Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Am I crazy? (TC/Stabilitrak disable)

So, I know if you push the t/c button on the console and hold it down for a number of seconds, it disables traction control and stabilitrak.

Is there anything in the program, when those features are enabled, that manage or reduce torque under good traction conditions? I ran the car out pretty hard, and I swore the top end (4k+) felt juicier. Maybe it was just a good stretch of road, but I wanted to validate what's actually happening when those two functions are disabled.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
ABSOLUTLY... The car has whats call "torque management" to help keep you from getting in hairy situations. I usually run in mayhem mode... It's much "juicier" as it turns torque management and other "nannies" down or off completely.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
njdad61

Drives: 2020 Satin Steel 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
So, I know if you push the t/c button on the console and hold it down for a number of seconds, it disables traction control and stabilitrak.

Is there anything in the program, when those features are enabled, that manage or reduce torque under good traction conditions? I ran the car out pretty hard, and I swore the top end (4k+) felt juicier. Maybe it was just a good stretch of road, but I wanted to validate what's actually happening when those two functions are disabled.
No. The nannies only kick in when you lose traction. If your tires don't spin, you gain nothing from turning them off.

Torque Management is only in effect under 4k RPM or so and can only be eliminated with a custom tune.
  • Arrived 8/13/19
  • Home 8/16/19
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Torque Management is only active below 3000 RPM and it is the same regardless of the TC/Stabilitrack setting. The only way to change this is with a tune.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Turning on TC/Stabilitrac should not reduce the usable power you have. It should be giving you the max amount of power to the wheels that the current traction conditions will allow for. If you turn it off all you do is have more power to the wheels than will do you any good. Torque Management is a different beast and isnt affected by the button.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
VTXrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
Turning on TC/Stabilitrac should not reduce the usable power you have. It should be giving you the max amount of power to the wheels that the current traction conditions will allow for. If you turn it off all you do is have more power to the wheels than will do you any good. Torque Management is a different beast and isnt affected by the button.
I would disagree with this on one point. Having some wheel spin and sliding can help you go faster, i.e. on the track. The problem is that at the point where it is helping 99% of drivers are going to lose control. This helps true expert drivers only!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
I would disagree with this on one point. Having some wheel spin and sliding can help you go faster, i.e. on the track. The problem is that at the point where it is helping 99% of drivers are going to lose control. This helps true expert drivers only!
I'm part of the 99%, should I go occupy wallstreet now

Like others have said the only thing that will make your car faster in terms of nannies is a tune. Your experience was all in your head, hell I thought my car was more responsive after its first oil change which is even more silly than your thoughts.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
VTXrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
I'm part of the 99%, should I go occupy wallstreet now

Like others have said the only thing that will make your car faster in terms of nannies is a tune. Your experience was all in your head, hell I thought my car was more responsive after its first oil change which is even more silly than your thoughts.
Lol, my wife says her car is faster every time she has an oil change. If your oil was so sludged up as to be reducing engine performance you have a real problem!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Ok, it must have just been a good run, then, lots of cool air, good road surface
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
I feel the same way when I turn the traction and stabilitrac off. Like I get more power and I thought I did since it told me I was in competitive mode. Guess not just make sure ac is off that does make a diff.
The SwiftChancelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SwiftChancelor View Post
I feel the same way when I turn the traction and stabilitrac off. Like I get more power and I thought I did since it told me I was in competitive mode. Guess not just make sure ac is off that does make a diff.
agreed... It's probably all in my head, but when I see the "competitive mode" on the screen, I feel like the car is much faster
Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
YouseeSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Ok, it must have just been a good run, then, lots of cool air, good road surface
+1 on the cool air. We had a cool week last week here in so cal, first in a while and I could really feel her pull harder then usual. It also happens to be the first time I got on it in cool weather with the Vararam intake. Of course it's freaking 102 today
Old 10-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Placebo effect
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote