Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #85
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You are right, cars powered by burning hydrogen produced under current methods isn't a great idea. But there are 2 ways around that: figure out a better way to produce hydrogen (there are ideas, but they require a new generation of nuclear power plants) or use fuel cells (which don't work as well with methane). The 'nuclear option' is interesting because in theory, its a net positive process (more energy produced than consumed) and would therefore truly produce a hydrogen fuel. But its all just theory at the moment and large scale production is probably 2 decades away at least.
By new generate nuclear power plant, do you mean fusion? Ultimately, I figure the long term future of energy will be nuclear to generate a combination of electricity for batteries, and fuels that can be burned in an ICE. Biofuel from algae is a wild card in there as well.

However, wouldn't it be fairly easy for natural gas cars to ultimately be bi-fuel, basically able to burn both nat gas or hydrogen, or any combination of the two?
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:19 AM   #86
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Drives: 1986 Z28 Camaro 383 TPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Just like when Mustang owners went crazy when Ford was going to make the Probe the new Mustang, hybrid just doesn't fit the Camaro name. If you want a hybrid "sporty" car, make a new one. Call it the "Gore"
Don't even get me started on Ralph Nader. 3rd gens like mine with a 350 TPI could've had at least 350+ HP. But then they had to put emissions standards that do nothing more than hurt the environment more and cause the engine to become less powerful.

OK, I'll stop myself now before this turns into locktite for the thread.

Today I went to Orielly's to change out my serpentine belt, as I walked by one of the Orielly's associates who was helping somebody asked me if I knew where the sparkplugs would be on a Honda Civic... I simply told him that; "I don't know, I only work on American vehicles."

He told me that was the best damn answer he ever heard.
B2k4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #87
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
just leave, ;sign off the computer and never come back on C5. for your temporary efforts of being a true camaro enthusiast.

lol jk..but really tho..not a good idea, if someone wants a hybrid and to save gas then get a prius and forget about the camaro because a camaro that is eco friendly and saves gas is no camaro. =] A camaro tears up the gas tank and the streets leaving smoke and dust behind to sit in the air so the thought of a hybrid camaro just makes me wanna
Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #88
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You are right, cars powered by burning hydrogen produced under current methods isn't a great idea. But there are 2 ways around that: figure out a better way to produce hydrogen (there are ideas, but they require a new generation of nuclear power plants) or use fuel cells (which don't work as well with methane). The 'nuclear option' is interesting because in theory, its a net positive process (more energy produced than consumed) and would therefore truly produce a hydrogen fuel. But its all just theory at the moment and large scale production is probably 2 decades away at least.
better to just use natural gas flex cars. 1/3 the cost of hydrogen, and you don't need 500 lbs storage tanks for the hydrogen if your burning it.

I drove BMW's 7 series flex gas / hydrogen cars...pretty cool but really unrealistic.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #89
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Only if its like the concept pontiac had in the late 90s with 1x 250hp electric motor at all 4 wheels! 1000hp of green fun! C'mon better batteries!
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #90
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
By new generate nuclear power plant, do you mean fusion? Ultimately, I figure the long term future of energy will be nuclear to generate a combination of electricity for batteries, and fuels that can be burned in an ICE. Biofuel from algae is a wild card in there as well.

However, wouldn't it be fairly easy for natural gas cars to ultimately be bi-fuel, basically able to burn both nat gas or hydrogen, or any combination of the two?
No, still nuclear fission, but the next generation of fission plants. The process requires very high temperatures in order to facilitate the reaction, temperatures that can be achieved by these new reactors. While most of the heat is still used to produce electricity, some of the primary heat would be used to produce hydrogen at a co-located facility through a chemical process.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #91
Gibroni

Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
How about a hybrid Camaro?

I was reading up on GM's hybrid SUV's and the technology behind it. Seems like they can implement it into any vehicle they can mate the transmission to. The transmission contains 2 electric motors to move the vehicle under 30 mph. After that the gas engine kicks in. I'd love to see this in the Camaro. I plan on getting a 'vert and probably wouldn't drive it over 30 mph to begin with because I want to be seen driving my Camaro 'vert. Sure it adds weight but that's what turbos are for. Who's with me?
Gibroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #92
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
a hybrid myscle car.
sorry. im not with you.

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #93
Mihow

Drives: Something with 4 wheels
Id be really interested in a diesel Camaro, imagine almost doubling your MPG and not losing almost any torque and hp all while saving the environment... but you'd have to make one big leap... and thats change to Bio Diesel
Mihow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #94
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
You haven't seen the specs on a Tesla?

0-60 in under 4 seconds?

And that is a pure electric model. Electric motors deliver full torque at any RPM. A hybrid that emphasizes performance instead of MPG could be quite an animal. And since this is all controlled by computer why not just a setting:

- Beast: Full power from gas and electric motors. Smoke everyone.
- Economy: Make the Prius owners jealous because you get the same MPG in a Camaro
- Balanced: Somewhere in between
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #95
emin7
1st State C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro SIM 2LT/RS
:troll:

If you start one thread and don't get the response you want, there's no need to start another one of the same topic.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #96
emin7
1st State C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro SIM 2LT/RS
Merged threads :-/
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #97
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Go buy a GM Volt. We have 11,500 mile on ours already. Its a cool ride.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #98
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
You haven't seen the specs on a Tesla?

0-60 in under 4 seconds?

And that is a pure electric model. Electric motors deliver full torque at any RPM. A hybrid that emphasizes performance instead of MPG could be quite an animal. And since this is all controlled by computer why not just a setting:

- Beast: Full power from gas and electric motors. Smoke everyone.
- Economy: Make the Prius owners jealous because you get the same MPG in a Camaro
- Balanced: Somewhere in between
The Tesla is very over rated. 0-60 is, if anything, slow for a 100k sports car. And 0-60 is its strong suit? Take a Roadster Sport, Corvette ZR1, and 911 Turbo & I can guarantee you which one will be at the back of the pack in any race.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote