Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
Car Hauler Opinions

OK guys, I know some of you have been into racing or collecting or what not and have had experiences with enclosed car hauler/trailers.
How about some opinions on what you have experienced? Good brands, bad brands, things to look for, thing to do or not to do.
I am in the market for one and others may be also. So let's hear some feedback negative or positive.
At the time I am considering an enclosed 24' box with a Vee front. An all aluminum trailer. Preferably wired for 110 with a white finished interior. Seems like staying away from any interior siding made from wood is the smart thing as i have seen where the movement and moisture cause warping or swelling.
Twin 5200# axles for sure.
Springs or torsion bars?
Exterior/interior lights?
Good or bad fabricators?
What do ya think?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Watching as well. Needs to be wide enough for those big hips on the car as well. I would say at least 8 ft wide.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Windy City

Yea, the trailer I am looking at is 8'-6" out to out and 8'-0" inside. Mirror tip to mirror tip on the Camaro is 83" or 6'-11". I am wanting a trailer with what they call an escape door, this way you can open the door to exit the car as opposed to climbing out the window!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I see a lot of Featherlite trailers out and about.
http://www.fthr.com/bumper-pull_car-trailer/model4928/

See what the pro teams are pulling, it's one thing to have a trailer that's enclosed, they need one that can take the beating of a racing team working out of it and pulling it thousands of miles a year.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 10-27-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
carriagehousecustoms

Drives: 1ss american iron
I've had enclosed car trailers for the last 15 yrs. Featherlite is the best trailer I have seen and pulled. Pace makes a very nice trailer also. I prefer the torsen axles over the springs. The aluminum frame will save you around 400 lbs. If you use it in the winter it will rust rather quickly the paint that most trailer manufactures use is horrible. I trade off every two years. And generally loose only 1000.00. Most trailers are manufactured in Ind. & MI. I would call some manufactures and buy it direct and pick up.

Dave
carriagehousecustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
dragrcr
2SS 6M

Drives: 2010 2SS 6M
TRAILERS

My Friend has a 24' Featherlite with a "V" nose and he loves it.

Be sure and get 16" wheels and tires. That is essential as it will eliminate about 90% of your tire failures.

I have a 24' Edge and it is not the best, but it was a lot cheaper than the Featherlight and I did not have the bucks at the time. 24' is a good size. I like it.

Make sure you have a good Truck to pull with. ANY of the Diesels will do a great Job. I now have a 2009 Dodge with the factory exhaust brake and I have NEVER touched my brakes yet on any grades I have been on. The Grapevine, grants pass or any of the others........
Attached Images

dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Windy City

Great info everyone, I appreciate all the cooperation! I am going to check out Featherlite.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
firefighter 2SS

Drives: 2010 ABM camaro
Check out Gebhardts trailer sales my brother races and has been very happy with there trailers. They are located in Jacksonville Illinois.
firefighter 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter 2SS View Post
Check out Gebhardts trailer sales my brother races and has been very happy with there trailers. They are located in Jacksonville Illinois.
Thanks for the tip. FYI tried there site and it shows almost everything as sold! None of the secondary pages load either.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
Yea, the trailer I am looking at is 8'-6" out to out and 8'-0" inside. Mirror tip to mirror tip on the Camaro is 83" or 6'-11". I am wanting a trailer with what they call an escape door, this way you can open the door to exit the car as opposed to climbing out the window!
Escape door is cool, but you'll have fenderwells inside the trailer. Usually on a 24 footer, when you open the car door it will tap the fenderwell before it hits the side, so you'll probably still be climbing out the window.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Great prices is enclosedtrailersforless.com speak with Tim woods. He quoted me '24x8.5 with 5200 lb axles for $4595.00. Our cars weighing in about 4000 lb plus the trailer will need a payload of at least 7500 lb. So I would suggest the 5200 lb axles instead of the normal 3500 lb. In Douglas, GA I would say 80% of the enclosed trailers are made. There are about 100 different resalers in the area as well.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #12
SS/GA

Drives: '68 SS396 - '98 Z28 - '10 2SS
"All Aluminum Constuction" - brands to consider as well

ATC out of Indiana and

the Cadillac of "All Aluminum Constructed Trailers" = GOLDRUSH out of PA

Go big on your axles / springs and brakes (I'd get 6 lug wheels min. (prefer 8 lug wheels)

IMO - I'd rather be a bit too stout and not need it, than to overload it and end up braking something!!

SS/GA
SS/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/GA View Post
"All Aluminum Constuction" - brands to consider as well

ATC out of Indiana and

the Cadillac of "All Aluminum Constructed Trailers" = GOLDRUSH out of PA

Go big on your axles / springs and brakes (I'd get 6 lug wheels min. (prefer 8 lug wheels)

IMO - I'd rather be a bit too stout and not need it, than to overload it and end up braking something!!

SS/GA
Thanks SS and yea I am only going with an all aluminum trailer. No sense hauling around an extra 700 to 1000 pounds for nothing.
ATC is actually one of the 3 companies I am considering. Also Featherlite and R & R Trailer. ATC are Cadillac like, but there cost is is pretty high too. I have to weigh quality and uses per year. Having a hard time justifying 20K for 6 or 8 uses a year.
I don't understand some of the manufacturers putting out a 4400# curb weight trailer with dual 3500# axles. That just seems stupid!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
SS/GA

Drives: '68 SS396 - '98 Z28 - '10 2SS
check out Trailer listings at www.RacingJunk.com

I know there are some really good buys out there right now, and you are lucky to be so close to the manufactures and many dealers nearby in IN - IL - OH & PA

Good Luck!!

SS/GA
SS/GA is offline   Reply With Quote