Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #71
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Today had the Magnaflow resonated x pipe installed to kill some drone.Outlaws on the m6, at least the 2012 drones bad on the inside from 1600-2400 rpm while going through the gears in normal driving in traffic. I mean thats all you hear,monotone boom sound.Might as well have the stock mufflers put back on! Car sounds great and just what I wanted but only from the outside or from inside at 2400 rpm on up and not really that loud. 20-25 minutes to work and my ears start to hurt a bit, though I have always had sensative ears to that type of resonating sound so have to deal with it.
Now the drone range is 1600-1800 rpm, drone toned town to livable range around town but still there and a little less on the freeway at 65-70. Also the extreme decel popping is reduced which is good and a little more bottom end torque. Felt I lost some torque of idle with the outlaws and now back and then some through the mid range(or just me but felt more solid) The sound is a little deeper but also a bit more muted and more quiet running through the gears as I expected it would be. But cleaner sounding, not as aggressive as before, though I liked that.
latter will get some insulation flowmaster suggested for the trunk as ther is none and to help with the speakers.

Oh sorry no pics but Its just a muffler and we all know what they look like and didnt have the camera anyway
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #72
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #73
Mr.Maro23

Drives: 2010 2lt chevy camaro
WIFEY'S COME AND GO A BAD ASS CAMARO CAN STAY WITH YOU FOR EVER SO W.E TO THE NAGGING!!!
Mr.Maro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #74
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maro23 View Post
WIFEY'S COME AND GO A BAD ASS CAMARO CAN STAY WITH YOU FOR EVER SO W.E TO THE NAGGING!!!
What are you smoking down in maimi.....
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #75
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
What are you smoking down in maimi.....
Was thinking the same. Must be that Peruvian snowflake
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #76
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
Was thinking the same. Must be that Peruvian snowflake
Sounds almost like old Chinese proverb or something

Besides Wifey one who likes it more then I did! But doesnt drive in it much and not that aware fo the drone.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #77
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
I said you guys would have to do without and use your imagination. Looks like a Magnaflow 4x8x14 two in and two out muffler.Cant see it anyway underthere
Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #78
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
How about a vid showing off the sound of your new exhaust! Time for some Ghost sidemarkers now if you ask me...

Nice work! :5thgenvert:
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #79
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
How about a vid showing off the sound of your new exhaust! Time for some Ghost sidemarkers now if you ask me...

Nice work! :5thgenvert:
Not done yet. And no where around here to do a good vid. To much traffic and noise.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #80
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Magnaflow resonated Xpipe Pics

O,k,, Got some shots of the Xpipe. I also have shots here of the Duplicolor undercoating and sound Eliminator stuff that is rubber compound and should absorb sound a bit. Thought I would give it a try as I am adding duracool insulating panels in the trunk for drone and for the speakers, if it helps drone elimination great, if not better for the speakers anyway. The undercoating didnt eliminate anything but my $ from my wallet and no sound reduction that I could tell on the freeway but around town and up to 40 or so seemed to reduce it some, didnt really think it would, but nothing ventured nothing gained.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #81
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

PICS OF DURAKOOL INSULATING MATS IN TRUNK

O.k. finally arrived and put them in Friday night Sat morning. The resonated X pipe helped quite a bit with the drone in the 1500-2300 rpm range the Outlaws have, actually reduced the drone renge to 1500-1800.Car sounds smoother and deeper but also a bit more quiet but not alot, just right I think. Also decel popping reduced to a nice level and the start up is more civil also. All and all good result.

The Durakool mats I bought from Jegs. They are 1/4" thick composite vinyl dense fiber cloth with the silver heat resistant foil on one side. This stuff used like duramat and the rest for drone and noise/heat reduction.I got 2 mats 48x72 and spray on adhesive delivered for $115.Whats nice is both mats weigh only 9 lbs total so not alot of weight added to the car.

I threw both into the trunk and took a ride to see if they did anything before I did alot of work. I fired her up and yes I noticed a lower start sound, so far so good. Drove around town and on the freeway in "the zone" and it did diminish the drone a bit and made the car a bit more quiet running through the gears, but not much, which is o.k. as sounds good as is but enough to hear more exhaust and less boom or drone, these Outlaws are loud so anything will help and they still will sound good..the freeway speeds is what I was hoping to notice and I did, enough to make it liveable for some but I would like it a bit less, not quite there yet and with the windows open you can hear the drone and exhaust more now then before I did the x pipe and insulation, and with the windows closed it is more quiet, just the reverse so all this did help. I think though that J ipes or in order but want to wait and see if the x pipe seasons and mellows more before I do those.
The pics you see are the cut pieces glued to the trunk panels under the carpet and in the battery well. Also the ones I attached to the speaker/rear deck support. This didnt do anything for sound but maybe help with the speaker and sound quality.I used the carpet as a template and cut out two mats that shape. These lay down and the carpet go's over them.I did one at first then decided to try two, but dont think the second one did much if at all.I didnt do the trunk walls yet other then the rear wall so not sure if that would help. Will try it later maybe
Time will tell as I need to get used to it all and get some miles on it, Also the Magnaflow x pipe will take some miles to break in so that may help also. All in all the mats helped, not dramatically but enough with the x pipe to reduce the drone to almost livable levels on the freeway but pretty good around town and have a nice sounding and fairly aggressive sound.
Attached Images

Last edited by VR Baron; 01-29-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #82
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

CUSTOM FABRICATED J-PIPES TO KILL THE DRONE

Had these fabbed up by Greg at Gene's Muffler in Downey, my long time muffler shop. 2-1/4" Aluminized piped painted semi gloss black except the adjustable end caps and clamps. Length adjusted 29.5" and kills all drone from 1500 rpm where mine started, on up on the stock except axelback 2012 LS3. Exhaust sound is good, more quiet and deeper then before and less decel popping and a bit more low end torque from the resonated x pipe and J pipes. Setup somewhat like the Solo catback but I have the outlaws(tuned muffler delete) and the stock resonators still. Those may go but dont think it will effect much. Overall and NO Drone!!
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #83
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

DELETED STOCK RESONATORS

Last exhaust mod. I removed the stock resonators and replaced with 2.5".Basically I have a Solo with J pipes catback now but with the Outlaw mufflers which sound better then just a muffler delete, and for less $. Not a big thing but they aren't needed with the resonated x pipe in place.Also on one entry pipe to one of the resoantors the pipe is flattened for clearance making that pipe about 2-2.12" in effective size. Only flat spots left are in the mid pipe now.
Sound increased a bit, more defined rumble all through cold startup and idle and accel which I was looking to get, decel popping increased a bit but o.k. rev in drive sounds great! Just wish I could hear the exhaust as good from inside the car as standing behind it!
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #84
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Glad you got it the way you like. Got my new tune put in car is even better now. Just need that TB to get here
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote