Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
What Would you do? Trade or not to trade?

Okay guys I'm in a little bit of a pickle here. I have a 2013 1LE 2SS with very tasteful mods done to it, (supercharger, blower cam and all the best for supporting mods such as id850 injectors, etc.....), suspension wise all that is done on top of the 1LE stock suspension is some Pfadt lowering springs. I had all this work done literally 2 months ago at a professional shop out my way and I do like the car and it's extremely fast at 612 rwhp.
The things that I'm not to keen on... are that it is louder now with the Cam and the gutted cats, so that's a little bothersome, and that driveability has suffered a tad. Not tremendously or anything, I'm sure what I have is standard for a blown and cammed SS but still it's definitely a little harsher. I have attached a link to my thread on the actual build so you can get an idea of what it has.

Now for the reason I started this thread. I couldn't help but go and test drive a 2013 ZL1 the other day cause I wanted to see what all the hype was about. The car was a manual, had sunroof and nav . Needless to say when I drove it I fell in love. The ride quality with the magnetic ride was superb, the shifting and shorter throws of the shifter were not only more positive but it was a pure joy to row through the gears. Overall I loved how the car is a monster but literally drives like a caddy when you want it to.
Now.....My car sticker was 40k plus and I paid 35 and change for my car. I literally have put a minimum of 15k into my car. The Zl1 has 48 miles on it and is marked down to 50,400 and has never been titled or anything like that. They told me They would give me 39k for my car towards the ZL1 the way it is, also I have 1650 GM points I could apply to the deal. So in total after I paid off what I owe and put down the GM points I would have 7650 of positive equity to put towards the purchase of this car. Another thing is that the 39k there giving me is really like 42,412.50 (to be exact) cause of the taxes I will save by trading (sales tax I pay is 8.75%).
So my question is simply this would you guys trade or keep the beast you already have? I'm I throwing away to much money? Obviously I'm leaning towards doing the deal that's why I posted this in the ZL1 section but please try to remain unbiased and please try to put yourself in my situation, I would love to get some great feedback on this with real live enthusiasts( like myself) opinions. Thanks guys

P.S. My wife wants to kill me...

Build thread.......

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351383
1BLWN/LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Oh forgot to mention I absolutely love the exhaust note of the ZL1, It doesn't get any more perfect then that as far as tone and loudness.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
It sounds like your mind is made up...might as well trade or you wont happy.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
sounds like you already know what you should do.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
You molded that 1LE into what you wanted. With the money you dumped into it, I couldn't see letting it go. That thing looks mean! It's your decision.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
mrfuelie

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
What in the hell are you waiting for?
mrfuelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Another thing to consider is warranty (if you're they type that cares).
With all the mods on the 1LE, you're definitely no longer covered by the warranty for the most part.

On the other hand, the ZL1 is designed to be driven hard and still be covered. to me that speaks volumes. You can drive it as hard as you'd like without being afraid of breaking it (within reason of course.)
You've already noticed the mag ride, and the fact that the ZL1 can be as tame as a kitten or it can roar like a lion all depending on how you drive it.

If you feel the need for more power in the ZL1, it's easy to do just by swapping the pulleys, maybe the injectors, etc.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Botally Tone

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray ZL1
First off your car is awesome. Hell of a job you did on your SS man. However, there is one thing that you cannot add to your SS from the ZL1 and that is the magnetic suspension. That is one of the single best things about the ZL1. Comfortable when you want it to be and stiff when your ready for the track. Your SS is quite a bit more powerful than a stock ZL1 but it is not hard to get it to match or pass where your SS currently is. You can do it for a lot less than 15K too. I believe a lot of the ZL1 components are beefed up such as the rear diff, axles, etc.The ZL1 can be successfully modded to handle a lot of power. There are quite a few Z's on this forum that have gone past the 700 rwhp mark with no problems. All in all I think that if you are planning on getting a car to keep for a long time and be happy with it's hard not to tip this one in the Z's favor.
Botally Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
toyosuprablue
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Where in NY are you? To be honest I'm surprised they offered you 39k for your 1LE, and being so modded. If the numbers work and you know which one makes you happier then go for it.
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Stoned Hemi 6

Drives: '14 2SS/RS AGM 1LE NPP, 1995 Imp SS
Personally I wouldn't trade. 15K is a lot of money invested in your 1LE and they are only offering you 39k as is. To me, that is a big hit. I would hold off and see what the redesign has to offer in a couple of years or so. Do what makes you happy though. It's your money and you only live once!
Stoned Hemi 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
The only way I would trade is if the car was a total disaster...meaning that the quality would be totally unacceptable.

If my car is doing its job then I would not trade.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned Hemi 6 View Post
Personally I wouldn't trade. 15K is a lot of money invested in your 1LE and they are only offering you 39k as is. To me, that is a big hit. I would hold off and see what the redesign has to offer in a couple of years or so. Do what makes you happy though. It's your money and you only live once!
Far from invested. It's money just spent for fun.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Ah right guys thanks for all the replies , I have enjoyed reading them.
I'm about 95 percent sure that this deal is going to happen. Just waiting on a small thing are too , to get ironed out.
All in all my decision to the deal was based on how truly magnificent the ZL1 was when I drove it... comparing an SS or even 1LE to it is literally like comparing a new Malibu to a caddy.. No offense SS and 1LE owners, obviously those are still awesome cars as well.
But for the value I'm getting at 39k plus the extended value of another 3k plus in taxes, I think I'm getting a great deal. Not to mention the 1650 in GM points is an added bonus..

The only concerns I do have is, I'm I going to regret that I'm getting a black car that I always said I would never get again...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Shifter is the same between 1LE and ZL1. Why not just replace gutted cats to get a quieter exhaust tone?

With your 1LE you have a lot less weight and more power.

You are also asking this question in ZL1 section so it will be biased.