Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
Too box in the fronts or not to box in the fronts?? That is the question

So, who boxed in their front speakers? I decided to install a glass box on my pasenger side speaker. After having the pannel off for 2-3 weeks and watching it rain inside my car like crazy. I wanted to protect my investment in these hertz 165xl speakers... It seams that if we leave off the plastic door barrier water is free to fill up your car, so if you removed it make sure that it is sealed up good when you go back together. I made up a temp cover till I get my glass one made up... could some one please help me a bit with the math for the Sq foot or in needed for a 6 and 3/4 speaker??? Its been years and years since i done it and I cant seam to re member how lmao... I am making 2 differant styles ported and sealed. I want to see which sounds best, before i close the door all the way back up.....

I am going to come off the back at the bottom with a port and do a 180 and come through the door inner skin......
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
What speaker adapters are you using? You sure as hell could save alot of time and money by (if wood or MDF) painting them or just make youre own adapters out of plastic board.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Silver-SS

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
Most component sets are tuned for infinite baffle aren't they? I think you'll lose a lot of performance out of them. Probably better off if you just create a "roof" over them and leave them open to use the door as an enclosure.
Silver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
silver I think your right... I was searching google and kept seeing the same thing. So right this second I just have foil back rubber tape as a back. I am going to open that back up and make sure watter cant get to my speakers. Seriously though.. there was so much water. I had no idea the door leaked that much.
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Silver-SS

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
How do you like the xl's? I think that is what I am going to run as well. Hoping for more mid bass out of them than the standard 165's. I know they like power but I have a JL hd600.4 waiting to power my mids/highs
Silver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
So I put in some boom mat foam speaker baffles... I was doing it purely to protect the speakers... They're upgraded to RE Audio 6.5" components amplified... Would there be some performance degradation from the baffles?