Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #85
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Bemore.. Any problems this morning?
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #86
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Bemore.. Any problems this morning?
Ever since the temp been in the 50's I haven't been getting any CEL. The car seem a little rough still during choke mode but this might just be normal as I understand everybody seem to agree that choke mode is rough.

I'm thinking two things might be happening here. Injector issue or I might just fall in the TSB category and only need a simple reflash. I'm going to just leave it alone and see what happens. If is the injectors I'm sure it will only get worst. I looked at the injector swap yesterday thanks to mike(rtcat) and it does not look fun. Not as simple as port injected engines.

I still haven't heard back from vince but is nothing surprising
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #87
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Uhhh kay... just talk to vince and he think I should just turn the choke mode off which it's primary function is for the catalyc converter anyway. I have no cats and choke mode is the only time when I have my little mishap happening when it does happen, so if it was only a dealer reflash that was needed than I should never have this problem again, but if it's leaking injectors or any other fault than I should know about it soon enough I'm sure.

Tomorrow is a big day!!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #88
Blacktip

Drives: 2011 1LT Silver RS package
So thats good news....? is that choke mode only on manuals?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #89
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktip View Post
Automagics have it too.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #90
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
If my problem was only as simple as dealer TSB's reflash to adjust the cold start choke mode than yes, this would be a good thing since choke start is eliminated and I shouldn't have any more choke mode related issues, but if the problem is with something else than no, I would still have to look for the problem.

Choke start basically mean cold start, or catayst warm up mode. It's there to bring your cats to working temperature fast. I have no cats so I don't need choke mode.

Choke mode is on all V6 camaro manual or auto.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #91
Blacktip

Drives: 2011 1LT Silver RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Automagics have it too.
Automagic I love that, no seriously thanks for insight.

I swear I learn so much from this forum, my buddies probably think I'm some kind of LLT guru
Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #92
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Automagic I love that, no seriously thanks for insight.

I swear I learn so much from this forum, my buddies probably think I'm some kind of LLT guru
I like saying automagics....it's so much more fun to say than automatics....LOL.

And your welcome

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #93
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
My thought would be to check for an intake leak. It's conceivable that that a small leak might seal itself as the metals heat up and expand or be adjusted out at higher RPMs. Easy to check for it by spraying around the intake with ether and watching for a rise in RPM.

Other than that, I've had high compression engines that were sensitive to plug gap so, perhaps the shorter gap might help.

One thing about reading the plugs, to read low speed mixture, you need to look down in the cavity at the base of the insulator. All the stuff on the electrode is high speed indication as it blows across the tip. The low speed stuff swirls down into that cavity and leaves deposits that can be evaluated.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #94
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
My thought would be to check for an intake leak. It's conceivable that that a small leak might seal itself as the metals heat up and expand or be adjusted out at higher RPMs. Easy to check for it by spraying around the intake with ether and watching for a rise in RPM.

Other than that, I've had high compression engines that were sensitive to plug gap so, perhaps the shorter gap might help.

One thing about reading the plugs, to read low speed mixture, you need to look down in the cavity at the base of the insulator. All the stuff on the electrode is high speed indication as it blows across the tip. The low speed stuff swirls down into that cavity and leaves deposits that can be evaluated.
nice...thanks for the info on low speed deposits. how do you read low speed deposits though?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #95
Beauwulf

I took a close look at your plug photos and you may have 2 separate issues. No 2 shows signs of "washing" (clogged injector) from raw fuel on the plug and, both 2 and 5 have what appears to be minor peppering from detonation. Notice the scattered shiny spots on the insulator and around the end of the threads... looks like metal specs from what I can see in the photos... It's possible though that a few specs of aluminum from the port work got down into the cylinder and left the marks.

I would like to see a shot down at the base of the insulator if you can get it.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #96
Beauwulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
nice...thanks for the info on low speed deposits. how do you read low speed deposits though?
By color same as the rest of the deposits. You just rate the color biased toward the rich end a bit. That is to say you will have a slightly darker color at the base than the tip for the same AFR.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #97
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I've heard many times that the plugs can tell a story alot more than most peoples think but I wouldn't know where to start. I know how to compare by looking at online plug pics but that's about it LOL. I know some peoples actually pull out the magnifier to read those things

I don't have any intake leaks so I was thinking it might be the injector. I guess I will find out soon enough.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #98
jamie

Drives: 2011 cyber gray 1LT
Same issue on mine as this... I was having serious misfire on cold start that would continue until the idle came down. Dealer took care of it (Same as below). Problem is now I also have the Trifecta tune, so I hope it doesn't come back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Bemore.. I got a CEL during a cold start last winter. It was a misfire CEL and it was really cold. The engine at the time didn't have a tune. I took it the dealer and they updated the computer to run at a higher rpm during choke to prevent misfires. Good since then. There is a TSB for this.

I know your situation is different but maybe raising the rpm during choke mode may fix your problem.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote