Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
ponbigi

Drives: 2011 CAMARO LS
Reduced Engine Power **any ideas**

So on my way to Tucson today, after I kicked on the cruise control, i noticed substantial stutter (jerking) like engine was losing power, regain, lose power, regain etc. Was noticeable but not real bad. On the way home however it was and continued to get a lot worse (over the course of 83 miles). Little background. this is a new llt engine with 6800 miles on it. Was put in the car brand new after major oil change foul up - My car and all other parts has about 52K on it. As i got off my exit and turned to go down my street there was a rather sharp reduced amount of power, so much so, I got the "reduced engine power" on the DIC, Service stabilitrak and 3 other symbols on the tachometer side of the dash. One said "off", the other was squeely tires (zig zag). Reduced engine power warning went away. Any ideas what might cause this? Could this be fuel pump related? I have the extended warranty and of course the 100k powertrain. My car is a 2011, LS, 6 speed manual. Any help would be appreciated.
ponbigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
Well since you just had your engine replaced, take it to the dealer and let them sort it out.
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
To the dealer....again.

Sorry man.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I had the same problem with an engine swap on my vehicle, this issue would happen whenever it was damp outside. Took it to my speed shop and there was a loose wire in one of the AF sensors, they took it apart re-soldered the wires, put it back together and ta-da, problem solved.
Sometimes, just a very minor thing.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponbigi View Post
So on my way to Tucson today, after I kicked on the cruise control, i noticed substantial stutter (jerking) like engine was losing power, regain, lose power, regain etc. Was noticeable but not real bad. On the way home however it was and continued to get a lot worse (over the course of 83 miles). Little background. this is a new llt engine with 6800 miles on it. Was put in the car brand new after major oil change foul up - My car and all other parts has about 52K on it. As i got off my exit and turned to go down my street there was a rather sharp reduced amount of power, so much so, I got the "reduced engine power" on the DIC, Service stabilitrak and 3 other symbols on the tachometer side of the dash. One said "off", the other was squeely tires (zig zag). Reduced engine power warning went away. Any ideas what might cause this? Could this be fuel pump related? I have the extended warranty and of course the 100k powertrain. My car is a 2011, LS, 6 speed manual. Any help would be appreciated.

We apologize for any frustrations that you may be experiencing. You are taking the right steps by going to the dealership to get a proper diagnosis. It might be something that could be covered under your extended service contract. Please let us know any updates!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Couple things come to mind. Do you have an aftermarket intake? It could be a MAF going bad. This sometimes happens when there is a misfire. Wonder if the spark plugs aren't at the correct gap or are fouled.

Might as well take it to the dealer since it is a fairly new engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Check all your wire fittings, contacts. no issues with bad gas? Did you say was there a check engine light?
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
MAF failing I am willing to bet...
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
ponbigi

The car is at the dealership... The check engine light went on as i got to the dealership today... Whats real interesting is I just got an oil change 3 weeks ago, maybe 800 miles on it since then and already down to 62% life..... (1st oil change since new install) No after market parts on this car. Completely stock. I thought it might have been bad gas as well but before I left i filled her up with 91 octane.. pardon my ignorance MAF? Manifold??
Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
ponbigi

One thing I did notice as i got to the dealership and went through the menu. The temp was reading at 212 degrees. thats maybe 10 minutes of driving....
Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor. But if you're completely stock then it probably isn't that. 212 isnt too abnormal, I'm usually sound 205-210 cruising.

You're convered under warranty so I wouldn't worry. But keep us posted what it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Stock these fail far to often as well. FI pushes them to the limit, but there was such a National shortage the past few years most dealers were out of them from so many failures.

Let us know what they find.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
MAF replacement needed most likely. Especially since you said it happened when damp out. The dealer probably never changed out the oil one. And had it sitting around unprotected when doing the engine swap.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III
Old 12-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
ponbigi

It wasnt damp out, dry as a bone that was said by another guy. I just heard back.

They said it was a Throttle Body failure... Covered under my extended warranty... Thank god.

Anyone with more knowledge about these things please let me know.