Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Unhappy Don't think this one's gonna buff out..

Guys, I can barely even steady my hands to type this all out. I don't think I've ever been this shaken up in my short life. I suppose that's a good thing, actually.

Let's set the scene. I'm driving down a divided highway (road with a median) and all of a sudden, I see a black pickup truck to my left, driving paralell to me, but on the wrong side of the road. I pull up to the stoplight, and he does too. The light turns green and I stick my hand out to wave him through, thinking he had made a mistake and I'd let him get back over to the correct side through the intersection. He didn't move, so I went ahead. Less than a 1/4 mile later, I see a vehicle tailgating me big time, moving closer, then backing off, then back up, flashing their hi-beams. It was fairly dark, so I didn't know if it was the same car or what. I move over to my right, to the center lane, thinking whoever it was would just speed past. Wrong. The truck moves over two lanes, to the far right lane, and pulls up right beside me. Not even a second later, he rams my car on the passenger side, HARD. At this point, I get behind him and start honking, hoping he'll pull over. At the same time, I dial 911 and report the accident, telling the dispatch his license plate #, and asking what I should do, keep following him or pull over.

While she's taking down my location, we stop at a stoplight, me right behind him. He proceeds to get out of the vehicle, wander around, and starts yanking on the side mirror of the car to the side of him. I tell the dispatch, you need to send someone, I don't know if this guy has a weapon, or what he's on. He gets back in his truck, puts it in reverse and SLAMS back into the front of my car. At this point, I'm terrified, thinking this guy is targeting me for something, I have no idea what. He then speeds off, and I tell the dispatch, "I need help, NOW." I pulled into a gas station and waited for the police to arrive.

The police arrive (30 minutes later), telling me they have him in custody, that he hit at least two more cars by the time they caught him, about 5 miles up the road. The officer told me he appeared to be under the influence of something, he didn't say alcohol or what.

I am not a religious man, but I thank whatever is out there that I didn't get hurt and that this man didn't have a weapon. The car can be fixed, it's just a thing. The airbags didn't go off, I'm not injured, and I hope nobody else he hit is, either. It killed me, because this car was my dream. From the time my grandfather took me to it's unveiling at the Detroit Auto Show, I set aside every penny I had until I could afford it when I was 20 years old.

I think it'll be ok. I need a new door, mirror, rear rocker, at least one wheel, new hood, new grille and new front fascia. It wasn't leaking anything and the engine sounded good. I'm thinking it's all just bodywork, or I'm hoping.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
That is horrible man! Good thing nobody is hurt....he'll get his soon enough.
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
That sucks man!

I'm glad your ok tho!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow, that is crazy, glad you're ok, make sure you press charges against that lunatic, hopefully he gets thrown in jail.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Glad to see you're okay, another example of how crazy people can be. Hope you get your baby back on the road soon
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Wtf man , That guy was insane ! They need to see to it and put him away for attempted murder.
I hope it all works out and you get it fixed . I feel for you man. Sorry
Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
wow, that is crazy, glad you're ok, make sure you press charges against that lunatic, hopefully he gets thrown in jail.
What can I press charges for? I mean, the cops said he has insurance and they have him in custody. I'm sure my car will get taken care of through his insurance. I'm not hurt or anything.

And I'm not meaning to sound confrontational, I really just don't know. I've never been in a wreck before, and certainly nothing like this.

And thank you to everyone for the well-wishes. I know to most poeple it's just a car, but you guys know as well as I do that it's really a part of us.

I do have to say, I was really impressed with the integrity of the front end. It buckled up just like it was supposed to and really did it's job of protecting me. I know he couldn't have gained much speed in reverse, but he really did hit me hard, and it doesn't look like anything went into the engine bay at all (at least looking at it from the outside)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Wow, that's crazy! So glad your ok! Goes to show the crazy people on the road! Can't imagine what you must have gone through.

Maybe take it as an opportunity to upgrade the fascia? Or get a new grille? Or hood?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
What can I press charges for? I mean, the cops said he has insurance and they have him in custody. I'm sure my car will get taken care of through his insurance. I'm not hurt or anything.

And I'm not meaning to sound confrontational, I really just don't know. I've never been in a wreck before, and certainly nothing like this.

And thank you to everyone for the well-wishes. I know to most poeple it's just a car, but you guys know as well as I do that it's really a part of us.
your life was in danger, of course you can press charges, he was trying to run you off the road and then slam his vehicle into the front of your car.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
your life was in danger, of course you can press charges, he was trying to run you off the road and then slam his vehicle into the front of your car.

Thank you. I will look into it, the police officer didn't mention it. By the way, I was so impressed with the officer and the dispatcher. They could not have been more courteous or helpful. The officer kept telling me to take my time when I was writing out the report and everything. He even apologized profusely for how long it took for him to arrive, which wasn't really even that bad (probably about 30 minutes). Kudos to Richardson PD!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
well damn, that was an interesting read.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
2ss2012

Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
Dang Dude glad your ok
2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Black N' Yellow

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
That's horrible, glad you ok. Life could always be worse, but it sound likes you've got a good attitude.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black N' Yellow View Post
That's horrible, glad you ok. Life could always be worse, but it sound likes you've got a good attitude.
You know, I never really even got angry. I was really scared for a while, then I realized I was ok, and the car looked like it was fixable. I calmed down pretty quick once I was away from him.

Now, ask me how I feel a week into driving my Dodge Avenger, or whatever the hell Enterprise gives me, lol. I may be singing a different tune.