivers from all forms of auto racing, I think people would watch it...
Old 08-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #37
Muscle Car Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
Never happen.
You need a series sponsor and a FIRM, COMMITTED outlet to present the series and develop a following. The masses do not care about auto racing anymore. Doubt me? How many times has each and every one of us chosen to watch something else when a race was on television. We vote by our viewing. That's what attracts the sponsors with their money which makes the event possible.

I miss it, too, but it'll never happen.
Rather pay the million dollar salary to somebody who dribbles?
Sponsorship might be a problem because every form of auto racing is fighting to sponsor $$$, but when it comes to watching racing if you enjoy auto racing you watch it, at least i do, from Indy Car, NHRA, Nascar and some others...
Old 08-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #38
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Watching the Indy car race and taping the NASCAR race to watch later because I was at church when it came on.

"WE" are definitely in the minority.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, iroc racing