Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #15
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
+1 on rubbing alcohol.

A few years ago at the apartment complex I lived all of the parking was under massive pine trees. Once for a few days we had a hard rain and the car ended up with 20-30 large patches of sap, which by the time I got to cleaning on was baked on. I used a few products to no luck, then used rubbing alcohol and it dissolved the sap instantly, very little effort.

Just wax/seal/whatever you want to do on at least thr areas you applied the rubbing alcohol though, since it will strip off any protectant you do have on the car.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #16
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddowell92 View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the details. I'll get to work on it soon! Car is way too pretty to neglect. Might even do my truck while I'm at it.

Thanks again everyone!
If your using !PA, here's some good information from a professional detailer with 35 years of experience.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ing-paint.html

I have found that using it full strength, at the 91% or 70% level, it will dull the surface somewhat. I've never had to use it on tree sap since I got the speedy prep towel.

A wipedown with 10-15% IPA is great for removing any clay lube residue.

The alcohol doesn't flash off and dry as fast when diluted at this ratio, so it has time to dissolve any oils or residue on the surface without drying too fast, leaving you with the best possible surface for your sealant to bond to.

Carpro Eraser does this same thing, but instead of dissolving, it lifts the oils and lube residue off the paint, so it can easily be wiped away.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had to remove tree sap and buff the roof to a Town and Country this past Tuesday, we have stuff at the shop called Bug A Boo that I tried on it and it took the sap off with ease. If you have small specks on your car a clay bar will work fine but will take awhile and you'll probably want to wax the car after like others have stated. I had to use that stuff to take off large chunks that they had let form on the car and a clay bar wasn't cutting it.

LS3 Conversion | Comp Cam Custom Grind | Mast Heads | Comp Cam Push Rods | LS7 Timing Chain | 180 Thermostat | Ported Intake | Ported TB | SLP UDP | K & N CAI | Custom 3800 Stall Converter | Aluminum 1 Piece Driveshaft | Kooks 1 7/8" LTH | High Flow Cats | ARH 3" Exhaust | ARH Mufflers | Eibach Lowering Springs | BMR Floor Brace Subframe Connectors with Tunnel Brace | BMR Moly Lower Rear Control Arms | Oracle LED Halo Kit
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote