Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Congrats on you getting the 2013 as promised by GM!...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Mrose

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Victory Red !!!!!!!
glad to here they finally figured it out !
ZL1 Current Status:6000 #1251
1000 Initial Order 11/28/2011 -
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/28/2011 - QBDTB8
2000 Order accepted by GM: 04/23/2012
2500 Order preferenced. Pulled to the production system 4/24/2012
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 04/25/2012 - TPW 05/07/2011
3100 Sequenced: 05/03/2012
3300 Scheduled For Production:5/4/2012
3400 Broadcast: 5/5/2012
3800 Produced: 5/11/2012
4B00 Available To Ship car is bayed: 5/13/2012
4200 Shipped: 5/30/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 6/5/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 6/6/2012
Mrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
Zee-Ell-One
YOOZ GOTA B FREKN KIDN ME

Drives: 2013 6mt ZL1#826
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
I currently own a 2012 ZL1 (VIN #1526) that has been to Hell and back. After weeks in the shop, a motor replacement, and over $17,000 in repairs, I finally have an answer as to why oil kept leaking... a $0.40 rubber grommet.

I have been posting on this issue for quite some time (refer to the forum "Serious ZL1 Defects"), but thought it may be helpful to start a new forum to better share this issue with other Camaro enthusiasts that may run into this problem.

I'll try to keep this brief. After following the break-in period per the owner's manual, I ran my ZL1 into high engine RPM's (5-6,000). After driving it awhile I started smelling burning oil, and to my surprise, could see oil puddling under the car. My ZL1 was in and out of the shop for over a month with the Service Technician trying to diagnose the problem. Rendering the fourth attempt and consulting numerous engineers, the oil leak was due to a mis-punched grommet. The blocked grommet caused pressure to build in the engine which caused oil to leak passed the main seal in both motors at high RPM's.

It seems to me like this could be a sporadic issue with the ZL1 PCV System, if it is ZL1 specific, and if in fact this mis-manufactured grommet was not a one-time error. So if anyone finds that after driving the car at high engine RPM's that there is noticeable oil leaking, I would definitely check the PCV System before assuming anymore serious repairs.

Thank you again to those that provided me with feedback and support throughout this tremendous headache. I hope no one else encounters this issue; however, if someone does, please don't hesitate to communicate it with the rest of us here on the forum.
Hey Cam. Thank you so much for all of your time invested so that we could all be informed. So how exactly did you get the grommet information? Did GM provide you with this explanation?
The statement highlighted in red "oil leaked past the main seal in both motors at high RPM" Both motors? So was there another documented case of the same issue? I want to check this grommet on day one when I take delivery. Would love to see the part in a picture or a part number. I guess if you see light thru it, it should be good ya? Thanx again..
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 6.2 L86 Crew Cab
2012 Aprilia RSV4 R
2015 Husqvarna FC450 Motomadness
First Car: 1973 Dodge Charger 340 Magnum 4MT Factory Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter
Zee-Ell-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
Wilburnter

Drives: bmw
it till the new one comes in
Old 08-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #19
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
They are still replacing the 2012 with the 2013 with a production date of 8/27/12. I haven't heard anything otherwise. I don't feel as confident in my 2012, especially rendering the damage that has occured after the fact. Even that I tried to overlook, but unfortunately the peace of mind is still gone.
I am sorry to hear of the discontent you have with your vehicle. If you could please send me the details about the concern you are having, I would be more than happy to see if there are any options available to you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee-Ell-One View Post
Hey Cam. Thank you so much for all of your time invested so that we could all be informed. So how exactly did you get the grommet information? Did GM provide you with this explanation?
The statement highlighted in red "oil leaked past the main seal in both motors at high RPM" Both motors? So was there another documented case of the same issue? I want to check this grommet on day one when I take delivery. Would love to see the part in a picture or a part number. I guess if you see light thru it, it should be good ya? Thanx again..

My ZL1 was in the shop numerous times before they finally did a motor swap, that's where the second motor comes in. Engineers were contacted when the problem re-occured. They explained the grommet was never replaced, as it isn't part of the engine. I would've posted pictures, but GM wanted the old motor, as well as the mis-punched grommet returned.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
Silverguardrail

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1448
Quote:
My ZL1 was in the shop numerous times before they finally did a motor swap, that's where the second motor comes in. Engineers were contacted when the problem re-occured. They explained the grommet was never replaced, as it isn't part of the engine. I would've posted pictures, but GM wanted the old motor, as well as the mis-punched grommet returned.
Can you post a picture where the grommet is located on your current ZL1 ? Thank you.

ZL1 - the true definition of joy ride

Last edited by Silverguardrail; 08-01-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Silverguardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
ZoomZoom
R6P Owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
DING, DING, DING - I beleive I called it first back in the original post.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=146
You did call it man. way to go DFW!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
At least the OP could have given us some formal detail of what was involved with the issue beyond a littany of Chicken Little OMG....just sayin....
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

Schtuff happens, but GM came through for you, AND we all know what caused the problem.

Sorry you had all that grief, but I'm glad it's resolved now. Enjoy the ride. =D
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #25
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
At least the OP could have given us some formal detail of what was involved with the issue beyond a littany of Chicken Little OMG....just sayin....
If I interpret your post correctly you don't think I had a very severe issue. I ran through the whole ordeal step by step in the forum titled "Serious ZL1 Defects." Including pictured as seen on this page

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236658

Oil purging at high engine RPM's on the underside of the car including scoring on the exhaust and flywheel, repeated attempts at a repair to no avail including a crate motor swap, finally found to be a mis-manufactured rubber grommet in the PCV system where it vents into the intake manifold. Of all of the issues posted to this forum I don't think I have been acting like chicken little.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
I read your post through and through, thanks for your concern about my post!. I wanted to find out exactly what was the issue since this became a major thread of mechanical concern that you posted on. You mentioned a grommet as I recall without any specific location, system function, or repair method. Just looking for clarification since so much passion was put into the post by the OP, and to enlighten us all if it becomes a point of contention for us ZL1 owners down the road. Any attempt of an explaination was vague and unclear at best.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Are you for real with this comment?
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #28
dimitri

Drives: 06 M5/04 350Z
Cam ...unbelievable ....small part caused so many issues.
Thank god they figured it out.
Is it possible someone can post a picture of the location in the engine bay so
Everybody here can do simple look over.

Thanks again .
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, leak, motor, oil, problem