Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
tbirdsleeve
CMSgt, USAF

Drives: 2018 Nissan Maxima SR Midnight Edit
Talk me off the ledge (hood wrap) PLEASE!!

Ok ladies and gents--I took delivery of my 1LE on Friday night--have kept it in the garage day and night since taking possession--this afternoon was first time I washed her (I had asked dealer NOT to detail her)--well--while it was sitting on the dealers lot waiting for me to take delivery (4 days)--some idiot wrote the word "mine" on the vinyl hood in the dust/pollen--now even after washing I can still see it--like it is burnt into the vinyl--which I find hard to believe after only sitting on lot for 4 days and being garaged since then--I am praying its not permanent--I figure there must be a cleaner or quick mist detailer or something I could use--but I don't dare touch it for fear of making it worse--I figured my fellow 1LE enthusiast might have an idea--if this vinyl is this sensitive not sure how much I am going to like it--but live the looks!

Any advice greatly appreciated--have a great night!!

V/r
Chief
tbirdsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
I'd have the dealership figure that one out, as I wouldn't touch it. Point blank, period. They would have kept the keys and everything else...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
The guy who did my clear bra obviously knows about hood wraps, as well he told my to wipe with alcohol and a terry cloth towel,but i agree with finallysatisfied make the dealer handle this one.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
CalmAero

Drives: broke
Maybe apply some polish to a soft application pad and lightly buff the whole hood. If you try that you should be careful not to stay in one spot very long and do square (up, down/side to side) patterns. I would think that would fix it.
CalmAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
madmax13

Drives: '13 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Like others have said, take some rubbing alcohol on a microfiber and then wipe with a clean cloth. Just about anything will come off that wrap, just make sure to do it in the shade.

Don't use polish or anything else (there are some vinyl cleaners out there but don't have any experience with them. Alcohol has done the trick for me so far!)

Max
madmax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
madmax13

Drives: '13 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP
And who knows if the dealer actually knows what they are doing, knowing my luck it would come back with wax on it :/

Max
madmax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Cooley

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I agree with Finallysatisfied about letting the dealer fix it.

IMHO, if mild soap and water won't make it go away after a couple of washes, the dealer should.

My hood wrap had a flap that had not been trimmed properly and was deflecting the windshield washer fluid flow on the driver's side. I could have trimmed it myself with an exacto knife, but if I slipped and caused a problem with it later, it would be on me, so I had the dealer do it. (AFTER I proved to the service department that it wasn't a dealer installed item...first I had to educate the sales staff...now I have to educate the service staff. )

Better to keep the liability where it belongs.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
racerx1214

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
The adams vinyl care video is a very good how to.

I had a bird stain on mine, and some hard water, that I didn't notice til I got the car home 3 hours away, and instead of trying to warranty it and possibly have the dealer curse of it coming back worse, I used Fine machine polish, followed by VRT, and it looks great, and the VRT makes the hood look awesome, takes away the sort of chalky look and matches the spoiler better, IMO.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I would just remove the wrap, problem solved....this type of stuff will continue to be an issue with the hood wrap....
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
tbirdsleeve
CMSgt, USAF

Drives: 2018 Nissan Maxima SR Midnight Edit
Update--tried rubbing alcohol with microfiber--no luck--guess I will either try Adams products or get dealer engaged although I am afraid they will make it worse--will keep you posted--thanks for the advice!!!
tbirdsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
TJR1952

Drives: 2013 2LT
I keep a bottle of turtle ice spray and clean terry cloth with me. Any kind of stain gets on the paint , i spray and wripe. There is no build up on edge of vinyl and paint. Vinyl and paint are always looking good. Try it , i promise you will like it.
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
Just remove it, you will like it so much better.
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283591
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Yes try Adams or Dr Beasleys matte finish products. The Dr B stuff is a bit pricey but I'll be using it on mine.

Worst case you can remove the wrap (not my preference but everyone has theirs) and have it redone at a later date. For me part of the 1LE package is the wrap / appearance but to each their own.
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote