Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-14-2024, 09:53 PM   #1
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
6-8 psi longevity

It's been forever since I've posted... still love everyone here... and thank you for all the great advice! I went forced induction 7 years ago and it held up well... finally after 40k miles it twisted a lifter and ate the cam. So that is the answer folks about how much it can take before issue of you're a regular guy supercharging and pushing stock limits... that was a general milage as well because I'm not the expert...but that's my experience so I thought I'd share... now I totally understand what the old knowledgeable people were talking about... regular car with bolt on at 650 hp and 6-8 psi will last for a while... and I did everything quote unquote to support the mods but eventually it takes the toll... I personally took the opportunity to fully build/forge everything and up the boost to 12 psi... another $8k-10k depending on who does it and where... but wanted to share. I'm sure this will help answer some questions for those that are first considering some forced induction. PM me if I can answer any questions or help you with any concerns. Again lots of love for this forum. Talk soon.
SC (SLP TVS2300),
Black wing CAI (designed for SLP SC)
JRE super tensioner
Fuel system (ZL1pump/ADM control module/ID850 injectors)
wheels/tires
NGK TR7IX plugs
MSD wires
ZR1 3 bar map sensor
160° thermostat
Crank pin kit
Navy Chief MoonsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:18 AM   #2
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Thanks! Operate anything beyond designed specs and hope for the best. For you, it appeared to be 7 years. My SBE LS3 ran 7 years before pulling but I pumped up the boost from my max of 15psi up to 17psi and hot lapped it at a Mile event (LSX was being built). I did crack a few cylinder sleeves choosing to do that. The tune provides longevity, at least, in my thoughts (I lived by max-power-rich). You're boosting up now so time for more rock and roll. Enjoy!

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:27 PM   #3
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thanks for sharing. We need more posts like this. Actual experience and real outcomes instead of speculation. I’m glad you came here and took the time to type that up and inform us. You went for a similar build as I did when I blew my stock LS3. But I didn’t get a full-on longevity report. I only got a few thousand miles before my aftermarket high flow cat guts let go, plugged in my x-pipe, and took out my engine.

Enjoy the newly built rig!
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:51 PM   #4
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
A twisted lifter has nothing to do with how much boost or horsepower you are making. The most likely cause is aftermarket, counterfeit or worn lifter trays. Sounds like you have a nice set up-fix and enjoy.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 07:59 AM   #5
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
A twisted lifter has nothing to do with how much boost or horsepower you are making. The most likely cause is aftermarket, counterfeit or worn lifter trays. Sounds like you have a nice set up-fix and enjoy.
+one
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 11:42 AM   #6
4SFED6.0

Drives: 1991 Camaro
I agree with the above posts, a twisted lifter has nothing to do with forced induction. 6-8 lbs is not even taxing a sbe. Just a freak failure.
4SFED6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:50 PM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief MoonsSS View Post
It's been forever since I've posted... still love everyone here... and thank you for all the great advice! I went forced induction 7 years ago and it held up well... finally after 40k miles it twisted a lifter and ate the cam. So that is the answer folks about how much it can take before issue of you're a regular guy supercharging and pushing stock limits... that was a general milage as well because I'm not the expert...but that's my experience so I thought I'd share... now I totally understand what the old knowledgeable people were talking about... regular car with bolt on at 650 hp and 6-8 psi will last for a while... and I did everything quote unquote to support the mods but eventually it takes the toll... I personally took the opportunity to fully build/forge everything and up the boost to 12 psi... another $8k-10k depending on who does it and where... but wanted to share. I'm sure this will help answer some questions for those that are first considering some forced induction. PM me if I can answer any questions or help you with any concerns. Again lots of love for this forum. Talk soon.
A lifter will not turn in the bore unless the cam or lifter fails first.

Something had to grab the lifter and twist it.

Certain brand cams are prone to failure, inspection of the cam by a qualified engine machinist can tell you what came first the chicken or the egg.

This all has nothing to do with the supercharger, boost or Horsepower.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote