Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
What tuning device can you use for 2 vehicles? Camaro & 09 Silverado

Looking for some advice in buying a tuning device.

For my LS3 Camaro, I will be buying ARH 1 7/8s LT's, CAI (probably Halltech or Rotofab or similar).

Maybe a mild cam someday, maybe.

I also have an 09 Silverado 5.3L that I would like to do one thing with - turn off the AFM. That's it for that one, it is staying stock, I just hate the AFM.

I like to tinker and want to do as much myself as possible. I.E. if I do buy a tune from someone, I still want to be able to tinker with the tune, maybe tweak the fans or something if I change the thermostat later...

Any suggestions for a Tuning Device that I could use on both my vehicles?

Down the road if I do get a mild cam, I would probably need a dyno tune. Not sure if I would still be able to use what I get now, but I'd like to get something now to get me going just with the LT's and CAI.
And it would be really nice if I could use that same device on my truck to turn of the AFM.

Any suggestions? HP Tuners or maybe a handheld? I'm not sure if any of
the handheld devices could do 2 vehicles? I've seen with HP Tuners, you can get multiple credits...

Thanks for any suggestions.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You can get HP Tuners or EFI Live to tune both of those vehicles. They both will come with enough credits/licenses to do both. With them you can tune and re-tune as much as you like.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
You can get HP Tuners or EFI Live to tune both of those vehicles. They both will come with enough credits/licenses to do both. With them you can tune and re-tune as much as you like.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Keep in mind, without extensive tuning skills, you can get into a lot of trouble with a full tuning suite...be sure to do your homework before making the jump.
Mike@DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport View Post
Keep in mind, without extensive tuning skills, you can get into a lot of trouble with a full tuning suite...be sure to do your homework before making the jump.
Thanks, as I'm researching this I'm starting to see what you mean. And probably the 2 vehicles with 1 tuner isn't so important.

So if I look at just my Camaro: It will have LT headers and a CAI.

It looks like an easy route to tune that would be a handheld, some data logging, and someone that can help with a mail order tune using my data logs.

Going that route - with a Diablosport tuner, would you suggest the Predator or Trinity? I've seen some comments where a Wide Band sensor data log could be used to get a tune pretty close to what dyno tuning would get. Which tuner would be better for that - Predator or Trinity?

I haven't bought the headers yet, to use a Wide Band 02, would I need a special bung welded in when I am ordering the headers?

Thanks. Appreciate all the help.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
The Trinity would be better, since it has an input that you could hook up a wideband O2 sensor to in order to data log it along with the other parameters you'd be datalogging...
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
i'm in the same boat. gonna go with HPTuners for my Camaro and Sierra Denali i think.

the flexibility, stand alone capabilities and the need to not work with someone over the course of an entire summer via email made my decision.

i can take to my tuner and get it dialed in and get a copy of the tune. with the support and repository on the HPTuner website, i'll be ok.

plus the tuners here can help ya with HPTuners just as Diablo, in case ur worried about getting in over ur head.

i'd prolly lean toward the trinity but i want the 2 car option.

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
hptuners.
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Looking for some advice in buying a tuning device.

For my LS3 Camaro, I will be buying ARH 1 7/8s LT's, CAI (probably Halltech or Rotofab or similar).

Maybe a mild cam someday, maybe.

I also have an 09 Silverado 5.3L that I would like to do one thing with - turn off the AFM. That's it for that one, it is staying stock, I just hate the AFM.

I like to tinker and want to do as much myself as possible. I.E. if I do buy a tune from someone, I still want to be able to tinker with the tune, maybe tweak the fans or something if I change the thermostat later...

Any suggestions for a Tuning Device that I could use on both my vehicles?

Down the road if I do get a mild cam, I would probably need a dyno tune. Not sure if I would still be able to use what I get now, but I'd like to get something now to get me going just with the LT's and CAI.
And it would be really nice if I could use that same device on my truck to turn of the AFM.

Any suggestions? HP Tuners or maybe a handheld? I'm not sure if any of
the handheld devices could do 2 vehicles? I've seen with HP Tuners, you can get multiple credits...

Thanks for any suggestions.
We have it instock and ready to ship.

You also get our expert advise and free base tune as well when you order it from us.

Andy
www.admperformance.com
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote